Realtree AP vs. Mossy Oak

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fur&Feathers

Realtree AP vs. Mossy Oak

Post by Fur&Feathers »

I hunt in Michigan. Just curious what people's thoughts are with regards to Realtree AP vs. Mossy Oak.

Like one over the other? One more appropriate for different times of the year? etc.

I own both and tend to go with the Realtree more often, but I mostly hunt from a blind so it doesn't make too much of a difference. This year, I'm considering doing some ground hunting and picking up a leafy 3D suit and I'm trying to decide between the two patterns.
vixenmaster

Re: Realtree AP vs. Mossy Oak

Post by vixenmaster »

I never payed no mind to the diff in camo from one model to the other. Everyone one of mine are Blk stocked but me E'cet 165 & its the redheaded step child in me home :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

I prefer the Realtree AP. I find that Mossy Oak and Realtree APG tend to be too Green for most of the hunting seasons in Western WI. Once the leaves turn in the fall, there are more browns than brighter greens. Same thing for spring turkey - things just have not greened up enough. It's hard to tell what I look like out in the field, so I took a pic of my teenager in one of our turkey blinds with his Realtree AP during our "Spring" Turkey Hunt - Tried to upload it, but got a message saying the "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." - In it, with the Realtree AP, he completely disappears. I have a feeling he'd standout a little more with all the green in jacket and none in the back ground.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I hunt in Michigan.. I prefer Realtree
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Fur&Feathers

Post by Fur&Feathers »

Thanks for the replies looking at the too, I think I tend to agree the Realtree AP will probably be better for my hunting situations.

RexKay - Noticed you're from Warren. I grew up there. Common & Schoenner area.
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Im not loyal to any brand camo. Too many different ones to choose from anyway so I never really put much thought to it. Except whats cheaper or onsale. Mostly use Army surplus woodland camo pants and whatever jacket. works for me. :wink:
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
_woods

Post by _woods »

seabee401 wrote:Im not loyal to any brand camo. Too many different ones to choose from anyway so I never really put much thought to it. Except whats cheaper or onsale. Mostly use Army surplus woodland camo pants and whatever jacket. works for me. :wink:
Completely agree.
Hide your silhouette, and you're in business. Once the temps start to drop, any open pattern plaid is my camo of choice.

Don't feel quite as stealthy though. :)

If forced to choose between Realtree, and Mossy Oak, I'd go with Realtree.
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
chicotrout

Post by chicotrout »

I, like many others, have shot plenty of deer in jeans and a t-shirt or flannel; you simply have to hide a little better and move a little less. That being said, I am a hunting fanatic and I have many different patterns and brands of camo. The purpose of camouflage is to break your silhouette up so you don't look like a two legged predator and to that extent camo is either effective or it isn't. The bottom line is, if it breaks up your outline, it will work well. So buy whichever one you think is the best or cheapest and have at it. :)
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Both for me
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Very close! 13 and Hayes!! Small world!!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Fur&Feathers

Post by Fur&Feathers »

Neat stuff.
Fur&Feathers

Post by Fur&Feathers »

I was looking at this 3D suit. I think I'm going to go with RealTree. A good friend of mine has had really good luck with one of these. The price is right and if it saves me from having to pack in a popup ground blind everytime it will be well worth it.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Leafy-3D ... _THUMBNAIL
MSC

Post by MSC »

Most of my stuff is Realtree. However, I have had deer come up to within 10 feet of me while wearing a blaze orange vest during firearms season. If you don't move when you can see their eye, and break up your outline, they cant see you.
2011 Exomax
Boo Custom String
Shadow Zone
Gold Tip Lazer II Pro
G5 Strikers 100gr
bowmaker

Post by bowmaker »

Ok I will take the risk. You do remember that deer can't see colors so if something is too green for later in the season, how can it really matter if the deer only sees shades of black & white & gray? I also have had deer with in just a very few yards while dressed completely in solid blaze orange hat coat and bibs. If you are confident that the camo you choose breaks up the shape then it really is ok. I remember reading an "expert" sugesting that a person should wear different paterns at the same time to aid with that break up factor. :)