heating deer scents

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bullzeye

heating deer scents

Post by Bullzeye »

Ive never had much luck with scents or urines etc and have a two part question.

1. What is your favorite commercial scent, ie:doe in heat etc.??

2. Have you ever used a scent heater ??

Now I have seen a couple companies like Code Blue who makes scent warmers that run on batteries but all have poor reviews. I seen an old post that advertised a thermos filled with hot water that kept a beaker full of scent hot all day using no batteries which I figured is pretty smart, here is the link to the website.

http://thermatomizer.webs.com

Anyone ever see this warmer.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
onebigskittle

Re: heating deer scents

Post by onebigskittle »

I like the buck bomb and buck bomb igniter doe in estrus urine with a drag rag.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Used buck bomb once in Michigan. The doe took one wiff of the scent & ran away from it. I was down wind of her so I know it was the buck bomb.

Since that happened I go scernt free now & have much better results in deer sightings.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I have had better luck with food based scents, with apple topping the list. have not seen this thermatomizer before and think I will be trying it! especially in late season when it is below freezing when scents poured out just freeze and become weak at best. heated things smell much much stronger
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Deaf jeff wrote:have not seen this thermatomizer before and think I will be trying it! especially in late season when it is below freezing when scents poured out just freeze and become weak at best. heated things smell much much stronger
Ordering online is not possible right now according to the website, but the only info I could online went back to 2009, so I have no idea if he is still open for business, so I sent an email to find out.

I think if I can find some kind of beaker with a cap I could make one myself. Its an interesting concept.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

I use Tink's #69..Never have used the heated stuff..& never have heard of it before....I must be getting old..
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Bullzeye wrote:
Deaf jeff wrote:have not seen this thermatomizer before and think I will be trying it! especially in late season when it is below freezing when scents poured out just freeze and become weak at best. heated things smell much much stronger
Ordering online is not possible right now according to the website, but the only info I could online went back to 2009, so I have no idea if he is still open for business, so I sent an email to find out.

I think if I can find some kind of beaker with a cap I could make one myself. Its an interesting concept.
I also sent an email. if its no longer available and you end up making one pls make 2 and let me know :D :!: :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
trashedback

Post by trashedback »

Hi Yall:
Been useing a Buck Hustler Scent vaporizer for about the last 8 years or so and they work like a champ!!!! They run off a small propane bottle and last all day long. I've had deer try to stick their nose on the hot cup and jump back away. They work really good at rut putting doe in heat in one. I have three of the units now and set them up all around me and hunt 30 foot up.....haven't been busted in eons. Just have to make sure if you want a doe for the freezer not to use anything that will attract the bucks cause the does don't want to be messed with and will shy away from it. On cold days you can set it to burn hotter and on warm days cooler...just don't want to make it boil. Anyway if you ever see one of these cheap grab it and I'll guarentee you'll like it. Good luck this season....won't be long now till I'm sitting with the squirrels and watching the acorns fall.....:)
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Well, I tried googling that product also, and all I came up with was that is was made by Mr.Heater Corp, but when I go to their website I cannot find this vaporizer. :?
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
wabi

Post by wabi »

Unscented "tealight" candle, couple tin cans, and a bottle of deer pee.
Take one tin can and poke a few holes in it (around the sides on the top and bottom for ventilation so the candle will burn) with a can opener or drill to hold the candle. Set the other tin can on top to hold the deer pee. (you can water-down the pee to make it last longer)
Put the candle in the holder & light it, fill the top can with the pee and set it on top. Won't take long until you are putting out a stream of scent into the wind.
wabi
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

We already have thermacells for insect repellant, so why not keep some used pads and soak them in your favourite scent and use in the thermacell.
Just a thought.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
trashedback

Post by trashedback »

Bullzeye wrote:Well, I tried googling that product also, and all I came up with was that is was made by Mr.Heater Corp, but when I go to their website I cannot find this vaporizer. :?
I've gotten the 3 sets off Ebay. And yes you're supposed to dilute the urines with distilled water and a quart of urine last forever. This unit is nice because on windy days the bottom cup is covering the flame so the wind can't blow it out. After sitting up in the treestand for an hour or so if the wind hits ya just right you get a whiff of exactly what the deer are smelling.....except that they can probably smell it 2 miles away!!!!....:) I've even put vanilla extract and other flavored scents in it....they are prettty slick. :roll: :roll:
trashedback

Post by trashedback »

Ont_Excal wrote:We already have thermacells for insect repellant, so why not keep some used pads and soak them in your favourite scent and use in the thermacell.
Just a thought.
They have a therma scent out that I have also but have never used it. Still new in the pack and looks exactly like the thermacell. I bought generic butane refills with an adapter off ebay too that works with my thermacell and thermascent for peanuts compared to the real mccoy. The pads I make out of heavy padding material and just soak them with liquid cutters and let it dry. Don't use those very often cause I have a scent blocker bug suit I wear if the sceeters are too bad. :cry:
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have thought about the thermacell also since I have one, and if you do not want to buy another one they sell an adapter to attach to the one you use for bugs but I heard once you use it it stinks up the unit pretty good so its best to have one dedicated just for warming scents.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
tman74

Post by tman74 »

I've had success on a number of occasions squeezing an apple drinking box on a stick in the ground or small skinny tree.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========