Realtree AP vs. Mossy Oak

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowmaker

Re: Realtree AP vs. Mossy Oak

Post by bowmaker »

Ok I will take the risk. You do remember that deer can't see colors so if something is too green for later in the season, how can it really matter if the deer only sees shades of black & white & gray? I also have had deer with in just a very few yards while dressed completely in solid blaze orange hat coat and bibs. If you are confident that the camo you choose breaks up the shape then it really is ok. I remember reading an "expert" sugesting that a person should wear different paterns at the same time to aid with that break up factor. :)
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Neither really matters. The detailed camo patterns are used to lure hunters no different than detailed patterns on fishing lures are to entice fisherman not really fish.

I have a mixture of both, but I always choose mossy oak over realtree whenever I can. I buy all mine on clearance.

Not moving and using the wind is your best bet regardless what you choose to wear.

Andrew
Last edited by yooper_man on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Although I like the company that makes it, the normal Mossy Oak camo has too much black in it for my liking. If I were hiding from humans, Realtree AP would be my camo of choice. When it comes to deer hunting, I have both and either will suffice.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Realtree if I have a choice.
Although, I normally end up buying gear half way through the season when its on sale and most stuff is sold out, so I take what I can get.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

I wear both, realtree fall, mossy in the spring.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Here's an interesting look at camo patterns:

http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html

For the record, my deer hunting cold weather outer layer is Rivers West in Mossy Oak Treestand. The grey in that pattern really blends in with the trees my stands are in.