Broadhead Practice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GranvilleRose

Broadhead Practice

Post by GranvilleRose »

Season opens up on October 1st here so the itch is on just like everywhere else. I've been shooting different arrow and different broadhead combinations for the past couple weeks and have been having a great time trying to get what I'm looking for. I'm a cut on contact type of guy and really like the traditional style glue on 2 blade style. Been shooting old bear razor heads, zwickeys and grizzleys and they're flying pretty good. I bought some new G5 monotecs a couple weeks back and they fly great at 20 or so yards but plane a bit around 30 and back. I've noticed with the slight helical fletch on the firebolts the 3 and 4 blade heads I have seem to stabilize a little better then the straight fletch fmj's and bloodline arrows I bought.
Just wondering how accurate those of you that shoot coc broadheads are? Can you shoot as well as field points or do you except a 2 to 3 inch variance? At 20 yards I can put just about any arrow BH combination right in there, but not many past 20yards.
I'm not ready to go to the mechanicals yet, but I'm sure I'll get some in my collection before long.
Masboy

Re: Broadhead Practice

Post by Masboy »

Just get some great arrows like black eagle executioners with a spine mark for the cock vane an lots of helix with blazers an brass inserts in the front an shoot the broadhead of your choosing an deadly accurate in all our bows with broadheads.having the right arrow is everything for fixed blade broadhead accuracy.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

GranvilleRose wrote:Season opens up on October 1st here so the itch is on just like everywhere else. I've been shooting different arrow and different broadhead combinations for the past couple weeks and have been having a great time trying to get what I'm looking for. I'm a cut on contact type of guy and really like the traditional style glue on 2 blade style. Been shooting old bear razor heads, zwickeys and grizzleys and they're flying pretty good. I bought some new G5 monotecs a couple weeks back and they fly great at 20 or so yards but plane a bit around 30 and back. I've noticed with the slight helical fletch on the firebolts the 3 and 4 blade heads I have seem to stabilize a little better then the straight fletch fmj's and bloodline arrows I bought.
Just wondering how accurate those of you that shoot coc broadheads are? Can you shoot as well as field points or do you except a 2 to 3 inch variance? At 20 yards I can put just about any arrow BH combination right in there, but not many past 20yards.
I'm not ready to go to the mechanicals yet, but I'm sure I'll get some in my collection before long.

Don't know why the g5's are doing what they are, give a two blade magnus stinger a go or the ss snuffer, magnus is the only bh co.I know of with a life time warranty, just like excal. burris, and leupold. I also use alum arrows.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I shoot the Rage crossbow head 100gr and they are very accurate shooting the same as a field point out of my 355!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
rej

Post by rej »

My favorite is the 175 gr. SlickTrick magnum on Firebolts fletched with 2" Blazers using the AZ EZ fletch Bolt. Deadly accurate to 50 yd. I also use a COC BH, the 125 gr. NAP Hellrazor crossbow on same arrow and POI is fine for vertical and hits only 2" lower than SlickTrick at 50 yd. I cut a few Firebolts to 18" and used same setup and got pretty much the same result. The xbow is a Vortex with claws polished and Excalibur FFF string. Tried the S5's and removed them and the Dbars. I work with a reference mark on the riser and all is good and I got rid of some front weight.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use Wac'Em Exit broadheads (4 blade replacable blade) for most of my hunting, but G-5 Montecs are my "backup" broadhead as the Wac'Em blades can be hard to find.
Both are dead-on at 25 yards (my sight in range) and I have never shot one past 30 yards as that is my personal range limit on deer.
I have used several different arrow/vane combinations with both these heads and have had no trouble getting them to group with field points at 25 yards.
This season I'll be using 2216 aluminums fletched with 2" Blazers using a set of "Bolt" arms on my Arizona E-Z fletch tool and the Montecs (and Wac'Em) heads are still grouping with field points at 25 yards.
wabi
Hooks1

Post by Hooks1 »

I think you can get most of todays broadheads to fly in you have good arrows. The Black Eagle arrows mentioned above solved all of my problems with fixed broad heads. I have Slick Trick Magnums 1 1/8", Grim Reaper Hades 1 3/16", Hellrazors 1 1/8", Striker Magnum 1 1/2"( this is the one I will hunt with this year) with a Black Eagle Executioner 20" arrow giving me 1" groups at 40 yards. If you really like a more traditional head, look at the 3 blade Terminator or 2 blade Penetrater by Valley Point Archery (VPA). I have a setup for hogs using a 150 gr 3 blade Terminator, 20" Black Eagle Executioners, made by South Shore Archery,that are spine indexed and matched, with a total arrow weight of 518 gr, FOC of 23%, 318 fps, giving me 1" groups at 40 yards out of my Matrix 380. Good luck in your search.
Equinox, Matrix 380
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Masboy hit the nail on the head !!!
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
GranvilleRose

Post by GranvilleRose »

I'll have to try these black eagle arrows out. Are they sold at Cabelas or are they a special order? Cabelas is in my back yard. Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Hearing about others equipment and successes is part of the fun for me!

On a side note, one thing I forgot to mention earlier was that my slower carved tip vixen seemed to shoot much better than my phoenix or at least more consistently with the broadheads.

When you measure the FOC is that with the fully setup arrow or without the Broadhead? Seems I read something here a week or so ago where there was some confusion on my part.

And the brass insert? Where do you get these? I have some different weight glue on conversion inserts that are different weights. I actually have a few heads that are weighing around 196 grains I'm gonna try out today.
GranvilleRose

Post by GranvilleRose »

At the end of the day like Wabi put it, I really don't have any intentions of letting one go past 30 yards which is my max in the woods. In fact, most of my setups are like 15 yards. I guess it's more of a confidence thing for me then anything else. With the field points both my bows shoot very well for me. Bulls eye after bulls eye, but with the broaheads at 30 and farther they start to plane. But at 30 and even 35 I'm still in a 6 inch target. I'm just trying to get em in that 1 inch target.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I am shooting spitfire maxx this year. I shot the practice head after sighting in with target tips and it shoots the same as the target tips so I am just waiting for October 1st
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife