Scopes, Sights, and 10,20,30,40...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowhardcases

Scopes, Sights, and 10,20,30,40...

Post by xbowhardcases »

Ok, been using a crossbow for a while now and just have not found the right scope / sight combination that I really like.

This year I bought a matrix 355. I switched the tact-zone scope out for a bolt XR. The optics are super clear but I am not a huge fan of the yardage circles.

I sighted in and am on at 20, and 31. And pretty consistent at 48... which is based on the estimated speed of my bow with the stock diablo arrows and 125 grain field points.

Here is my problem. Most all of my shots in the field are 25 yards or 35-40 yards. literally every deer I have taken has fallen within these ranges. In-order to hit the mark at 40 I have to hold the target about half way between the 30 and 48 yard circles on the bolt scope. when shooting at rest I can do this ok. but with a deer in sight in the field this becomes more challenging.

In the past I have used a Hawke XB Crossbow Scope 3x32 (on pheonix), Bushnell 3 dot red dot (on pheonix and tenpoint), open sight mount (on tenpoint)...

In the field I really want to have something that is accurate at 10 yard increments.. 20, 30, 40, 50... Is there a scope out there that is comparable in optics to the bolt that can dial me in at these ranges on my matrix 355.

what about the varizone? what about the new hawke XB compact? I don't need illumination, not a big fan of it because it washes out the target.

Or if someone has suggestions on a multi sight pin set-up, I do have a modified open sight I have been working on but wondering if anyone mounted a traditional bow sight on their crossbow

thanks!
steve rodo

Re: Scopes, Sights, and 10,20,30,40...

Post by steve rodo »

Get a optimizer to mount your scope to ,shoot any yrdg you want to accurately .Use you scope if you want to .You can adjust according to your needs ..
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

steve rodo wrote:Get a optimizer to mount your scope to ,shoot any yrdg you want to accurately .Use you scope if you want to .You can adjust according to your needs ..
seen the optimizers but they are pricey and would rather not have to adjust in the field with a live target in front of me. But thanks for the tip, I should take a closer look at them
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

xcaliber wrote:Redfield Revenge!
So does this have a speed dial? where is each range on the reticle?

steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Truglo 1.5-5X32 Crossbow Scope w/Illuminated Reticle & Black Finish Md: TG8515BLC

this one has range lines in it like you want .but you still have to range your game to know what line to use .unless you shoot a lot to know to judge distance.
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
ranger

Post by ranger »

The XB-30 is a nice scope or XB-1.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I highly suggest the Leupold crossbones 2-7x33mm crossbow scope if you want a ballistic reticle, non illumination and the proper speed dial range up to 425FPS. Made in the U.S.A. Full lifetime warranty if ever needed, superior glass clarity and only weighs 9.9 ounces.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
massbow

Post by massbow »

How about tryin the tach zone that came with the bow!!!!
Team 355
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

Hey Excaliber, how does the rangefinder feature work in that Redfield? Got my 380 today and the Tact Zone that came with it is pretty nice. It's very bright and clear but I like the thought of leaving my range finder at home.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... urkey+plex

Above is a link to my posting, Leupold Turkey Plex reticle for ranging deer.
yooper_man wrote:I mounted the Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun/muzzleloader NWTF edition scope in Dark Earth finish with a Turkey Plex reticle on my Excalibur Equinox.

The center circle is 6.5 inches at 45 yards set on 4x magnification. My daughter's 7 point buck deer mount's ears and bottom surface of the nose muzzle measures approx 6 to 6.5 inches long. I don't like to shoot beyond 30 yards, but this might be a cool tool to determine if the deer is within 45 yards. All depends on how the deer is standing and if it mature, so if the ear looks too big in the circle then its under 45 yards.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I would never buy a crossbow scope for any of my bows. I like the shotgun scopes or regular rifle scopes an a quality scope with good glass ,duplex,no fogging up. I now like a 25yd sight in an no icons of any kind to have to think about when deer are in range in front of me an just worry about where to hold an when to shoot . with the single crosshair an some practice it,s no problem to put an arrow where you want without having to look at a bunch dots or lines. the less I have to think about the better for me when concentrating on making the shot.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Masboy wrote:I would never buy a crossbow scope for any of my bows. I like the shotgun scopes or regular rifle scopes an a quality scope with good glass ,duplex,no fogging up. I now like a 25yd sight in an no icons of any kind to have to think about when deer are in range in front of me an just worry about where to hold an when to shoot . with the single crosshair an some practice it,s no problem to put an arrow where you want without having to look at a bunch dots or lines. the less I have to think about the better for me when concentrating on making the shot.
Absolutely my max range is 30 yards, so I use my Leupold center crosshair from 0-30 and squeeze the trigger.

Andrew

Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

I was considering that too Masboy. I have a Leupold VX3 1.5x 5x20 heavy duplex that I'm not using that I was thinking about using on my 380 instead of the Tact Zone. I used to shoot one pin on my verticle bows and I like the simplicity of that.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Just because I shoot a single crosshair don,t mean I wouldn,t be dragging him home at 38yd. old Kentucky windage an elevation here an I know my arrows path very well from lots of practice :lol: :lol: :lol: but I have missed up close before :shock:
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

xcaliber wrote:So, if a buck of a lifetime strolls out at 38 yards? :shock:
Well I zero my center crosshair at 25 yards, but I have practised out to 40 yards. I tested this 40 yard distance using the bottom of the turkey plex reticle circle. I use my Leupold scope set on 4x. I want to be able to react quickly from 0-30 yards holding center of the lungs behind the front shoulder. My daughter loves the Leupold over the Shadow-Zone, she told me the Leupold is easier less cluttered and less confusing.

When I stillhunt by myself I can quickly estimate yardage. In most cases if I attempted to use a ranging device the game would have fled for the time allowed.

I don't own and have never used any type of range finding device. When I hunt with my daughter out of our 2 person ladder stand I've measured off 30 yard maximum distances that we both know. Our rule is 30 yards maximum, so I wouldn't send a arrow out to the 38 yard mark it's just not worth the risk.

Dan, it would be hard, but I have let bucks walk before if the shot isn't right.

Andrew