new hunter questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jimma

new hunter questions

Post by Old Jimma »

Hello Forum People:

This year will be my first year for deer hunting. Bow Season starts in GA in 5 weeks.

Last year I spent 6-7 outings simply scouting with my GPS and topo maps. On my outings, I found lots of signs (deer track followed by coyote track followed by bobcat track) and/or saw deer and turkey and learned where they like to hide. I've got some good ideas on where to set up, and where else I want to sneek arround to look more.

My 2 questions are about gear.

First, do I need rubber boots? I'm not hunting swampy marshes or anything like that. What is wrong with hunting with my hiking boots? I've had them well-covered with baking soda to remove smell. They are made of man-made fibers for the most part. IT IS NOT COLD HERE IN GA, EVEN IN DECEMBER. I DON'T NEED A SNOW BOOT. Should I be thinking of a quiet camo boot? What is your advice?

Next, I can see the advantages of having a climbing stand... alot more vision of what is going on after setting up but the disadvantage of hauling clunky gear arround. Do you all recommend one?? Please give me some tips on what type/make of stand I should be looking for, if you think it is essential in my first year.

Many thanks,
Old Jimma from the Old Country
Old Jimma
(from the Old Country)
steve rodo

Re: new hunter questions

Post by steve rodo »

Where you at in ga ?
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

I'm up in western WI, so our needs are a little,different, but in general, my prioriy for hunting clothing is

1) quiet - soft quiet materials. Noise is a hunters worst enemy
2) comfort - especially footwear
3) dry- nothing worse than being wet, and that includes your body moist. Jackets and boots Must be Gore-Tex so they are waterproof and breath. I've tried to other Gore-Tex like materials - ie Gander Mountains H2O - not the same. And yes boots must be water proof and breathable as well. Many mornings, hiking in through Wet Dew laced grass can result in feet just as wet as getting caught in a down pour.
4) warmth/cool. - layers - layers - layers - particularly during full day hunts - You can add or remove layers when in the field as the day changes. A heavy insulated jacket will always be warm, but as the day warms up, it may be too warm. Many a day I've started out with a cold 20 deg morning, turning to a warm 65 deg afternoon, followed by a cool 40 deg sunset.

From there, it depends on how and where you hunt. Camo is always versatile. I wear my Camo goretex jacket and pants for, deer rifle, turkey, archery deer ... I don't really need it for rifle season, and have to wear a blaze hunting vest over it, but it meets/exceeds the 4 primary criteria. If hunting from a ground blind or an elevated platform with a skirt around the base, camo pants/boots are not needed. Even with out something hiding you legs/feet, camo boots aren't critical. I've hunted for years in Merrell hiking boots and Sorrels and Columbia winter boots. As long as they aren't hot pink or neon green, and the meet the first 4 criteria, they will work. I never could find a pair of camo boots I liked until a couple years ago, and never had any problems.

As far a scent elimination, I've found as long as I wash all my gear (including T-Shirts, under wear, soaks.....) in scent free detergent, use masking sprays, and shower with scentless soaps, it works as charcoal absorbing system (although I do have some of it as well).
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
chicotrout

Post by chicotrout »

Anytime you are hunting deer in bow range (40 yds and under, some would even say 30 yds and under), you are trying to defeat the animal's acute sense of smell, hearing and eyesight. Their senses are much better tuned than human's are and therefore you try to equalize your chances at getting them that close to you by denying them the opportunity to sense you. That being said, you should try to do everything in your power to fool them which includes rubber boots if you can afford them. Rubber does not hang on to odors like porous materials do and it will equalize the playing field more for you.

I'm not saying that you can't hunt without them, I'm just saying your chances at getting close to deer without spooking them get better with every little detail you address to defeat the deer's senses.

I wish you lots of luck and I hope you enjoy the thrill of the hunt as much as the bagging of the animal and understand that you have undertaken a wonderful pursuit but a very difficult one nonetheless and it may take you a while to bag your first animal. I think it wasn't until my 4th season of archery before I got my first deer, although I'm not as good a hunter as lots of other folks on this forum.
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Checkout Cabelas's knee high uninsulated rubber boots for early season hunting . I like the air-bob soles model if there still being produced , for colder weather Muck boots are hard to beat . I Guide for a living and Ive used these for years . Hope this helps .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Dbl. Post :oops:
Last edited by Bullzeye on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Been hunting almost 30yrs, best thing I can tell you is to play the wind, as for boots I would say it depends on how far you have to walk into your stand, rubber boots are tiring to wear on long hauls.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

No Rubber Boots = No Venison
They really make all the difference in the world. I stopped getting busted in tree stands once I stopped wearing leather boots and switched to a high quality knee high rubber boot, I would recommend Muck or Lacrosse in that order :!: :!: Good luck :D
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
wabi

Post by wabi »

I usually wear rubber boots.

Now, having said that I have a question for all those who believe rubber doesn't hold scent.
Why do dogs mark car tires???????????
wabi
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Chris Dillard wrote:No Rubber Boots = No Venison
They really make all the difference in the world. I stopped getting busted in tree stands once I stopped wearing leather boots and switched to a high quality knee high rubber boot, I would recommend Muck or Lacrosse in that order :!: :!: Good luck :D
Agreed, that's why trappers all wear rubber boots.

A deer does not always believe what it sees or hears but always trust their nose.
A deer survives by its nose and rely on their nose for everything. It warns them of predators and hunters. Hunting the wind is the best way to beat that nose.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I don't know how old you are but summit makes some of the safest and lightest climbers on the market, if you have land you can put a ladder stand in with out it growing legs better yet.Your not going to fool a deers nose and I don't give a dam if you put a wet suit on, I've trapped off and on for a long time and I used rubber gloves to handle the trap make the set no rubber boots unless I'm after rats and that's because of water. It's already been said the wind can help you or hurt you, if your set up hunting and the wind changes have a back up plan and make a move if you can even if it's hunting from the ground because when winds wrong there's nothing man made that's hide you from a deers nose, jmo and what I've been taught and learn in my life time in the woods. good luck

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

wabi wrote:I usually wear rubber boots.

Now, having said that I have a question for all those who believe rubber doesn't hold scent.
Why do dogs mark car tires???????????

good point :!: :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I don't wear all rubber boots. I don't wear my hunting gear in my vehicle, while eating or any other activity other than hunting. In the early fall I once stalked a buck stocking foot, by using the wind and he never smelled or heard me.

I have still hunted alone most of my life and its still the most successful for me. Being able to outwit by stalking within 10 yards is exhilarating.

Knowing your wind = success!

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

If you plan on hunting up a tree don't forget your Hunters saftey system vest and 30' lifeline.You don't need a fall and the small amount of money for the vest is nothing compared to medical costs.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

And never ever make eye contact with a deer, if you do it's game over!
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100