New Crossbow Hunter with a 355

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Amrap

New Crossbow Hunter with a 355

Post by Amrap »

I have hunted with a vertical compound for 17 years and have now purchased a Matrix 355. First, I'd like to thank everyone on this site for their reviews of the bows and on the company Excalibur. Even after all the reviews and videos I watched online I couldn't believe how accurate this bow was. After sighting the bow in and the confidence I felt with it's accuracy, I had my fiance shoot (whom never shot a crossbow before) from 40yds. She hit the ten ring on my 3d target the first shot! Don't let the 240lb draw weight scare you off either. The rope cocking aid makes it much easier than you think. So, thanks Excalibur for a fantastic bow and the memories yet to come!
Matrix 355
Diablos with 150 BC (not very imaginative, but accurate)

"Put on your harness. If you fall today, you can't hunt tomorrow"
Riflemanz

Re: New Crossbow Hunter with a 355

Post by Riflemanz »

What BH are you using?
Welcome to Team Matrix! :D
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Amrap

Post by Amrap »

Haven't made up my mind yet. I've got a couple weeks here in Michigan before I need to make up my mind. I've been thinking about the 150 Bolt Cutters. Any recommendations?
Matrix 355

ranger

Post by ranger »

Welcome to the Matrix family, the Bolt Cutters work fine with the Diablo arrows, its when you start changing arrows thing can get different, what you have now will be good and get you through the season. IMHO.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
Huronsteel

Post by Huronsteel »

I'm also a new crossbow hunter with a matrix55, I just open up the box to take a look, haven't even read the manual yet or watch the video. I noticed there was no notches to set the brace height any info would be much appreciated
ldock

Post by ldock »

Congratulations to all the matrix 355 owners.Sounds like a great bow, good accuracy and great reviews. Still haven't been able to get my hands on one or even see one except pictures, the closest dealer is over 100 miles. One of these days though. Good luck and good hunting.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I shot a buck tonight with a 100gr Rocket 3 blade head with 2 rubber bands on it.It died 20yds later.Great head!I also like the Rage 100gr 2 blade crossbow head.Those fly just like a field point.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Amrap

Post by Amrap »

Congratulations on the deer Riflemanz! I've always like fixed better than mechanical, so I bought the 150 BC last night. If they don't fly right I won't use them, but from the sounds of things I should be ok. I have a buddy that just bought a 355 too and he is going to use the Rage 2 blade this year. We'll have to compare entrances and exits this year (hopefully). Here's what I'm going after this year. Wish me luck!
Matrix 355

Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Amrap wrote:Haven't made up my mind yet. I've got a couple weeks here in Michigan before I need to make up my mind. I've been thinking about the 150 Bolt Cutters. Any recommendations?
Slick Trick mags in 100 grs.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Amrap wrote:Congratulations on the deer Riflemanz! I've always like fixed better than mechanical, so I bought the 150 BC last night. If they don't fly right I won't use them, but from the sounds of things I should be ok. I have a buddy that just bought a 355 too and he is going to use the Rage 2 blade this year. We'll have to compare entrances and exits this year (hopefully). Here's what I'm going after this year. Wish me luck!
It's just me, but I worry about the Rage opening up prematurely. Happened to me, but I got lucky and still made a killing shot because the buck was only 15 yards away, and I was on the ground. So no mechs here. IMO all that marketing about entrance wound etc. is just that. Shot a doe with an old Thunderhead on Saturday and could have blood trailed it by feeling the ground there was so much. Shot placement is the most important thing.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

The new Rage crossbow 2 blade 100gr heads come with a collar and not a rubber band.No worries about opening early!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

That sounds like a better plan. Do they hold together when they hit bone, or are they still "disposable" after the shot? All of the blades that I had pass through a deer were trashed.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Collar doesn't fall off after a hit.I shot one that hit the ground and collar was still on.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Amrap

Post by Amrap »

I shot the 150 gr bolt cutters tonight on the stock Diablo arrows and couldn't be happier. Was hitting a three inch by two inch leaf at 40 yds tonight. 20 and 30 yds were within a inch and a half (two different arrows shot two times each with the same bh). Still got two sharp ones for Oct 1st. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure ill be looking for more!
Matrix 355