Are you ok with multi crosshairs or dots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Are you ok with multi crosshairs or dots

Post by Masboy »

My brain can,t handle more than one crosshair , dot, HHA that I have to think about when hunting an target shooting. with the HHA i forget to reset it for the range I,m shooting a lot an with multi dot scopes I,m using the wrong dot a lot for the range I,m shooting . have lost an broke many arrows by doing this an missed many deer over the years . for many years now I only shoot one pin on my vertical bows an now have to do the same with my crossbows. I don,t dryfire a lot but just can,t get used to different aiming points but do good with the old kentucky windage an elevation. don,t know if it,s from my Lyme d or just a brain malfunction :shock:
vixenmaster

Re: Are you ok with multi crosshairs or dots

Post by vixenmaster »

I tend to like it simple n my shots close.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
chicotrout

Post by chicotrout »

I'm ok with both. I think it has to do with shooting archery that's gotten me used to the multiple crosshairs.
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

The last 5 or 6 years that I used a vertical bow, I used a pendulum (sp?) sight and I really liked it. Up to 25 yds just aim and shoot. It was somewhat noisy, but the deer didn't seem to mind. I don't see them advertised anymore. If someone offered one for a crossbow, I'd have to try it. I shot a fairly slow vertical bow with a heavy arrow. Faster bows would still be accurate to 30 or 35 yards.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

What i would like to see from an Optics (scope maker) would be 20 yd crosshair then a dot fer 30 yds & a chevron fer 40 yds. Thats cluttered enuff but stiff gives a good shot coverage. Heck if'en thar were a good 3 Dot Red/Gn dot 42mm or 45mm. That would be another good choice wid a 3moa dot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've never been able to reliably remember which yardage mark to use when I have a view of deer hair in the scope. I've shot over their backs, and under their bellies more than once. :oops:
A few years ago I went to a Leupold 2-7x shotgun scope on my Phoenix and sighted in at 25 yards. A "center of the kill zone" hold works on any deer within 30 yards, and I haven't missed a shot since switching to that system. All I have to do is wait for the deer to come within 30 yards and then I can concentrate on the actual shot angle and my hold & trigger squeeze.
I think the closest shot was around 7 yards, and the longest around 21 yards, with several somewhere in between, and all have ended with short blood trails to a dead deer.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I like multiple aiming points (AP) for the simple reason that I use multiple bows, all with variable scopes. They are all set to be on at 20,30 & 40 yards. That way, all I have to do is range the target and choose the appropriate AP or point between APs if appropriate. Trying to remember the appropriate 'Kentucky windage' for three bows is more than my 73 yr old mind is capable of doing.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I think it's important to be consistant.
It's the KISS theory expanded.

I have different scopes on the Vixen and the Max and it's a struggle to keep the yardages straight in my head.

Life would be simplier if I had the exact set-up on both.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

For hunting I'd be happy with a single x-hair set at 25 yrds. But for 3D I get a bit fussier & maybe even a little competitive :oops: so for that I love the HHA - especially for the longer distances.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
BryanOney

Post by BryanOney »

I am a single cross hair Kentucky windage type of myself.