Full Inclusion In Connecticut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Full Inclusion In Connecticut

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Full inclusion in Connecticut starting this season. As a plus they got rid of the ridiculous restrictions they had on crossbows.

Below are the new rules:

(b) Any crossbow and bolt combination to be used for hunting shall meet the following specifications: (1) The draw weight of the crossbow shall be not less than 125 pounds; (2) The crossbow shall have a permanent fixed rifle type stock, and a functional and/or fully operational mechanical safety device; (3) The bolt (arrow) length shall be not less than eighteen inches, excluding the broadhead; and (4) The broad head shall have two or more blades with a width not less than seven-eighths of an inch at the widest point. In addition, any crossbow in a drawn and cocked position with a bolt loaded in the crossbow shall be considered a loaded weapon.
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ranger

Re: Full Inclusion In Connecticut

Post by ranger »

Sounds reasonable, I could live with that.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

when did you hear this i just got my lic tues at a town office they did not know anything about this .?
Horizontal Hunter

bob watkins wrote:when did you hear this i just got my lic tues at a town office they did not know anything about this .?
It has been in process all summer. There is an Encon officer that posts on the forum listed below. That is where I heard it first. Lots of good people and info there:
http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/index.php

The new regulations are posted here:
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/public_ ... 272013.pdf

Bob
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Good news! Thanks, HH.......
"Eze 18:21"
BH206L3

Post by BH206L3 »

I live in East Haddam, Its on the DEEP web page. I am a gun hunter, but with the new laws about ammo and long guns and shotguns, I am right now not inclined to comply with this clear violation of the Constitution. And since I have property to hunt on, the Idea of being able to hunt deer form Sept to Jan is of great interest to me. My problem is which Crossbow to buy. I shot recurve and long bows in the pass. I just don't have the time to shoot that much to be effective. I am all ears on suggestions. Plan on the 2014 season, as time is short to be come skillful enough. And besides I have laid in enough ammo to keep me going for a while.
Horizontal Hunter

BH206L3 wrote:I live in East Haddam, Its on the DEEP web page. I am a gun hunter, but with the new laws about ammo and long guns and shotguns, I am right now not inclined to comply with this clear violation of the Constitution. And since I have property to hunt on, the Idea of being able to hunt deer form Sept to Jan is of great interest to me. My problem is which Crossbow to buy. I shot recurve and long bows in the pass. I just don't have the time to shoot that much to be effective. I am all ears on suggestions. Plan on the 2014 season, as time is short to be come skillful enough. And besides I have laid in enough ammo to keep me going for a while.
You have enough time to become proficient enough to kill deer at reasonable ranges. I prefer my recurve as it is simple, built like a tank, shoots better than I can, and I do not need a bow press to change the string. They are wider and typically louder than the compound xbows though.

I would recommend that you go up to Cabelas and shoot the xbows they have in stock to see what fits you well and go from there. If you decide on an Excal call Dan Miller at Horizontal Archery and get it from him. If you decide on something else call David at Wyvern Creations. Both have competitive pricing and are a wealth of knowledge.

Bob
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
BH206L3 wrote:I live in East Haddam, Its on the DEEP web page. I am a gun hunter, but with the new laws about ammo and long guns and shotguns, I am right now not inclined to comply with this clear violation of the Constitution. And since I have property to hunt on, the Idea of being able to hunt deer form Sept to Jan is of great interest to me. My problem is which Crossbow to buy. I shot recurve and long bows in the pass. I just don't have the time to shoot that much to be effective. I am all ears on suggestions. Plan on the 2014 season, as time is short to be come skillful enough. And besides I have laid in enough ammo to keep me going for a while.
You have enough time to become proficient enough to kill deer at reasonable ranges. I prefer my recurve as it is simple, built like a tank, shoots better than I can, and I do not need a bow press to change the string. They are wider and typically louder than the compound xbows though.

I would recommend that you go up to Cabelas and shoot the xbows they have in stock to see what fits you well and go from there. If you decide on an Excal call Dan Miller at Horizontal Archery and get it from him. If you decide on something else call David at Wyvern Creations. Both have competitive pricing and are a wealth of knowledge.

Bob

Good advice..

Good for CT... Another state sees the light..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BH206L3

Post by BH206L3 »

Thanks guys, I have no plans to go compound, I didn't go that route to begin with why should I do so now. My crossbow of choice is going to be an Excalibur, since its made with hunting in mind. Just so many choices. As for Cabelas, I avoid them like I avoid a PETA convention.
BH206L3

Post by BH206L3 »

Well there is a dealer with in 15 min drive of me, I when over to have a look and a chat, got to shoot an Ibex. First shot dead center @ 20 yards and four more followed the first shot. I decided to buy one. He has some coming in on Tuesday. The Season opens on the 10th, and if my shooting today is any indication, all I am going to have to do is zero it in @ 20 check at 30,40 and 50 the scope is set up for that, and just shoot a few dozen shots a day for a week and I should be ok. Not a mystery. What I was impressed the most was the trigger, no creep, and a 3 lb let off. I am so looking forward to some fresh venison.
Horizontal Hunter

BH206L3 wrote:Well there is a dealer with in 15 min drive of me, I when over to have a look and a chat, got to shoot an Ibex. First shot dead center @ 20 yards and four more followed the first shot. I decided to buy one. He has some coming in on Tuesday. The Season opens on the 10th, and if my shooting today is any indication, all I am going to have to do is zero it in @ 20 check at 30,40 and 50 the scope is set up for that, and just shoot a few dozen shots a day for a week and I should be ok. Not a mystery. What I was impressed the most was the trigger, no creep, and a 3 lb let off. I am so looking forward to some fresh venison.

Good choice; you can't go wrong with an Excalibur. I thought the season oened on the 16th.

Bob
BH206L3

Post by BH206L3 »

My error, you are right, I get an extra hunting time because my land is in zone 12 and we get January! So you think the Ibex is the way to go or should I just go for something more powerful in the Excalibur line. 175 Lbs vs 200+? I appears that It will not take much for me to be reasonably accurate with one. Rather simple.
cthunt

Post by cthunt »

BH206L3 i live in connecticut and do most if not all dealings with centersports in Columbia they have a indoor range and carrys a nice selection of crossbows yes he does stock excaliburs .
Tell Billy andy sent you.
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazer
nap nightmares 100grn.
Horizontal Hunter

BH206L3 wrote:My error, you are right, I get an extra hunting time because my land is in zone 12 and we get January! So you think the Ibex is the way to go or should I just go for something more powerful in the Excalibur line. 175 Lbs vs 200+? I appears that It will not take much for me to be reasonably accurate with one. Rather simple.
Plenty of power with the Ibex. I shoot an Exocet and they take moose in the great white north with vixens. The greater the poundage the harder they are on center servings.

The most important thing I had to understand is that xbow arrows require a high FOC to shoot well. The factory arrows (Firebolts) have an aluminum insert and the broadheads that Excalibur recommends are the 150g bolt cutters to get that high FOC. The problem is that there is a very limited selection of broadheads at that weight.

What I do is use a "brass" insert in my arrows to increase the FOC so I can use standard weight heads. Many members do the same has well.

Do some reading on FOC on here. Lots of great information.

Bob
jeepfreak

Post by jeepfreak »

I wish the law makers of Wisconsin would of done that !!! WBH got there way for now! :evil:
Brown Vixen