Scent-Loc Opinions..........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chris Dillard

Scent-Loc Opinions..........

Post by Chris Dillard »

I don't have a major problem with scent control since I play the wind. I also hunt from a elevated stand, use scent elimination products such as shampoos, soaps, deodorant, sprays and always wear rubber boats. I have been curious if these Scent- Loc suits they sell really help that much? I believe in stacking the deck in our favor when it comes to hunting I would like to know everyone's thoughts and opinions on this topic. Thanks in advance :D
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
DirtyGun

Re: Scent-Loc Opinions..........

Post by DirtyGun »

Here's a little science...

That 'activated carbon' impregnated suit you purchase at your local hunting store is already saturated with scents.

Your dryer will have to reach 1472 degrees fahrenheit in order to reactivate true activated carbon.

Answer your question?
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Dont waste your money .Heck the indians kilt deer all the time with nothing. :D
Do what your doing is good ,wind, and scent free soaps, is all i use .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

DirtyGun wrote:Here's a little science...

That 'activated carbon' impregnated suit you purchase at your local hunting store is already saturated with scents.

Your dryer will have to reach 1472 degrees fahrenheit in order to reactivate true activated carbon.

Answer your question?
I have to agree.
I looked at some of this clothing at a retail store where they were hung on a rack out in the open.
I then wondered how many people had tried these suits on for fit.

Every minute of the day we shed skin cells whether we see them or not.
These types of hunter aids will do little if we throw caution to the wind.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I wear military camo and just wash it with scent free soap and then spray down with scent away spray before hunting.That's all you need.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

"Hot box" trials dog using dogs to find concealed humans with and without "scent-lok" clothing have emperically proven that these products are bunk.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think that if you can't stop your breath from reaching the air you are wasting your time and money.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

I think its a complete waste of money. Especially considering the fact that the clothing can only be worn and washed so many times before it loses it's "effectiveness". I don't know about you guys but I buy camo to conceal my appearance or hide my shape. I don't buy it to hide my odor. That's what Hunter's Specialties and Scent Away is for. Plus I like to do a little roll around in the dirt on the way to my stand to get as much of the local habitat smell on me. Seems to work.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I think a good comparison of how we humans must smell to a deer. Is like someone burning leaves in the fall. If the wind is right you can smell them from a great distance away! Myself included I wish I had multiple stands set up for each site to play the wind. Unfortunately I hunt on public land more than I do private. Hate to make it to easy for the low life thieves to do their shopping in the woods!! Save your money on the clothes buy another set up.
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Boo wrote:I think that if you can't stop your breath from reaching the air you are wasting your time and money.

http://www.amazon.com/RZ-Mask-Filters-3 ... on+hunting

Seems they've got something for that too.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Sounds like these suits are nothing more than a gimmick!! Think I'll just keep my money for more arrows and broadheads.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Our archery season in Texas is warm. ( ie...sweat like the poor folk at election warm) I have tried every gimmick know and if the deer pass down wind of me, I'm busted! Maybe not the snort and blow and stomp the ground busted, but the hair perk up, ear twitch veer off course, busted. Hunt the wind, its your buddy. On really still days.... you are on your own. :lol:
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Natural fires such as leafs and brush burning is a good smell for your clothes it happens in nature all the time burnt brush and leafs mask human scent and the carbon they talk about being in those suits is produced naturally from the fire the deer are not spooked by the smell of fire I hang my clothes in the smoke from the fire and it kills all human scent The good thing is its free Hillbilly Scent lok :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Tom

Post by Tom »

JPjunkie wrote:Natural fires such as leafs and brush burning is a good smell for your clothes it happens in nature all the time burnt brush and leafs mask human scent and the carbon they talk about being in those suits is produced naturally from the fire the deer are not spooked by the smell of fire I hang my clothes in the smoke from the fire and it kills all human scent The good thing is its free Hillbilly Scent lok :lol:
This reminds me of a funny time in my hunt camp a long time ago. We had a wood stove for heat (took turns looking after stove every night) and one night, one did not set the baffle correctly too much smoke came into the camp and made everything smell of smoke. One of us (not me :lol: ) used a new product (just come out back then) which you washed your clothes in to remove all scent, but now it smelled of a fire :lol: :lol: . Well the funny part is, we all saw more deer the next day then we did all week.

An ol timer once told me that he would set up a fire at the edge of a field to keep warm and wait for the deer to come and investigate what it was. HE always got his deer or moose.

Deer are inquisitive and will always come to check out a different smell as long as it does not be associated with danger.

As for the carbon suit. I got one way back when they first come out at a really good price to check them out. I did a test with my dog, a beagle. It might have taken him a little longer to find me, but he walked right up to where I was sitting in the bush.

These things or gimmicks might help, but nothing will eliminate scent 100% or even 90%. There will always be a scent coming from your body that animals will be able to detect. Is it worth the money they are asking for, that is up to you to decide, but I will never purchase one again for scent eliminating properties.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ParkerSxS

Post by ParkerSxS »

xcaliber wrote:Spend the money on the undergarments from Bass Pro, or Cabelas. I wash them in baking soda, and use the earth scent dryer sheets, they have helped on a few occasions because of the wicking properties. Outer wear i think is a waste of money.
The best thing anyone can do is not get heated up to the point where you break a sweat going to your hunting spot. I wear as little as possible, almost freezing by the time I get there, then i cool down a bit before putting on the heavier stuff.

Good luck, play the wind!
I totally agree.
Getting sweated up first thing in the morning can make for a
very cold miserable day in the woods.