HELP! Exocet 200 w/peep vs Axiom pkg

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

liberty71

HELP! Exocet 200 w/peep vs Axiom pkg

Post by liberty71 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to crossbow hunting and need some help with a buying decision...

I have $500 to spend at the moment. I might be able to buy an Exocet with only a peep sight for $430 (and no accessories), or I can buy an Axiom SMF pkg for $489.99 on Amazon (free shipping) or Walmart.

I have a Leupold VX I 2-7x28" Rimfire scope (parallax set at 50 yards) with 1" rings that I'm not using. If I use this on an Exocet, I'll be at 200 lbs (max limit in Ohio), but I'll have to buy everything it doesn't come with.

If I buy the Axiom SMF, I have everything I need to get started for deer season (minus the broadheads), and I guess I can keep my Leupold rimfire scope or sell it.

So a few things come into play: the practicality of using my scope, the old 175 lbs vs 200 lbs argument, the money I'll still need to fork out to get accessories, etc...

What should I do??? What would you do?
Normous

Re: HELP! Exocet 200 w/peep vs Axiom pkg

Post by Normous »

This is my opinion, get the Exocet #200 and put your Leupold on it since it will compliment the optics side very well. You can start a post in the trading post looking for the additional items needed to complete your package at a decent price compared to purchasing new. Welcome to the forum.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

enormous wrote:This is my opinion, get the Exocet #200 and put your Leupold on it since it will compliment the optics side very well. You can start a post in the trading post looking for the additional items needed to complete your package at a decent price compared to purchasing new. Welcome to the forum.
X2 the 200 lb platforms are GREAT bows. The Leupold scope is a GREAT scope. You can come up with the other stuff pretty cheap on here and have a really super set up.
liberty71

Post by liberty71 »

I appreciate both your feedback. Do you feel it has more to do with the extra 25 lbs, the aluminum frame, or both?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Both, also you will need a rope cocker & a stringin aid plus arrows field pts n BH's & an extra string & some type of quiver to keep the sharp BH's away from other stuff. Keep yer fingers & thumbs down below the mainframe rail or you may lose part of them to the strings & it feels no pain!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Normous

Post by Normous »

liberty71 wrote:I appreciate both your feedback. Do you feel it has more to do with the extra 25 lbs, the aluminum frame, or both?
I am eying the extra 25 pounds and the #200 platform is great as already mentioned. Polymer or aluminum, both are good.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bowmaker

Post by bowmaker »

I am fairly new to the crossbow scene, but I would go the other way with the Axiom, which is what I did back in March. If you can get it for under $500 you can take it to the back yard if you have a target and shoot it as soon as you put it together. The scope might not be the greatest but is more than adequate for 20 or 30 yard hunting shots. The quiver is also ok and it comes with a rope cocker which you should use. It come with 4 Firebolt arrows which are good stuff also. Before hunting you will want to get some Bolt cutter broadheads and probably another 6 or so Firebolts to help practice and still have dedicated bolts for the broadheads. I feel like the 175# Axiom will kill anything in the midwest that I want to shoot, mainly deer and turkeys as well as the 200# Exocet. It is also easier to cock because the power stroke is an inch shorter. I understand that the limbs are the same on both bows as well so the speed and draw weight difference is strictly due to that extra inch. The extra speed of the Exocet might make it shoot a little flatter, but if you set up the scope correctly and practice enough it becomes a moot point because the bolt is going to hit where the scope cross hairs are locked on regardless of the actual bolt speed. While the different frame material might sound better I don't think that for a first bow that it will ever make any real difference at all. Get the Axiom, a great almost everything you need package, and then upgrade later as you get more experienced or get the speed itch.
spike

Post by spike »

I'd go with the Axiom package. You'll be ready to go right from the start. At 175 lbs you will have all the bow you need. It's easier to cock and easier on strings which will make it more pleasureable to practice. It is also as accurate as the exocet which is a great bow but more work to use. Either way you end up with a great bow.
ROGER
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My vote is for the Ecet and Leupold, what I shoot now......Get the extra goodies from Dan Miller.......
"Eze 18:21"
kysdad

Post by kysdad »

I just picked up an Axiom at a local Dick's Sporting Goods for $499. I am already in love with this thing. Having said that, I can tell you that the Excalibur bug has bitten me bad and I will more than likely buy an upgrade next year and keep the Axiom. If you start out with the Exocet, you'll be an upgrade ahead. :D
Matrix 350 LE
Spynal Tapps
Spitfires
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Go with the Exocet and add to it like everyone has said ....then it will be more personal than a package deal .....ebay is another good place to hunt and shop for accessories ....you can find string makers, Arrow builders and some other stuff in the trading post.

I have added to a few crossbows like that and those are the ones that have more history to tell than a package deal ...JMO
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!
First thing, read the Ohio regulations again. :wink:
Crossbow – draw weight no less than 75 lbs. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed minimum 3/4 inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.
The 200# limit was removed a couple years ago.

I would probably go with the Axiom, but then I've hunted with the 150 & 175# models since I started using Excaliburs over 10 years ago. Never felt like it was a disadvantage, and I've killed deer every year.

I prefer the Leupold scope, though. I use a Leupold 2-7 "shotgun" scope on my Phoenix.
wabi
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Keep the Leupold and use it on whichever crossbow you choose. If you choose the Axiom, swap out the scope for the Leupold.

Of the two, I would choose the Exocet 200 and pickup only the accessories you need, such as scope mount, quiver, I suggest a (munch) quiver mount I also suggest Leupold's rifleman detachable low rings and S5 system. Change out the stock string for a high quality inexpensive custom flemish made string from Dan (xcaliber) The 3 colored string in my pictures below are from Dan (xcaliber)

Here is a picture of (munch) lite quiver mount.

Here is a picture of my Equinox wearing a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm scope with Leupold's rifleman detachable low rings.

Lastly call Dan Miller's for his arrow pulling pliers and heavy duty stringing aid. Total price was $44,00 shipped. He is a very pleasant man.

You will have a premium setup over the Axiom package.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
liberty71

Post by liberty71 »

[/quote]
The 200# limit was removed a couple years ago.
[/quote]

Interesting, thanks. The article I read was published within the last year and it still sighted the 200 lb limit. I checked ODNR and they removed it. I couldn't find anything in the revised code either.

With that said, I can't afford anything over 200 lbs anyway, and I don't know if I want to work that hard either. ;)

Thanks for everyone's input.
liberty71

Post by liberty71 »

Well, long story short, the Exocet deal fell through, so I guess I'm buying the Axiom. At $489.00 I can't really go wrong. I also have a sneaking suspicion that, in the next year or two, Excalibur is going to introduce their new limbs across their product line. Maybe I'll upgrade at that point. Until then, there's something to be said for starting out with a less powerful bow. I'll throw the Leupold on the Axiom and I'm sure I'll love it like everyone else.