Has anyone shot the old Fred Bear 2 blade heads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Has anyone shot the old Fred Bear 2 blade heads?

Post by Riflemanz »

Has anyone shot these Fred Bear 2 blade heads in their crossbow?I was wondering how they performed?I might have to test them out of my Matrix 355 and see how they fly!I also have some rocky mountain 4 blade heads that weigh about 140grs.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Ont_Excal

Re: Has anyone shot the old Fred Bear 2 blade heads?

Post by Ont_Excal »

Riflemanz wrote:Has anyone shot these Fred Bear 2 blade heads in their crossbow?I was wondering how they performed?I might have to test them out of my Matrix 355 and see how they fly!I also have some rocky mountain 4 blade heads that weigh about 140grs.
LOL!
We must've gone to the same school of archery in years past.

Those bear heads have slots cut into them for bleeder blades to be installed.
I gave up on them after I bought a faster bow than my Ben Pearson Shadow. Alignment was to critical and I could not get them to fly very well.
I still have my first set of Rocky Mountain 3 blade heads at 11/2 cutting diameter and weighed in at 130 grains not sure of weight but I may throw them on a scale sometime.
They were both very well rated at the time. I don't think todays bows would shoot them with any consistency. I amy try my Rocky Mountains just for fun before deer season rolls around.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot the Magnus Stinger 2 blade out of my Vortex on a 550gr total weight arrow. They flew perfectly for me. I had about a 1.5" group with 4 different arrows at 40yds. It's not the Bear Razorhead, but pretty darn close to it.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Sold my bear head to a Ebay collector many moons back. Great heads for sure.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
Bugflipper

Post by Bugflipper »

Can't say what they would do in your fast bow. In my 280 fps bow they are 2" to the left of field points at 50 with big helical blazer vanes. They are 5" to the left and a few inches high with 4" small hilical vanes. The 4" vanes also don't penetrate as well so guessing there is a whole lot of plaining going on. I have several left from back in the day so they get used for varmints. Broadheads are expensive these days. A raccoon, possum or coyote isn't worth the expense of a new head since inevitably it's going to find a rock.
I wouldn't knock anyone for using them, did for years with a bow. There's just a whole lot better available these days. With the power you are shooting you could use a broadhead with a whole lot more cutting area than that bear. Heck I'm using a 2 1/2 " 2 blade mechahical with an ibex.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I haven't owned any of them since the 80's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I tried both out of my Axiom ,20 yards or so they flew ok but out at 40 4-5 in. groups were the best I could do and if it was a little windy they seemed to drift a little more. But I will keep a Bear head in my quiver for a beater head.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

yes. I shoot them in my exocet 200 very accurate. out to 50 yds. (my limit) I use 2219 magnums with 3" flex fletch vanes. no complaints at all...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
ohioexocetfan

Post by ohioexocetfan »

Not sure about the Bear heads, but the Rocky Mtn, foget it! Planed on me big time... never sure where they were going to end up. (Exocet 200)
THE ORIGINAL
Exocet 200
100g 1" Slick Tricks
GTII w/ 2" Blazer vanes
Boo "Ohio State" string

THE UPGRADE
Matrix 380
Hawke Pro 30
100g 2" Swhackers
18" Executioners w/ 2" Blazers
Mike Collins string
billygoat

Post by billygoat »

You cant compare them to magnus heads, I can shoot my magnus out to 50 with a 2" grouping. Very consistant with zero drift, i have trouble getting my mechs that tight to be honest. I think they are one of the best fixed blades on the market for xbows. Just my 5¢.
Equinox 225lb with S5 system
ShadowZone scope
Gold tip laser II - Firebolts - Horton lightning strike w luminoks.
Excalibur x-act 100g -Magnus stinger buzzcut 100g
If you love something set it free if it doesnt come back hunt it down and kill it!!
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

billygoat wrote:You cant compare them to magnus heads, I can shoot my magnus out to 50 with a 2" grouping. Very consistant with zero drift, i have trouble getting my mechs that tight to be honest. I think they are one of the best fixed blades on the market for xbows. Just my 5¢.
yes. magnus are excellent. never had any accuracy issues with those either, I just wanted to try them out, (bear) with my x-bow. been shooting bear heads with my compounds for over thirty yrs.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks