Best Target Bag/Block

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Best Target Bag/Block

Post by Species8472 »

I just picked up my new Matrix 380 and wondered what people are using for target bags/blocks.

I have a block that I have been using with my Exomax but it is difficult (not impossible) to remove bolts and occasionally I snap one off while trying to remove it.

I am hesitant to use it with the Matrix due to the shorter bolt length combined with the extra snap. I don't want to have bolts that are buried so deep that the fletching gets damaged and/or are impossible to remove - especially given the cost of the Diablo bolts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
automated11

Re: Best Target Bag/Block

Post by automated11 »

Rinehart 18 in 1 works very good for broadheads and field points and the Morrell Bone Collector square Bag target works good for field points only.
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Species8472 wrote:I just picked up my new Matrix 380 and wondered what people are using for target bags/blocks.

I have a block that I have been using with my Exomax but it is difficult (not impossible) to remove bolts and occasionally I snap one off while trying to remove it.

I am hesitant to use it with the Matrix due to the shorter bolt length combined with the extra snap. I don't want to have bolts that are buried so deep that the fletching gets damaged and/or are impossible to remove - especially given the cost of the Diablo bolts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe, were you able to remove the rest of the broken arrows from the Block target? Purchase yourself a bottle of Woody's Arrow Lube or Arrow Snot that will help you in removing your arrows.You only need to rub a couple of inches up from your insert and it will spread the rest of the distance it needs to go by itself. I am also using the Rinehart 18:1 target, it handles broadheads and field points. Enjoy that beautiful new crossbow and post some pictures please. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks,
Raymond
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Was not able to remove the broken ends - can't even see them. I marked the locations on the block with magic marker so that I don't inadvertently shoot at those spots on the target.

Thanks for the advice - I'll pick up some lube today.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

Boo

Post by Boo »

The Danny Miller arrow puller will go a long ways to helping you pull the shafts out. I was shooting into a block at 10' with a 380 and easily pull the shafts out.
In the link below you'll see the puller.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=48754
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

x-2 on the danny miller arrow puller best invention since the wheel! :D
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I just ordered the rinehart 18-1 target from Gander Mountain for $99.74 delivered to my door!I hope it will stop my Matrix 355 arrows!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D :lol: the puller does make a big differnce. give it alittle twist as you pull. they come in handy. hope to see that bad boy at boofest.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Boo wrote:The Danny Miller arrow puller will go a long ways to helping you pull the shafts out. I was shooting into a block at 10' with a 380 and easily pull the shafts out.
Yea Boo we know you would have to get a step ladder to get on top that block target to put both feet on it so you can pull your arrow out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

diesel wrote:
Boo wrote:The Danny Miller arrow puller will go a long ways to helping you pull the shafts out. I was shooting into a block at 10' with a 380 and easily pull the shafts out.
Yea Boo we know you would have to get a step ladder to get on top that block target to put both feet on it so you can pull your arrow out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
While we're at it Larry. Are you coming to Boofest? Danny may be on his own coming up this year and it would mighty neighborly of ya to keep him company you know! :mrgreen:
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Thanks for all the great replies. I have ordered an 18-1 and it will arrive at the local bow shop on Friday. Those pullers look great - I think I can copy that design with an old pair of side cutters.

I would love to come out to Boofest but I think the wife has plans for that weekend. I have a honking potato cannon that runs off of a large compressor and has an 800 yard range with potatoes or when loaded with 2 lbs of mini marshmallows is great for scrambles with the kids at 100 yards.

Boo

Post by Boo »

Joe, I forgot to say that for field tips the Third Hand Rag Bag filled layered clothing works really well. If you make it to Boofest I'll give you one (minus the clothing).
76chevy

Post by 76chevy »

I shoot at a black hole target now and it leaves a lot to be desired. I have shot out the middle so can only shoot corner spots now or risk going hunting for a bolt..... :D
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Black hole target is useless.Buy the 18-1 rinehart,i shot it today with my 355, field points and broadheads and it stopped them all.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Just purchased a Ballistic 450X bag and am very favorably impressed. It's large, relatively light and arrows with field tips come out with two finger pull. TMD for $84. I have 5 self-made bag targets out and they work albeit arrow removal can be a chore it you hit say denim material. My 355 fps arrows tended to sink into some of them ergo the 450X. This one stops the fast arrows in their tracks.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!