Group Consistency With Phoenix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Group Consistency With Phoenix

Post by 8ptbuk »

Im shooting GT 2's with Blazers vanes and 110 gr insert with 100 gr points and at 30 yds Im getting 3 in one group at 5 O'clock and 3 more in another group at 12 O'clock . Ive tried rotating the vanes to try to get them to group together but doesnt seem to help . Need some consistency . Thanks for any Suggestions
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
diesel

Re: Group Consistency With Phoenix

Post by diesel »

That can be a problem with the cheap made GT II . If you were to use a spine tester ( Like the RAM spine tester ) I bet you would see the 3 to have about the same spine and the other 5 would have a much different spine. Some of the time you can get them to group by just turning the shaft 120 degrees. Some time if you take all the shafts and shoot them with out any fletching till you get them to group. Mark them so you know where to put the vanes they will group for you.
Try using a 125 grain field tip. Where is the FOC set ?
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Sorta thought the cheaper arrows might be some of the problem . Was considering trying some executioner's and seeing if they would give me a little more consistency . My FOC would have to be high with blazers and brass inserts . Is this a common problem with crossbows ?
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
chopfather

Post by chopfather »

I shoot executioner's made by Big John with my ibex and they are super consistent. I'm using 100 grain field points to bring them to 400 grains.
Member of the P.A.D. Club
Excalibur Ibex
Hawke SR Scope
Wyvern quiver mount
S5's and Dis Bars
Custom Thumbhole Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The Phoenix with the same arrow is the most accurate bow I own. Check screws fortightness, loose reticule or even canting the bow.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Cossack wrote:The Phoenix with the same arrow is the most accurate bow I own. Check screws fortightness, loose reticule or even canting the bow.
Some very good points here as well.

I have taken so GT II's and shot them bare shaft @ 20 yrds and they would very 6 inches or more . Then roll then shaft and have them only var. 1 inch at 20 yrds. Don't get me wrong you can get GT II's to shoot and shoot well but you may have to work with them.
For me I will buy the BE made arrows . I will be getting some Spinal Tapp shafts form Jerry at South Shore Archery.
PSEWOOD

Post by PSEWOOD »

Might want to try XX75 2216 Eastons E-blank has them very affordable at around $38.00 -$40.00 per doz shafts.
frisky

Post by frisky »

I too use the GT2 arrows. My answer is sight in with one arrow, and use that arrow for hunting. For target shooting I shoot that arrow over and over. I get in a lot of walking that way! :lol: :lol:
frisky
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Just got back inside after shooting for a few hours and think I can get by with my GT 2's this year for hunting . I shot at 40 yards and had 5 out of 9 that would shoot into a 2.5 inch group dead center . The other 4 were hitting 4 inches low and 2 inches left . Started turning vanes and shooting and finally got those other 4 close enough to hunt with . Something that really helped today was taking notes on every arrow shot and which vane was in the slot . a harris bipod on the front and a sandbag in rear really locks the sight down . Thanks for all the suggestions . Quality arrows are a must with these x-bows .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Bugflipper

Post by Bugflipper »

I have victory x-bolts. No fliers out of the 6. Also just got some black eagle zombie slayers. No fliers out of the 12. Can put 3 of either into a Copenhagen can at 50 shooting off my porch rail in a lawn chair with an ibex. With a solid rest and chair I imagine it would be a little better. Props to vixenmaster strings though that's a good shooting bow with no arrow tuning done.
strum

Post by strum »

8ptbuk wrote:Just got back inside after shooting for a few hours and think I can get by with my GT 2's this year for hunting . I shot at 40 yards and had 5 out of 9 that would shoot into a 2.5 inch group dead center . The other 4 were hitting 4 inches low and 2 inches left . Started turning vanes and shooting and finally got those other 4 close enough to hunt with . Something that really helped today was taking notes on every arrow shot and which vane was in the slot . a harris bipod on the front and a sandbag in rear really locks the sight down . Thanks for all the suggestions . Quality arrows are a must with these x-bows .
i would spin test those arrows and see if the points are all concentric..
if the arrows were not squared up properly or the inserts fit a little loose(causing glue build up on one side) ---OR --the tips are not all the same and or damaged..then youll see differences...whichever the case may be a spin test will show it up..maybe someone on here will have a pic of their home made spintester ..hope this helps..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16