Need for speed ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Need for speed ?

Post by Masboy »

We have a equinox my son hunts some with that I never shoot anymore an I cut back an made a bowfishing bow from my vortex an only have my vixen to hunt an target shoot with an love it . all the deer I,ve shot with it had a pass thru an found my arrows sticking in the ground or laying on the ground an have not lost an arrow yet.
We have guns from a 340 w down to 223 an mostly hunt with the small cal.can only kill them so dead an just don,t see the need with a well placed shot. as far as my bow range is I just don,t need a more powerful bow an worry about the drop because I know where to hold on deer at my range limit . if I know the range I know where my arrow will hit after lots of practice .

now I have a reason to get a matrix but I just don,t think I would shoot it much after being use to the easy cocking of the vixen. I run more arrows down the rail of this vixen than you can imagine an love every minute of it . just don,t think I would enjoy anything harder to cock on long shooting sessons anymore.
vixenmaster

Re: Need for speed ?

Post by vixenmaster »

OK we can tell when a man starts gettin abit old :lol: Shoot on stick n love it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Point well made Masboy. I hear you on the long shooting sessions. I don't think I can pull a 380 or 355 the 40-50 times I pull my Ibex in a long session.

Hopefully, down the road, it will be fun to see what Excalibur comes up with regarding "Baby Matrixes". A Vixen equivalent in the Matrix line would be seriously tempting. :)
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Same here. I have a 365 fps 'speed bow,' a vortex (my 'hunting bow') but I shoot the easy to cock Phoenix the most when practicing.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I must admit i love the speed, faster & faster i urge me Vixens on! In fact i have 2 of the 3, able to get above 300 fps! :D Smoken! I do have my E'cet 200 up at 334 fps wid a 355gr arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I really don't need the speed to much.To me it's all in shot placement.It only takes 35lbs of ke to kill a deer with the right lethal shot.
I do like speed ,it help's to get it out further and so on .But ideally my comfort zone is 10 yards to 47 yards.Anything beyond that i might flinch,Especially free hand on a deer.
I can blast target's all day long and be dead nut ,Target's don;t move .

I practice doing long range shooting 60 to 80 yards everyday ,so my short range is all good to go ,tighter group's and .

My new arra's will be better then these Diablo's .
Now ive got 3 Diablo's left that are straight .Ive shot the diablo's out i guess.lol If that's possible. :D :D

A couple click's up for the new Arra's .ill be set .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I have an Equinox and have been tempted to by a new Matrix crossbow. I can't wait to see them come out with the Matrix line-up with a Phoenix rail or even a Vixen II rail, I will buy a new crossbow immediately then.
Raymond
liberty71

Post by liberty71 »

I wish they would make a model with a variable speed setting. If all you have to do is vary the length of pull, from an engineering standpoint, it should be very doable. I guess it might not be profitable to do that though.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

liberty71 wrote:I wish they would make a model with a variable speed setting. If all you have to do is vary the length of pull, from an engineering standpoint, it should be very doable. I guess it might not be profitable to do that though.
Ten point makes one it is called the GT flex would be cool to see an Excalibur done the same way
Tenpoint Matrix
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Dereck wrote:
liberty71 wrote:I wish they would make a model with a variable speed setting. If all you have to do is vary the length of pull, from an engineering standpoint, it should be very doable. I guess it might not be profitable to do that though.
Ten point makes one it is called the GT flex would be cool to see an Excalibur done the same way
Would be nice to see one like it. Unfortunately then we would only need one bow.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The Mission 320 and 360 also is adjustable, in fact so much so one can change strings without using a press BUT it's a 'wheelie.' :?
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Masboy,
You could look at it like this.......the heavier bow would let you shoot a much heavier arrow at the same speed you are shooting now. Pass thru's are the name of the game and I want that even on a "less than perfect" hit. Heavy arrows are really stable in flight, absorb more energy from the bow, and make it a lot quieter.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

steve rodo wrote:It only takes 35lbs of ke to kill a deer with the right lethal shot.
It's not just all about KE. If it were I don't think anybody shooting any modern crossbow would ever not get a pass through. IMO impulse force, momentum, inertia, and arrow/BH mechanical integrity play a larger role than KE when it comes to putting an arrow through an animal. And those are more influenced by arrow mass than speed. You can have an arrow with a high KE and a relatively low momentum, but not vice versa. If an arrow has a high momentum, it will have high KE too.
Here is an example from the Excal data.

Vortex = 330fps with 350gr arrow and FFF string
Momentum = 0.512 slug-fps, KE = 84 ft lbs

Using the 5gr = 1fps rule of thumb (which I find pretty accurate)

Vortex = 260fps with 700gr arrow (350gr/5 = 70fps slower)
Momentum = 0.807, KE = 105

A momentum above 0.65 or so is what many consider to be "high".

There are some youtube videos about shooting hogs where a guiy shoots his "deer setup" at a hog and then his "hog setup". Deer setup ~ 400 gr arrow goinf 325fps. Hog setup is ~700gr going in the 260fps range. Hog arrow goes through the hog everytme - right through the shield. Deer arrow - never gets more than 1 lung (shooting through the shield)
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><