Cocking mechanism doesn't work after dryfire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tee

Cocking mechanism doesn't work after dryfire

Post by Tee »

Had an accidental dryfire.

Now the cocking mechanism doesn't work, i.e., the bow string doesn't trip the string claws (?) when pulled back. The claws seem to be frozen in place. The trigger is free to move and has no effect on the claws. The safety lever works and blocks the trigger when set on safety. The claws are just frozen. I think they are frozen in the down position. When I try to move them with a small dowel laid across the top and gently pulled back like the bow string when cocking, the claws will not move.

I tried WD-40. No effect.

Is this something that a non-expert can fix? Or do I need to find a trained excalibur crossbow mechanic?
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
vixenmaster

Re: Cocking mechanism doesn't work after dryfire

Post by vixenmaster »

Which model Excal ? Does it have a ADF ? If'en not flip yer safety & try pullin yer trigger to see if'en the claws will flip up
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
frisky

Post by frisky »

Souinds to me like it is cocked. Try with the dowel, safty off, push forward like the string. Do the latches/claws go forward?
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Tee

Post by Tee »

xcaliber wrote:Pull the trigger, sounds like it is in the cocked position.
Tried that.

The trigger "floats" free. It doesn't seem to be connected to the claws at all.

Maybe the claws are cocked, but the trigger mechanism is disconnected??
Tee

Post by Tee »

vixenmaster wrote:Which model Excal ? Does it have a ADF ? If'en not flip yer safety & try pullin yer trigger to see if'en the claws will flip up
Phoenix. ADF??
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Anti dryfire device. Phoenix model, have you pulled the trigger ? Flip the safety to fire pull trigger, if'en yer safety on safe its not goin to cock!
Half Bubble Off BD360

Post by newbie »

physically pull the latch forward if not there is something in there binding the latch. dirt rust etc.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Tee

Post by Tee »

newbie wrote:physically pull the latch forward if not there is something in there binding the latch. dirt rust etc.
The latch doesn't move either forward or backwards - frozen in place. The trigger flips back and forth completely free - seems to be disconnected from anything.

I think I'm going to have to take the bow off, the scope and then remove the stock from the rail (?) and try to uncover the latch mechanism. There must be some way to re-attach the triger to the latch mechanism.

If that doesn't work, then I'll have to try to find a local dealer that can work on the crossbow.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

With safety off pull trigger and with a pencil see if you can't flip latch forward,
strum

Post by strum »

Tee wrote:Had an accidental dryfire.

Now the cocking mechanism doesn't work, i.e., the bow string doesn't trip the string claws (?) when pulled back. The claws seem to be frozen in place. The trigger is free to move and has no effect on the claws. The safety lever works and blocks the trigger when set on safety. The claws are just frozen. I think they are frozen in the down position. When I try to move them with a small dowel laid across the top and gently pulled back like the bow string when cocking, the claws will not move.

Is this something that a non-expert can fix? Or do I need to find a trained excalibur crossbow mechanic?
I just cant see a dry fire causing the trigger mech to malfunction..why not try to take a few pics for us to look at or like already posted call Dan Miller..
are the claws in the down position or up ?...
you do know the safty has to be on fire in order to move the claws?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am curious what is a accidental dryfire ? Either its a full dryfire or a partcial ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

vixenmaster wrote:I am curious what is a accidental dryfire ? Either its a full dryfire or a partcial ?
Mine were all intentional. In front of lots of people, or during a serving test so that I got to post it and the results for all to see, call Danny Miller and fess up and let Boo know what I did and the results!!! :lol:

Post by newbie »

I don't see how a dry fire would cause this either. The trigger has just the sear block attached to it. The latch sits on a pin and unless this is broke something has it wedged in place. Can you see the little green recoil block on the front side of the bottom? maybe it came loose and wedged in there. run a string through and give a good tug on the latches
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Tee wrote:Had an accidental dryfire.

Sorry to hear about your dry fire, accidents happen don't sweat it. Hopefully your ADF caught the string and your limbs are OK.

Too me it sounds like something broke in your trigger mechanism unit. Since you are in the U.S.A. I would give Dan Miller a call at Horizontal Archery (740) 483-2312. He is a Excalibur Dealer and can help you with this situation.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Tee

Post by Tee »

flightattendant100 wrote:With safety off pull trigger and with a pencil see if you can't flip latch forward,
Tried that. As I wrote, the latch mechanism is totally frozen and the trigger has no effect.