Problem with Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A/M/G

Problem with Equinox

Post by A/M/G »

Hello new to the forum and crossbows.
I recently purchased a used equinox. I shot it several time before buying it, all good. Brought it home, waxed the string and shot it using the same bolts that came with it. The bolts are excalibur firebolts. The second shot it sounded like it dry fired, the bolt went about 10 yards, the target was 20 yards, and slid under the grass. Luckily I was able to find the bolt. Inspected the the blot and entire bow all looked good, extra emphasis on the limbs. Regrouped and shot again, first shot fine, second shot same thing, only this time could not find the bolt. Inspected the bow again all looks good. I was only using 2 bolts. I do not know if the same bolt did it both times. I weight the remaining bolt with the field tip it weighted 398.8gr well beyond the minimum 350gr. The only difference in the shots before I bought it and at home was:
1--The bolts had broadheads on them, I remove them and put field tips of equal weight.
2--waxed the string
3--The bolts had flat illumina nocks , excalibur recommends flat nocks. I turned the nock a little bit to the loose direction to prevent them from coming on when shot, maybe a half turn.

Any ideas,as to what could be causing this, I am worried about blowing up the bow.
A/M/G

Re: Problem with Equinox

Post by A/M/G »

After looking at the nocks they simply press in, not screw in, so that eliminates the nock.
_woods

Post by _woods »

Are you making sure the bolts are properly seated prior to firing? Not saying this is the case, but general excitement can often lead one to overlook such details. (Been there, done that)

Congrats on the new bow! :)
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

_woods wrote:Are you making sure the bolts are properly seated prior to firing? Not saying this is the case, but general excitement can often lead one to overlook such details. (Been there, done that)

X2 Also check arrow retainer making sure there is enough down pressure to not allow arrow to slide forward until fired.
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Just another thought you may want to have a look at the string height in relationship to the arrow rail it should be firm when you try to pull the string away from the rail in the unloaded position ie: no gap between the rail and the bow string
hope this helps
happy shooting

Joe
Boo

Post by Boo »

shaftthrower wrote:
_woods wrote:Are you making sure the bolts are properly seated prior to firing? Not saying this is the case, but general excitement can often lead one to overlook such details. (Been there, done that)

X2 Also check arrow retainer making sure there is enough down pressure to not allow arrow to slide forward until fired.
I'll make it a third person agreeing. It's called a partial dry-fire and I've done it often enough.
Some people just like stepping on rakes