Bear Hunting in Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

automated11

Re: Bear Hunting in Ontario

Post by automated11 »

automated11 wrote:draw one that splits the bear vertical from tip of nose to tip of tail.

I just found a little more info on this and the recommended shot is the middle verticle line from the front of the chest to the tail. Not the tip of the nose to the tail.
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
miv

Post by miv »

A couple of tips I have for you is to use internet sites and youtube etc... that will teach you how to identify bear size. Miss judging bear size is a huge problem for a lot of people. This is very important, it is easy to tell bear size on tv but in real life it can be very difficult. Also a common mistake people can make when they are harvesting bears in Ontario is their expectations. People either over estimate the size of the bear (very common mistake) and harvest one too small (lots of ground shrinkage) or they have unrealistic expectations and wait for the monster bear that they probably won't see. Someone once said to me if you want to harvest a bear come to Ontario if you want to shoot a trophy bear try Manitoba or Alberta. As far as the bugs are concerned it varies year to year but more often than not it's really bad, last bear season wasn't too bad, I didn't even use the therma cell once but the year before was brutal. Another tip is if you see a nice bear come into the bait and have a good shot right away wait a minute to see if she has cubs following her. I had this happen twice in one evening last year, a nice bear appeared gave me a perfect shot but I waited a minute or two then 2 cubs walked in. This situation repeated it self again in the same night with another sow with 3 cubs. Although it is legal to harvest a wet sow in Ontario (sow with cubs) it is very unethical. As far as Sunday hunting, it is allowed in the area your going to. Good luck, looking forward to seeing the picks!
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Thanks alot for sharing your knowledge!
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Myself and a lifelong friend are going on a bear hunt the first week in Sept. It is my friends first out of state hunt so he is pumped. Yes, I've heard the bugs are doing well this year. Also the cell phone and two way radio's do not work so if a person hits one the best is to sit tight and wait for your ride. One other thing is the darn bears like popcorn. Its my favorite to so that's another reason to shoot one. :lol: Good luck to all the bear hunters out there. Lots of pics!
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I moved two baits this weekend and surprisingly the bugs were not bad at all. A few more close to swamps but very good. One pc of advice to you all that are hunting. Do not bring that secret Bear smelling attractant to add to the baits sight. I have seen more baited hunts go sour when a new smell appears. Believe me a bear outfitter/guide knows what he is doing.

Always treat the guide with respect and kindness it always goes a long way too :wink:
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Although the chances of an attack are very remote, when I was hunting bear with my crossbow, I would have a shotgun at the bottom of the tree for when I got down at the end of the day just in case. Bear spray isn't a bad idea either.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
lscha

Post by lscha »

We are taking a small but powerful marine air horn. They are small enough to fit in the backpacks comfortably and are 112 db. And.......less than $12.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Will be leaving for Canada early Tuesday 13th morning, I cant wait! Time just flew getting to this point! Time to get some blood on the new matrix!
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

Dan/kingfish

Post by Dan/kingfish »

The weather can change very fast coming in off the lake, the area has had a few good dumps of rain in the past while so soft shoulders on the roads and potential wash outs are likely. Good luck.
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Thanks for the heads up! I am packing all of my hunting clothing I have. I have 2 sets of goretex one a color I like for hunting the other should be good around camp. I am going to be camping so I'll be taking a tent with tarps and a 10x10 pop up shelter to keep some of the rain off.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

footed shaft

Post by footed shaft »

All great tips so far. As far as a shotgun, u will not likely ever need it, if i was you i would just carry pepper spray. In most bear swamps, about the time u see one ( if he REALLY wants u) its hard to get a gun pointed in the right direction and get a shot off. Carry the pepper spray in a holster on your belt. I have seen so many people carry it in their packs, it's totally useless in there folks if the fit hits the shan!!!
Be patiant when a bear comes in. It's NOT like deer hunting where most of the time u have very few seconds to make the call as to wether u want the animal or not. Once a bear is comfortable at a bait, he/she will hang around and give u the broadside shot u need. DON"T panick if they leave, 9/10 times they will be back in a few mins.
As far as shot placement, straight up the back of the front leg to the 1/2 way point on the bear is an excellent choice. They are NOT hard to kill IF u put an arrow through both lungs. Like mentioned before, sit very quietly and listen for the death moan. It has happened on about 1/3 of the bears i have taken ( and it is eeery ).
Like Adrian said do NOT introduce any new scent to the site, bears get very comfortable with the smells and sounds from the guides. If u go introduce something new , u will likely kill the bait.
Lastly do NOT forget your blaze orange !! U need it any time u r moving ( quad/ walking etc) . Once u r in the stand it can be removed .
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Thanks alot for the tips!

I will be leaving tomorrow morning at 2am for White River, Ontario! Season opener is Thursday. It will be about a 14hr ride for me to get there.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

Boo

Post by Boo »

Kinda cute? Ya gotta be kidding me Moni! If that tree were on my property I'd burn it down!
Air horns and pepper spray? Hehehehe, some bear will be having loud farts smelling like pepper!
Misjudging size? Ya gotta be kidding me! They are all too FREAKING BIG!
Death moan? who wants to hear that? I wouldn't sleep for months! :shock:
Chance of an attack might be rare but when it does happen they like to eat their meat fresh! :shock:
Bears? They weird me out in a very bad way! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Boo wrote:Kinda cute? Ya gotta be kidding me Moni! If that tree were on my property I'd burn it down!
Air horns and pepper spray? Hehehehe, some bear will be having loud farts smelling like pepper!
Misjudging size? Ya gotta be kidding me! They are all too FREAKING BIG!
Death moan? who wants to hear that? I wouldn't sleep for months! :shock:
Chance of an attack might be rare but when it does happen they like to eat their meat fresh! :shock:
Bears? They weird me out in a very bad way! :shock:
Boo, your too funny!!!! :lol: :lol:
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
ranger

Post by ranger »

I have not been bear hunting in 30 years, the last hunt I was on my inlaw shot a bear and that Death Moan did me in :shock: and I havn't hunted bear since but if I get a chance too again in Mn I'm in, think I have waited long enough and it wont bother me now.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.