First Impressions of Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raptorman

First Impressions of Matrix 380

Post by Raptorman »

As a long time crossbow owner / hunter, I just wanted to leave my first impression of the Matrix 380. ---- First of all, it was much heavier than expected, I seriously doubt 5.9 lbs. Feels more like around 8 lbs. to me, (in stock form)---though I have not weighed it to see, so I could be wrong. -----Balance is decent, but I've owned some that were better. ------Fit and finish is good, though for some reason it seems a bit 'plastic' --I was expecting an aluminum / alloy rail. --Nice camo finish-----'Tact Zone' scope was defective out of the box, will only adjust horizontally to the right. (I hear the warranty dept, is excellent, and do not expect a problem having it replaced, disappointing, none the less.)---Amount of effort to cock is a bit strenuous, compared to the 2 other 400 fps crossbows that I have owned, but most likely inherent with the design, and the price you pay for the simplicity of the recurve design. ----Rope cocker was about 2 inches to short, practically impossible to use, had to replace the cocking string with a longer one. even after fighting it through about 12 cocking cycles, pulling on it, and snapping it in an attempt to stretch it a bit. ----(also disappointing)----A little weak in the quality control dept. for $1,100-----On the plus side, it does shoot well, with good speed. -----I put a Optimizer on it, and am using a Bushnell 1.75 /4x scope. After adjusting at 20 yards, (using the same bolt for every shot) went to 30, then 50, then 80 yds. My first group of 3 bolts at 80 yds. put the 3 bolts within a 3 - 4 inch group. I was impressed by that! --BTW, I am a lefty, and shoot as a lefty, but the Optimizer did not interfere with my shooting. --- Was using 100 grain field tips, and the factory bolts. ----- Also took a couple of shots at 80 yds. with the Rage Hypodermic practice tip, flew exactly as the field points. (also 100 grain)---Magic number on the Optimizer with factory string / setup was 26, indicating a solid 380 fps. ---- Assembly was very easy, and, and the quiver design is probably the best I've seen, and the trigger is very good.------ -So all in all, I am happy with it, and will keep it. ------ Probably need some time to adjust to the recurve type crossbow. ---I did find it a bit noisy, but hear that is typical of this type of crossbow. --- Would I trade my Parker crossbows for? --- probably not at this time, but with some getting to know each other time, who knows? -----Just my opinions, and honest feedback makes for better products....... Thanks
Last edited by Raptorman on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LongCarbine

Re: First Impressions of Matrix 380

Post by LongCarbine »

Sorry the Matrix 380 was not what you where hoping for . I just got my 355 and couldn't be happier. May be after you shoot it more you might like it better. Any way good luck .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

LongCarbine wrote:Sorry the Matrix 380 was not what you where hoping for . I just got my 355 and couldn't be happier. May be after you shoot it more you might like it better. Any way good luck .
Well said I have a 380 and I feel the same way I wouldnt trade it for anything :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Boo

Post by Boo »

Are you Boonechaser?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Boo wrote:Are you Boonechaser?
BAM!
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I think you will like your 380 the more you shoot it and I understand its hard to switch brands because of the loyalty that one has for a company that they believe in. Good luck with your Excalibur Experience and let us know how it holds up compared to the Parker.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Another thread with pointless accusations..

Op, I hope you get a chance to enjoy your bow before this forum turns you completely off of it.
David
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Regarding the rope cocker- it's supposed to be 'too short', as it helps to reduce the distance in drawing. I actually shortened mine even more so that before the pull its already halfway home before I touch the handles. Obviously, without cams, the 380 will feel harder to draw compared to your Parker. I also believe that the 5.9lbs advertised is without accessories, and has to be lighter than almost any compond crossbow out there.

Welcome to the forum, and I'm sure once you put the 380 through the paces you'll really like it. I've owned plenty of crossbows from many manufacturers and the matrix is by far my favorite.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

Yeah the rope cocker is short on purpose, pull the string up to hook. The riser and rail both are aluminum not plastic. It is a beast bow to cock and aggressive on the shot but theres no free lunch for speed. The tactzone is a crap scope no doubt about it but the quiver is nice and like every other excalibur the rest of the bow is great quality. I do believe the bow is weighed without accessories, its not a light bow once you get it outfitted but its fairly balanced and not too heavy. I found them to be more aggressive than I like but a great bow. I'm waiting for the next generation :)
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Pydpiper wrote:Another thread with pointless accusations..

Op, I hope you get a chance to enjoy your bow before this forum turns you completely off of it.
David
LongCarbine wrote:Sorry the Matrix 380 was not what you where hoping for . I just got my 355 and couldn't be happier. May be after you shoot it more you might like it better. Any way good luck .

I don't see any accusations or any ill feelings in my statement . I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets tired of being lumped together on one side or the other in this feud some members seam to be waging.
Jim
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

you said,

"---Magic number on the Optimizer with factory string / setup was 26, indicating a solid 380 fps. ---"

do you really think that formula is correct ?

we have several real high speed wheeled cb's and none can be compared with any device except a quality chronograph.. too many variables :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Raptorman

Post by Raptorman »

[quote="gendoc"]you said,

"---Magic number on the Optimizer with factory string / setup was 26, indicating a solid 380 fps. ---"

do you really think that formula is correct ?

we have several real high speed wheeled cb's and none can be compared with any device except a quality chronograph.. too many variables :wink:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I agree that the Optimizer formula is "iffy" at best. I was simply trying to give a tip to someone else who is considering the Optimizer----- Assuming they are using the bolts that come with the bow, and 100 grain tips, the number should be the same. I do feel that I have owned enough bows that I am a pretty good judge of bolt speed. And I am confident that as described, it is shooting 380 .....a compliment to the power of the bow. For what it's worth, I do indeed like the bow, and agree that it is pretty awesome.
Raptorman

Post by Raptorman »

pinshooter wrote:Yeah the rope cocker is short on purpose, pull the string up to hook. The riser and rail both are aluminum not plastic. It is a beast bow to cock and aggressive on the shot but theres no free lunch for speed. The tactzone is a crap scope no doubt about it but the quiver is nice and like every other excalibur the rest of the bow is great quality. I do believe the bow is weighed without accessories, its not a light bow once you get it outfitted but its fairly balanced and not too heavy. I found them to be more aggressive than I like but a great bow. I'm waiting for the next generation :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You might want to check with Excalibur, I am pretty sure that the riser and rail on the 380, are polymer.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Raptorman wrote:
pinshooter wrote:Yeah the rope cocker is short on purpose, pull the string up to hook. The riser and rail both are aluminum not plastic. It is a beast bow to cock and aggressive on the shot but theres no free lunch for speed. The tactzone is a crap scope no doubt about it but the quiver is nice and like every other excalibur the rest of the bow is great quality. I do believe the bow is weighed without accessories, its not a light bow once you get it outfitted but its fairly balanced and not too heavy. I found them to be more aggressive than I like but a great bow. I'm waiting for the next generation :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You might want to check with Excalibur, I am pretty sure that the riser and rail on the 380, are polymer.
I don,t know about the 380 but my 355 is definitely
aluminum .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Boo wrote:Are you Boonechaser?
Why,because I am the only person to have a problem with my Matrix? See the problem here is.... My bow and scope was just fine out of the box, I never complained about it, even though I had the same quiver bracket problem as another poster.
I just began posting that I believe that there is a place to talk about issues with Excalibur bows and it should be this forum. A new poster or one that has been here for years should be able to talk about his problems, without smart comments from the fanboys. Speaking up for others, made people mad I guess, and then all of a sudden, I was the one with a issue with a bow or I was actually just here to down excal.

Besides, can you tell me what this PM is to mean with making this post, right after?

Sent: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:51 am
To: Boonechaser

Hey Dennis, can I ask that we all take a couple of steps back and not waste our time and energy hacking away at each other here?
Last edited by Boonechaser on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.