Vari-Zone Issue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Vari-Zone Issue

Post by nchunterkw »

Was out tonight (didn't see anything) and as light faded I looked through my Varizone scope to see if I could still see well enough to shoot. It looked a little foggy. I though maybe I breathed on it or whatever as it was cooling off a little bit. So I wiped the lenses with my cotton glove and the back lens rattles back and forth. I've been noticing what seems like small changes in POI - even when the bow just sits for several days. I'll make an adjustment and all is well. I'll call Danny in the morning - but any thoughts as to if that could affect POI? My assumption is that it can - but I know there are many on here who know WAYYYY more about scopes than I do. Appeciate any comments/advice.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Chris Dillard

Re: Vari-Zone Issue

Post by Chris Dillard »

Sounds like your seals may have failed on your scope.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
Matrix380NC

Post by Matrix380NC »

Definitely give Danny Miller a call and he'll fix ya up. I'd ask him if you could upgrade to a lumizone since it will definitely make a difference with the lighted reticle. I ordered one with my exomax and it really makes a difference hunting in western nc. Good Luck this season...............
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'm thinking that your scope is not a new one and the constant recoil can make good scopes go bad. If it is fogging then it leaks because the seals have aged and failed. Sticky internal parts (possibly from moisture) or weak (worn) parts like the erector tube which carry the crosshairs are possible failure causes. Futher shooting will only make you waste time.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

enormous wrote:I'm thinking that your scope is not a new one and the constant recoil can make good scopes go bad. If it is fogging then it leaks because the seals have aged and failed. Sticky internal parts (possibly from moisture) or weak (worn) parts like the erector tube which carry the crosshairs are possible failure causes. Futher shooting will only make you waste time.
It was new 2 years ago but I probably have close to 1000 shots on it as I was doing some string evals for both Boo and Danny. I'll call Danny tomorrow and no doubt get it taken care of. Thinking about a Hawke XB1 though.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

nchunterkw wrote:
enormous wrote:I'm thinking that your scope is not a new one and the constant recoil can make good scopes go bad. If it is fogging then it leaks because the seals have aged and failed. Sticky internal parts (possibly from moisture) or weak (worn) parts like the erector tube which carry the crosshairs are possible failure causes. Futher shooting will only make you waste time.
It was new 2 years ago but I probably have close to 1000 shots on it as I was doing some string evals for both Boo and Danny. I'll call Danny tomorrow and no doubt get it taken care of. Thinking about a Hawke XB1 though.
It was probably the test strings causing the extra recoil :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Good idea!!

I'm blaming Don. :mrgreen:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you talk to Danny just ask him about Leupold.

I had the same problem with a Varizone and Danny allowed me to trade it in on a Leupold. After 3 scope failures in as many years (they were not all Excalibur) the switch to Leupold ended my scope problems!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote:If you talk to Danny just ask him about Leupold.

I had the same problem with a Varizone and Danny allowed me to trade it in on a Leupold. After 3 scope failures in as many years (they were not all Excalibur) the switch to Leupold ended my scope problems!
X2
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

It's time for a Leupold scope!

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Big John

Post by Big John »

I've had many Varizones. A few have had to go back. I believe it was from the reticles floating all over. :shock:
A few of my Excal's carry Leopold Crossbones.
And they are Beautiful Scopes! As well, the Chevrons line up perfectly on the Matrix 355 on all of them out to 60 yds. Perfectly!!!!
Those Leopolds (crossbones) love Bows 330 fps or better!!!
My shotguns carry Leopolds as well!
Now, I'm wanting the Rangefinder from them!
Soon I hope! :wink:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wabi wrote:If you talk to Danny just ask him about Leupold.

If you go to Danny's shop,and look at his bows that he hunts with, they wear Leupold glass..... Nuff said
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm sending this one back to Danny and I bought an XB1 off of the trading post. I have a Leupold on my .300 Win Mag and love it. Just couldn't spend the cash right now.

I did look up some threads on the Crossbones and it did not get high marks but the thread was not specific. Anyone know why?
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I had the lumizone and sent it back because some minor issues but the Tactzone is a better scope in my opionion because the reticles only light up and not the whole scope at dark thirty.

You'll probably like the XB1 Hawke makes some good scopes, but like the others have said the Leupolds are hard to beat.

Good luck and happy hunting
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

nchunterkw wrote: I did look up some threads on the Crossbones and it did not get high marks but the thread was not specific. Anyone know why?
I skimmed over a forum awhile back, but the person was pro Hawke and Anti-Leupold.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's