Bear Hunting in Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ranger

Re: Bear Hunting in Ontario

Post by ranger »

I have not been bear hunting in 30 years, the last hunt I was on my inlaw shot a bear and that Death Moan did me in :shock: and I havn't hunted bear since but if I get a chance too again in Mn I'm in, think I have waited long enough and it wont bother me now.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Boo wrote:Kinda cute? Ya gotta be kidding me Moni! If that tree were on my property I'd burn it down!
Air horns and pepper spray? Hehehehe, some bear will be having loud farts smelling like pepper!
Misjudging size? Ya gotta be kidding me! They are all too FREAKING BIG!
Death moan? who wants to hear that? I wouldn't sleep for months! :shock:
Chance of an attack might be rare but when it does happen they like to eat their meat fresh! :shock:
Bears? They weird me out in a very bad way! :shock:
You look like the type of guy that may desire bear paw soup every now and then.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

enormous wrote:
Boo wrote:Kinda cute? Ya gotta be kidding me Moni! If that tree were on my property I'd burn it down!
Air horns and pepper spray? Hehehehe, some bear will be having loud farts smelling like pepper!
Chance of an attack might be rare but when it does happen they like to eat their meat fresh! :shock:
You look like the type of guy that may desire bear paw soup every now and then.
Ewwwwww!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Big John

Post by Big John »

Well I have a group going to Bear camp again. We leave on Friday morning. I'm setting up 3 Bait stations. Staying at my Cottage. We are all using Bows again this season. No back-up weapons. :wink:
My favorite time of year! Nothing better than going into the woods not knowing whats hiding all around and up ahead at the bait! Oh Yaa!!! 8) :)
Then coming down in the dark and walking out to the Truck with all those noises in the thick bush!!! Gets the hair straightened out good and stiff !!! :lol:
I Freakin' Love Bear Hunting!!!!!! :D :D :D

Good Luck to all going.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Big John wrote:Well I have a group going to Bear camp again. We leave on Friday morning. I'm setting up 3 Bait stations. Staying at my Cottage. We are all using Bows again this season. No back-up weapons. :wink:
My favorite time of year! Nothing better than going into the woods not knowing whats hiding all around and up ahead at the bait! Oh Yaa!!! 8) :)
Then coming down in the dark and walking out to the Truck with all those noises in the thick bush!!! Gets the hair straightened out good and stiff !!! :lol:
I Freakin' Love Bear Hunting!!!!!! :D :D :D

Good Luck to all going.

Big John
When your as big as the bear theres not as much to worry about :shock: :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Had a great time in Ontario but didn't get a bear. I was suppose to hunt till today but my father who came with me decided that camping in the bush wasn't for him after 5 days :( I didn't want to make him miserable so I went home early. The guide we had was very overwhelmed and needed more help. He was a very nice guy when you saw him, which wasn't much. He made a lot of promises to me and the 3 other guys that were camping with us but he never came through on them because he was too busy with his other customers closer to town so we were left out in the bush to fend for ourselves. We were around 40-50 miles out in the bush on a dirt road approximately 1hr 20 minutes to the nearest house. Typically here in Pennsylvania you can run into something in about 1/2 hour or so. So I believe that is what had my dad anxious. I did see one bear that was probably in the 200-250lb range on the second day but he didn't present a good shot. The guide realized he did wrong and offered me a free hunt next year. I think I'm going to do that but expect what happened this year and be more prepared to handle things on my own. I got to meet Laura very briefly at the camp ground she was staying at. Sorry we didn't have time to talk much Laura we were trying to get home at a reasonable time and my father was rushing me... I will be on the trip solo next year or taking a friend that would like to fish while im out hunting. BTW Fishing was excellent from shore. The guide was suppose to provide us with a small fishing boat but that never happened. Some Canadians that were camping a little ways from us offered us their boat for a few hours but we got too busy. They said they were catching pickerel by the boat load, and when I saw them out on the water pulling them in I believe it! All in all had a good time and I'll be ready with all my stuff for bush camping next year!
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

You must of had bad childhood experience after reading goldilocks and the three bears. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

automated11 wrote:Had a great time in Ontario but didn't get a bear. I was suppose to hunt till today but my father who came with me decided that camping in the bush wasn't for him after 5 days :( I didn't want to make him miserable so I went home early. The guide we had was very overwhelmed and needed more help. He was a very nice guy when you saw him, which wasn't much. He made a lot of promises to me and the 3 other guys that were camping with us but he never came through on them because he was too busy with his other customers closer to town so we were left out in the bush to fend for ourselves. We were around 40-50 miles out in the bush on a dirt road approximately 1hr 20 minutes to the nearest house. Typically here in Pennsylvania you can run into something in about 1/2 hour or so. So I believe that is what had my dad anxious. I did see one bear that was probably in the 200-250lb range on the second day but he didn't present a good shot. The guide realized he did wrong and offered me a free hunt next year. I think I'm going to do that but expect what happened this year and be more prepared to handle things on my own. I got to meet Laura very briefly at the camp ground she was staying at. Sorry we didn't have time to talk much Laura we were trying to get home at a reasonable time and my father was rushing me... I will be on the trip solo next year or taking a friend that would like to fish while im out hunting. BTW Fishing was excellent from shore. The guide was suppose to provide us with a small fishing boat but that never happened. Some Canadians that were camping a little ways from us offered us their boat for a few hours but we got too busy. They said they were catching pickerel by the boat load, and when I saw them out on the water pulling them in I believe it! All in all had a good time and I'll be ready with all my stuff for bush camping next year!
Nothing worse than someone who gets in over their head and then you to hear the constant pissing and moaning.
Unless you really like the area, I would find another outfitter. Plenty around who do a really good job. I don't judge a guide by the number of animals that get hung, but by the effort put forth.
Nobody can guarantee that bears will show up during hunting hours.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Don, I'm with you 100%.

Bears and spiders - both pretty much freak me out. Although I'd rather be stuck in a canoe with a spider than a bear.

Tim laughs at me when I watch bear hunting clips on youtube - my hands get all sweaty and my heart rate goes through the roof.

Having said that I wonder if going on a hunt might help "cure" me? Hasn't 'worked for spiders yet though! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Ont_Excal wrote: Nothing worse than someone who gets in over their head and then you to hear the constant pissing and moaning.
Unless you really like the area, I would find another outfitter. Plenty around who do a really good job. I don't judge a guide by the number of animals that get hung, but by the effort put forth.
Heck we didn't even hear pissing and moaning he was just never around... He was like the elusive yeti!
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Man, if I paid good money and the guide was no where to be found, I'd start hunting him. What a shame that you lost out like that. Myself and a friend are going up to NW Ontario on a bear hunt the first week of Sept so I hope are luck is better.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

automated11 wrote:
Ont_Excal wrote: Nothing worse than someone who gets in over their head and then you to hear the constant pissing and moaning.
Heck we didn't even hear pissing and moaning he was just never around... He was like the elusive yeti!
I wasn't talking about the guide doing the moaning. You left early ...... right?
Pick your hunting partners carefully.
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Ont_Excal wrote:
automated11 wrote:
I wasn't talking about the guide doing the moaning. You left early ...... right?
Pick your hunting partners carefully.
I didn't mind leaving early after the experience with that guide. I know if I stayed I would have no issues getting a bear, but getting a bear isn't everything.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Sorry to hear your trip was mucked up a little by having a overwhelmed guide.
I think spending time with your dad and taking him as a partner was the best choice you could have made ..I would have taking mine to. Your review of your hunt didn't sound like pissin and moaning to me but a bad experience with some one that didn't deliver what they should have no matter if you were prepared fully or not ...your first trip how could anyone be?