Bowhuning around apple trees

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Bowhuning around apple trees

Post by BryanOney »

At our farm I found an old apple tree in a fence row 200 yds from the woods where 3 fields intersect. Most years at least one field has corn in it. This year 2 of the fields have corn. It usually drops apples from Sept to mid Oct. In the past it only produced a few apples per year. 2 years ago I trimmed it up and cut the grape vines out of it. It only had a few apples last year, this year it is covered with apples. I have 2 good trees I could put my climber in within bow range. I have never bowhunted around apples before. Is it best to hunt there in the morning or evening or can both times be productive. Thanks
Normous

Re: Bowhuning around apple trees

Post by Normous »

Sounds like a great spot. Getting a trail camera set up is probably going to give you your best answer.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Hey.
I've hunted apple trees for years as we have numerous orchards, some old and overgrown.
Excellent place to hunt usually at night when they are coming out to feed.
When the apples ripen taste one to see if they are sweet. Deer go for them first, not the reddest or nicest looking. Even when all the apples are off the tree the deer will keep coming back as they don't realize all the apples are gone.

Good luck
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

enormous wrote:Sounds like a great spot. Getting a trail camera set up is probably going to give you your best answer.
X2 The cameras are such a great scouting tool, and they are fun to boot. I cant wait to get home and go thru the SD cards and see whats out there.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

They cant bite them until they get soft When I find an apple tree in the woods I smash all the apples on the ground with my foot so they soften up and then they can eat them :)
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I hunted under apple trees for a couple of years. The larger bucks would visit very late in the evening. It would be best to know where they were coming in from and set up on the trail.

Funny thing . . .I would shake the apples out of the tree in the afternoons. Without fail, a couple of fawns would come to the tree within 10 minutes after they heard the apples hit the ground . . .like I was ringing the dinner bell.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

you can,t go wrong with hunting around the tree, but what was posted about the camera is a good way to tell how there getting to the tree!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

mr meat wrote:you can,t go wrong with hunting around the tree, but what was posted about the camera is a good way to tell how there getting to the tree!
X2, excellent spot, natural food supply.
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like you need to put a stand up and hang out there with your bow when the season starts. Like Norm says, putting a camera up would be a great idea too. Good luck! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads