Just One Bolt... And a Trigger Review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Just One Bolt... And a Trigger Review

Post by IronNoggin »

About two weeks and change ago I decided to (finally) put the new Trigger Tech triggers in both my Matrix 380 and my Partner's Exomax. Installation went smoother than I would have guessed, and I was downright pleased with myself for managing it so flawlessly. :lol:
And of course, I was then indeed ITCHIN' to shoot them both.

Ah, but Life has a way of getting in front of the best laid plans, and so it was I found myself down on the Coast, chasing salmon, and still wondering how the triggers might work out. Finally got home for but a day, and of course was instantly off to check the bows out...

I was immediately Impressed by the new Triggers! In fact I have several rifles with match triggers (used to shoot competitively) that would be downright envious!
While the factory triggers in both bows were OK, the difference between them and the new ones was literally Night & Day! VERY Sweet! No creep, instant wall that breaks crisp and clean every single time! Impressive!

I wish I could say the same for my shooting! :(
While my Partner was grouping 1/2 inches at 60 yards consistently, and purring about just how much the new trigger was helping him do so, I was all over the dial with the Matrix. Ugh! I've been either out-shooting him, or at least keeping right up out to 80 yards, and that particular day, could not get them to stay within an entire foot. Checked the bow over, saw nothing amiss, tried again with the same sad results. That (thankfully) was a rather short shooting session, as I once again had to run to the Coast to chase down a few more Finny Friends for clients...

Another week stole by rapidly, all the while I was pondering just what could possibly be wrong... Besides the dismantling, trigger install and re-assembly, the only other thing I had done was to put a piece of that 3M™ Polyethylene Tape (and Many Thanks for that most excellent tip Enormous!) for the full length of the underside of the arrow retainer. None of this seemed like a "show-stopper" to me, and I was downright confused about the whole issue... :cry:

Then, today I found the time, and my Partner was free, so off we went to find out...

While he once again put them dead center at 50 yards, I carefully went over each and every bolt on the entire bow. All that I had worked during the install were tight. Crap! Then I decided to go over all the bolts I had not touched. Walla! Even though the scope and rings had come off as one unit, one of the bolts that hold the scope to the rings (left closest to your eye) was right loose! Could it be so simple?? Tightened it down, and gave it a whirl. 2 inches right, 2 inches high, four shots consistent at 50!! HUGE wave of relief!
A minor tweak, and bang on! 1" high Dead Center at 50 every single time! Now THAT's the Matrix I know & LOVE! Shooting less than 3/4" groups at 50 I once again fell head over heels for Her!

And again, the trigger performed most exceptionally! I spent a lot of years shooting long range competition with rifles, and shorter range IPSC with pistols. Thus I developed a profound love of a Great Trigger. And this one VERY Much Is! :D
Before anyone goes there on the "warranty" thing, let me simply state that any product of this Quality is extremely unlikely to cause any issues whatsoever IMHO! For those who have been toying with the idea, my advise is Give It A Whirl! I cannot possibly imagine you'd be anywhere even near "disappointed"!

After figuring the bow issue out, we went wandering in search of one of our overly large Black Bears this Island is famous for. Wish I could report we found him, but the only wildlife we laid eyeballs on were a couple of Blacktail does, and literally the smallest bambi I have ever seen! He must have only been a day two old, and right plumb full of P & V as he joyously bounced all over the hillside in front of us!

All in all, a day well "wasted"! I am once again more than confident in my bow, extremely pleased with the new trigger, and ready to wander in search of Blackie again in the very near future! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

PS: I had NO Idea that but a single bolt could cause such issues! Now I'll be checking each and every one on a rather frequent basis!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Normous

Re: Just One Bolt... And a Trigger Review

Post by Normous »

Yup, one screw loose and your all over the map. You can probably tighten your group some and make your friend envious using some Black Eagle Zombies out of your 380.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

enormous wrote:Yup, one screw loose and your all over the map.
You can say that again Norman! I was certainly getting Frustrated given how well it had preformed previously, and trying to figure out the issue. Simple little thing, but WOW! What a difference!! :shock:

'Course then there are a handful of my Buddies who might suggest I've had "a screw loose" for a considerable period of time now... :lol:
You can probably tighten your group some and make your friend envious using some Black Eagle Zombies out of your 380.
We'll both soon be shooting some rather Fine Black Eagle Executioners from a rather well known Maker :wink:
They'll be the same weight, only difference will be his will run 20" whereas mine will be 18.25". Guess it will all be in the hands of "The Shooter" soon! :lol:

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

With all that bragging on such a fine trigger, I bet Boo's head is swelling. :mrgreen:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

UPSMAN wrote:With all that bragging on such a fine trigger, I bet Boo's head is swelling. :mrgreen:
Let's not forget about those Marvelous Strings either!! :wink: :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

IronNoggin wrote:
UPSMAN wrote:With all that bragging on such a fine trigger, I bet Boo's head is swelling. :mrgreen:
Let's not forget about those Marvelous Strings either!! :wink: :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
Trading post
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Normous

Post by Normous »

[quote="JPjunkie"
Trading post[/quote]

Nope, that is a classic Vancover Island Excalibur Crossbow Hunting photo.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

enormous wrote:[quote="JPjunkie"
Trading post
Nope, that is a classic Vancover Island Excalibur Crossbow Hunting photo.[/quote]
Looks beautiful Would love to hunt there
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

enormous wrote:Nope, that is a classic Vancover Island Excalibur Crossbow Hunting photo.
aYup!! :wink:

Just a simple shot of the new Matrix in it's natural habitat is all! :D

It IS Beautiful JP. The Missuz & I moved here and I then informed her we would be but two years before heading back to the Arctic - was thinking Alaska at the time due to a rather generous offer from their Gov. Then some Silly Fool found out all about Salmon, Steelhead, Backtail Bucks, HUGE Black Bears, Island Elk and so on. Been near two decades now, and I really don't think we're going Anywhere! :lol:

You ever get the chance, you should check it out first hand! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

IronNoggin wrote:
enormous wrote:Nope, that is a classic Vancover Island Excalibur Crossbow Hunting photo.
aYup!! :wink:

Just a simple shot of the new Matrix in it's natural habitat is all! :D

It IS Beautiful JP. The Missuz & I moved here and I then informed her we would be but two years before heading back to the Arctic - was thinking Alaska at the time due to a rather generous offer from their Gov. Then some Silly Fool found out all about Salmon, Steelhead, Backtail Bucks, HUGE Black Bears, Island Elk and so on. Been near two decades now, and I really don't think we're going Anywhere! :lol: When I read your posts sometimes I can feel the ground under my feet as your walking I enjoy your posts thank you

You ever get the chance, you should check it out first hand! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Boo

Post by Boo »

Don't forget boys, it's a Trigger Tech unit. I did not tart up Matts trigger.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:... I did not tart up Matts trigger.
LOL! True it is a Trigger Tech product, but unless I am woefully mistaken, you were the original "tart" that lead to these were you not? :lol:

Cheers!
Nog
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Can,t wait till I can afford a couple of those fine triggers ! they sound like the cats meow! it,s great to see that people are making such fine products to go with our fine bows ! like arrows ,strings,triggers, an everything else to help us all be better shooters an hunters! I take my hat of to all for there work an effort for our gain . Thanks !!!!!!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

IronNoggin wrote:LOL! True it is a Trigger Tech product, but unless I am woefully mistaken, you were the original "tart" that lead to these were you not? :lol:

Cheers!
Nog
LOL! But I don't wear a robe like Dennis does!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:LOL! But I don't wear a robe like Dennis does!
:lol: :lol: :lol: