Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Oppie

Re: trail cam's up yet?

Post by Oppie »

One camera???
Think I have @ least 8 maybe 10 out at the moment :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Disturb the deer??
I check em with my Polaris an my little dog rides along of coarse.
But I can stand in the back of the Polaris Ranger an get em 8-10 ft high.....
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

when you put cams up 8/10 feet how or what do you use to get it pointing at the right angle to hit the spot
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

mr meat wrote:when you put cams up 8/10 feet how or what do you use to get it pointing at the right angle to hit the spot
If your back off the side of the trail a little bit it doesn't take to much of a angle, I mostly use a stick wedged behind the top of the case. My area is side- hills anyway, steep ones at times.
Some guys have built mounts to allow em to tip an angle any way they want.
Camera ball mounts, speaker mount's come to mind, there's many more I'm sure.
I build my own trail cams so I can also use any kind of mounting method I can dream up.
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

mr meat wrote:when you put cams up 8/10 feet how or what do you use to get it pointing at the right angle to hit the spot

I've made camo camera holders and bear proof ones, but now that I put them up higher I use a very simple and basic 90 degree piece of bendable metal like this.

I simply cut one end to about four inches long and drill a hole to which I use a 1/4 inch carriage bolt and a wing nut to attach the camera, and then two holes on the other end to screw to the tree.

Set up like this you can easily bend the bracket down to the angle you want, and adjust it left or right before tightening the wing nut.

Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Google "homemade trail camera mount" you see some ideas fo sure!

Here's a cool one, not mine though, in Pa you cannot damage a tree with nails or screws, unless it's yours on your own property.
bracket002Small.jpg
bracket002Small.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Bullzeye wrote:

I've made camo camera holders and bear proof ones, but now that I put them up higher I use a very simple and basic 90 degree piece of bendable metal like this.

I simply cut one end to about four inches long and drill a hole to which I use a 1/4 inch carriage bolt and a wing nut to attach the camera, and then two holes on the other end to screw to the tree.

Set up like this you can easily bend the bracket down to the angle you want, and adjust it left or right before tightening the wing nut.

Very nice an inexpensive camera mount. I have 3 out right now getting some bear,deer and turkey pics over my mineral sites. I don't use the black flash but my IR cameras seem to work great.

I just bought 2 Moultrie A-5's from www.eders.com for about $59.00 a piece I thought that was a great deal for an IR camera. I will have them out soon so I'll let you know how they work out if you're interested. Good Luck with them
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I keep my cameras out year round. I can monitor when the deer drop their antlers and know when to go looking, I can monitor the fawn drop and know what the crop is looking like, watch the buck's antlers grow and speculate which deer is which from last year.

Plus, you get the pictures of other critters. Earlier in the spring off of 1 memory card I had pictures of gobblers strutting, hen turkeys, jakes, gray foxes, fox squirrels, gray squirrels, coons, rabbits, coyotes, deer, a coon dog and another misc. critter or two.

As for the type, I like Moultrie cameras and have had good luck with them, so that's all I run. The D-55 is a good camera as well as the D-555. A lot of people for some reason only get 1-2 gig memory cards. With those, you run the risk of filling them up if you don't check the camera for a while. Call it overkill, but I always get 16 gig cards. The cameras will usually accept up to a 32 gig card, but a 32 gig card costs too much. The 16 gig cards aren't too expensive and I've yet to even THINK about filling one up!
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

Big58cal wrote:I keep my cameras out year round. I can monitor when the deer drop their antlers and know when to go looking, I can monitor the fawn drop and know what the crop is looking like, watch the buck's antlers grow and speculate which deer is which from last year.

Plus, you get the pictures of other critters. Earlier in the spring off of 1 memory card I had pictures of gobblers strutting, hen turkeys, jakes, gray foxes, fox squirrels, gray squirrels, coons, rabbits, coyotes, deer, a coon dog and another misc. critter or two.

As for the type, I like Moultrie cameras and have had good luck with them, so that's all I run. The D-55 is a good camera as well as the D-555. A lot of people for some reason only get 1-2 gig memory cards. With those, you run the risk of filling them up if you don't check the camera for a while. Call it overkill, but I always get 16 gig cards. The cameras will usually accept up to a 32 gig card, but a 32 gig card costs too much. The 16 gig cards aren't too expensive and I've yet to even THINK about filling one up!
i normally leave mine out for a long time, but with my new job i am far too busy.. haven't had the chance to get out yet.. i love the moultrie and am strongly considering going back to one.. i bought a spypoint and i hate the damned thing.. in due time i guess.. just gotta figure out how to properly use this one, the instruction manuals gives absolutely no proper instruction..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
_woods

Post by _woods »

Cams and stands going up today.
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

X-bow rook, which Spypoint did you get, I've had Moultrie, Bushnell and a couple Spypoints, and the Spypoint is the easiest to use.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

keep mine out most of year but havent been out in a while to swap SD cards.Need to go in the next week or two.
Does anyone else hunt where they have cows? Cows seem to love the cameras. I guess they can hear them. They nudge 'em with their noses, lick 'em, whatever.If the cameras arent secured pretty well you will go back and camera is pointing a diff direction, and has mud-slober all over it, and sometimes a tell-tale pic on card.I always wanted to know what happens beside a feeder! :lol:
Last time I swapped caeds it was still pretty green and didnt have very many pics. A few deer and a few hogs. Cant wait to see soon.
houser52

Post by houser52 »

I use rubber door stops from the dollar store.Wedge shaped and lets me adjust the angle, made from rubber and won't rot.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I already have 4 cams up, haven't gone back to check them, except for one, which all I got were does and fawns, the bucks still shy LOL
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Hey Paul, over on one tract of land right now, I've got 3 cameras. 2 are Moultrie cameras that are mine and 1 is a Bushnell that is my brother's. All 3 cameras are within reach of the deer, but actually the 2 Moultrie cams are actually lower to the ground than the Bushnell. I don't know what it is about the Bushnell, but every time I swap out the cards in the cameras, the Bushnell has at least 8-10 pictures of "close-ups" of the deer. I'm talking noses, eye balls, tongues, etc. LOL!!!! The Moultries, nope. I might have a picture every now and then of a deer looking at the camera, but none licking the camera like the Bushnell.

Don't know what it is about that camera, but they definitely like it. I'm the only one changing the cards, so there's nothing different on the outside of them. The only thing I can think of is that the Bushnell must make some kind of weird noise when it triggers, whereas the Moultries don't.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

When i had my cams down low i used to get a lot of up close pic of the animal right on top of the camera, especially bears, which usually ended with a broken cam. I found once I started wearing surgical gloves while handling them it eliminated most of these close in counters.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone