Worried about my Matrix Limbs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wisc Mac

Worried about my Matrix Limbs

Post by Wisc Mac »

Was out shooting tonight and had a strange experience. I was shooting a Diablo with a 125gr field point. It was my 5th shot of the evening, when several small thinks hit me in the face. No strange sounds and the Diablo when downrange, pretty much on target (might have pulled 1 or 2 to the right).

Noticed pieces of my Cat Whiskers on my shooting bench and then saw that the Left Cat Whisker had shifted from it's far Left location against the loop servings to a spot in contact with the REDS and center servings. The Cat Whiskers were served on by my local Dealer, and they did shift out against the servings on the first shot that I had them on. I've taken over 150 shots since then with no problem to until today. Checked the limbs and found 2 divots/gouges just to the right of the mounts. A little further over, I found a 1/2" splinter. It's right on the edge of the limb. Not a 100% sure they happened on this shot, but I pretty observant and just recently rapped my stirrup and know I would have a least noticed the divots then.

I did have a dry fire about 3 weeks ago, but check the entire bow over at that point both by hand and with a cotton ball. No issues found and definitely no divots. Since then nothing but good shooting until today.

Here are some pictures -
Full Image 2.JPG
Full Image 2.JPG (178.91 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Divets.JPG
Divets.JPG (216.52 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Splinter Pixs 2.jpg
Splinter Pixs 2.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Any ideas - Recommendations - Is this something I need to worry about? With only 3 weeks until opener, I'm a little worried about the timing.
Last edited by Wisc Mac on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
Normous

Re: Worried about my Matrix Limbs

Post by Normous »

The way I see it the divots are normal and the tiny splinter can be cut and sanded without issue. I would reserve the whisker back to its original position because it may unbalance the string during movement.

edit: You probably got hit with a few rubber pieces from the left whisker since it is subjected to extreme stress and movement if located near the center serving, the right whisker served near the end does not nearly get subjected to the same force.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

I'm sure it was the rubber pie specs that hit me. I'm more baffled by why the left whiskers moved to the center serving. When I shot it the first time after they were served on, they actually shifted out further on the first shot. And why only the left one.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
Dash

Post by Dash »

I agree with enormous about that small splinter. Just keep an eye on it.
The whiskers moving could be the whisker serving broken or a sub standard serving job to start with. Make sure the whisker serving is done as tight as practicable without breaking the serving material (tension depends on what serving material your using). If done right it will never slip on you.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Usually 3 things happen on a dry-fire. Limb tips get damaged, you get a limb splinter and the REDS bumpers get cut.
Look push down on the edge of the bumpers and look for a cut/slit at the center. If there is any damage at all in the center then the rubbers are likely cut through. Continued shooting will damage your string.
Take your string off and look real hard for cracks at the limb tip. Particularly around the string loop groove.
Cat whiskers are difficult to keep in place on an endless loop string because the string is much smaller where the whiskers go and the serving under the whiskers is smooth by comparison to a Flemish string. Have your shop double the serving area on the whiskers. You might also benefit from a dot or two of instant glue under the whiskers.
Good luck and ask for an antidryfire unit for Xmas! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Wisc Mac wrote:Was out shooting tonight and had a strange experience. I was shooting a Diablo with a 125gr field point. It was my 5th shot of the evening, when several small thinks hit me in the face. No strange sounds and the Diablo when downrange, pretty much on target (might have pulled 1 or 2 to the right).

Noticed pieces of my Cat Whiskers on my shooting bench and then saw that the Left Cat Whisker had shifted from it's far Left location against the loop servings to a spot in contact with the REDS and center servings. The Cat Whiskers were served on by my local Dealer, and they did shift out against the servings on the first shot that I had them on. I've taken over 150 shots since then with no problem to until today. Checked the limbs and found 2 divots/gouges just to the right of the mounts. A little further over, I found a 1/2" splinter. It's right on the edge of the limb. Not a 100% sure they happened on this shot, but I pretty observant and just recently rapped my stirrup and know I would have a least noticed the divots then.

I did have a dry fire about 3 weeks ago, but check the entire bow over at that point both by hand and with a cotton ball. No issues found and definitely no divots. Since then nothing but good shooting until today.

Here are some pictures -
Full Image 2.JPG
Divets.JPG
Splinter Pixs 2.jpg
Any ideas - Recommendations - Is this something I need to worry about? With only 3 weeks until opener, I'm a little worried about the timing.
Most likely what was quoted to you pieces of cat whisker hitting you. Had cat whiskers do that to me as well before myself. Just keep an eye on your limbs where places you shown are.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

If your still worried you can call the Excal rep
Danny Miller and discuss with him.740 483 2312
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Yep, Miller is your go-to-guy. Send the assembled riser to him, it will be back fixed in no time.
"Eze 18:21"
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was not a full dry fire that I had several weeks ago, but a "partial" (not completely sure what to call it) A nock failed, and the string went under the arrow. The arrow did go down range but flew off target. ( My Matrix 380 has the Guardian on it). I did a though inspection after that incident, but found no splinters or other damage. The REDS had a nice mark on them, but were not cut or damaged. I taken well over a 150 shots since the "partial" dry fire.

My big concern is why the whisker shifted toward the center when after the initial install, they both moved out about 2 inches to servings on the very first shot. I'm worried that might indicate a non uniform limb reaction.

I'm also more worried about the gouges. They are quite deep - about 1/2 mm

While just checking my limbs over again in full daylight, I just noticed hundreds small gouges (almost look like splinters that have popped off). Not nearly as large or deep as 2 on the edge of the limb, but this is the first I've time I've seen them. All of these (2 deep gouges, the splinter, and the hundreds of small ”defects”) are occurring on the right limb. No problems found on the left limb (which is the one that the whisker shifted on).
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
Boo

Post by Boo »

Make sure your arrow is fully seated before firing. Even a mm of air gap will cause a partial dry-fire and nock failure.
The whisker is challenged being on an endless loop string it has nothing to do with uneven tiller. You said yourself that the moved when first shot which indicates that they weren't on tight enough.
If those "gouges" have any colour (you don't see fibers) to them don't worry, all limbs have them to some degree. The fiber in the limbs are continuous so any limb damage surfaces as splinters and they seem to have no effect on performance or accuracy. I've had a pretty huge one from someone dry-firing my bow and there was no indication from the POI that there was a problem.
I guess the bottom line is do you want to send your limbs and riser out and get them back in a week + or do you want to go hunting and take care of it later. I think that if you move the whiskers back and have no change of POI then hunt. If you have a change then call and get the limb and riser to Danny Miller or Woody's now!
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

If it where me, I would just call Danny and send to him for a once over. Nothing beats piece of mind about your hunting equipment and as fast as people say he is.... You will have no problem having back in time for your season opener.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Boonechaser wrote:If it where me, I would just call Danny and send to him for a once over. Nothing beats piece of mind about your hunting equipment and as fast as people say he is.... You will have no problem having back in time for your season opener.
An even better idea!
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Boonechaser wrote:If it where me, I would just call Danny and send to him for a once over. Nothing beats piece of mind about your hunting equipment and as fast as people say he is.... You will have no problem having back in time for your season opener.
I have to agree with this one as well.
I'm lucky to have a good dealer that I have confidence in. He would just swap out my limbs and then deal with Excalibur on his time.

The reason the whiskers on the left moved is because of two things.
One is the physics involved during the shot process.
Two is the fact the whiskers were served incorrectly.

I would not put the whiskers on the end serving. The string should be removed from the bow, then untwisted and the whiskers placed in the middle of the string and butted up against the end serving. Then back served into place. Then when the string is once again twisted to proper brace height, the whiskers will be locked in place against the end serving and will not be able to move.

Hope this helps.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Danny Miller is in Ohio so it would be a fast turn around for you to meet the Sept-14 opener!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Fwiw, I have two of Don's strings, both have whiskers and neither of them has moved in two yrs of use.

For the problems yours have caused you, I'd '86' them in a heart beat.

If or when you contact Danny, ask for his price[s] on his strings, dirt cheap comparatively speaking.......

Good luck!
"Eze 18:21"