Shorty bow penetration test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Shorty bow penetration test

Post by Masboy »

Shortys rail is three inches shorter than my vixen rail an around 80lb pull I guess? I put a varizone on it an sighted it in at 20 yards with 400gr 16 inch BEA with the crosshair an speed ring setting of 300 an the icons are dead on at 25-30-35 yds . wondering about penetration on deer an shot into my compressed rag bags at 30 yds along with my sons girlfriends pse set at 51lb with small diameter carbon express arrows that she shoots thru deer with. I had about a 1\2 - 1 inch more penetration on every shot more with shorty with the fatter arrows than the pse. About 6inch for the pse an 6-1/2-7 for shorty. next shorty will get some slicktricks an be ready for deer . may save my powerful vixen for the big boys around the rut time :mrgreen:
sportsman70003

Re: Shorty bow penetration test

Post by sportsman70003 »

Mas, If i knew you were doing all this shooting today i would have came down and helped you out.. Garth
Suppressor 400 TD
Dragon Claw Arrows
Ravntek Broadheads
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

FWIW:
I would not trust a rag target for penetration comparison.
Even if legal in my area of Ontario I would not use a bow of such low poundage for hunting whitetail deer.

In a hunting situation, the shaft diameter of an arrow means very little to penetration on game.

Where the broadhead goes the shaft will follow.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Your welcome to come down anytime an shoot Garth! I,m always ready to shoot !
It,s no speed demon but I think it shoots as fast as most recurves an I have killed many deer with a 52lb compound bow an no problem with penetration with proper arrow placement. when I use it I will keep the shots close an my broadheads sharp.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

When hunting in PA.

Broadhead - Shall have an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 of an inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Broadheads shall not exceed three inches in length measured from the tip of the broadhead to the point that fits against the arrow shaft.

Crossbow - Must have a draw weight not less than 125 pounds.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... ations_pdf
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I hunt maryland mostly an has a 75lb limit . don,t think I will be using it myself much but if I take my Daughter or another youngster out I would let them use it. My son killed his first deer with a 40lb browning compound his first hunt at 10 years old an a clean pass thru heart shot at 15yds an we watched it fall within 30yds. my favorite hunting moment ever :D thanks for the imfo I did not think about that for pa.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bought my son a 60# crossbow when he was younger and I believe that thing would kill a deer if you used a good "scary sharp" cut on contact broadhead and put it through the lungs. Not legal to deer hunt with here (75# minimum), but I've tested it like you did, and the penetration is unbelievable for such a light bow. Arrow flight is a bit of a rainbow trajectory so shot placement would be a challenge, but it seems to have good KE with a heavy (375gr 2215) arrow.
wabi
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

It,s not something I would really want to hunt with myself but for a youngster I think it,s a fine little short bow with a fine trigger an I shot my dull practice slicktricks thru my compressed broadhead block target that,s 12 inches thick an the tip was sticking out the back an in the quarry belt behind it at 30yds an that,s good enough for me . I will do my best to keep shots under 20yds for a youngster an the closer the better.