bow shooting left

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rbcss

bow shooting left

Post by rbcss »

hello all, I just received my Ibex yesterday and put together. I came home early to sight it in today. the scope is the standard one that comes with the kit.
the bow hit about 7" to the left. I brought it over 4 clicks to see where I was at. I know it instructions says 2 clicks for every inch. but 4 licks brought me in about me in an inch. long story short I finally brought the scope all the way out 12 clicks and it's hitting on the outside line of a 4 inch circle. and the arrows are
grouping there. I checked the level of the limbs with the straightness of the crosshairs everything looks good. I double checked to make sure everything is tight. I did put on the s5 kit.
any thoughts. maybe the string needs to break in?
thanks
bobcattrapper

Re: bow shooting left

Post by bobcattrapper »

I'm thinking there is a bad batch of these scopes.I just sent mine back today for a upgrade free replacement.I did have to pay a extra 30.00 for the better scope.You can read what I wrote about mine on my only post.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Are you cantin yer excal while shootin? It will make yer arrow hit the way yer cantin. The father the yardage the worse it becomes
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

So are you out of adjustment? are both rings turned the same way? i.e. both lge screw knobs on same side? You might try re- mounting it and see what happens. or turn rings other way and see if that does anything. just some thoughts
rbcss

Post by rbcss »

yes both ring bolts are the same side. mounted the big screws on left side. I will try switching sides to see what happens.
I'm started at 10 yards. used the 10 yard marker on the scope. then when 20 yards didn't make much of a difference hit the same area. (cantin? sorry not sure what that means)
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

cant means holding your bow on a slight angle .Some folks cant a rifle too.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I dont want to be accused of being a bully or a meany But are you an archer or are you new to all this The reason why Im asking is because if you dont do every thing the same way everytime like hold the crossbow a certain way or sqeeze the trigger the same way the best most expensive scope in the world means squat 90 percent of the time if not more its human error Its human nature to blame anything other than yourself Im not saying all this with any ill feelings Im just going by experience some people think they can just pick up a crossbow or any kind of archery equipment and be smacking bullseyes And if they dont its the scope or something else or faulty equipment of somekind so be patient and work threw it slowly but it sounds like your flinchin when your pullin the trigger instead of a steady sqeeze Hope this helps and good luck :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Dick Dogg

Post by Dick Dogg »

I just sighted in my new Matrix 380. Sweet. I got out my Ibex to shoot some, make sure it was on. My first day I shot good. The next day I was shooting to the left about 4 inches. I'm offshore on an oil platform now. I hope to find out if it was me or the bow when I get in.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

rbcss wrote:yes both ring bolts are the same side. mounted the big screws on left side. I will try switching sides to see what happens.
I'm started at 10 yards. used the 10 yard marker on the scope. then when 20 yards didn't make much of a difference hit the same area. (cantin? sorry not sure what that means)
Every thing on a scope needs to be tightened in sequence and evenly.
The gap between upper and lower ring halves should be equal all the way around.
The mount screws for rings to the scope mount should be done up and tightened finger tight first and then just enough pressure so the scope does not move.
Too loose is no good and neither is too tight.
You need to strike a balance and not so tight as to distort the position of the scope.
Allen wrenches and screwdriver will do that.
On the allen wrenches it's finger tip pressure only and on the flat screws I use a coin no bigger than a quarter.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

My scope issue sounds like yours too.Same scope.I'm no newbie to scopes.I think in mine the internals were not getting set with the clicks.If everthing is set up and aligned,scopes and mounts tight going too many clicks to move a cross hair over I know on a rifle can really cause issues at long range.To move it some of course is normal.I am probably in the minority but still say its your scope.I used a bench and a rifle rest and to have one dead center and the next about 18" off tells me all I need to know.Scope mounts or bow.Most likly scope.Really only you know your level of experience with scopes and rifles.I hope my new scope cures my problem.I did have the option to send in my new bow but chose not to.
rbcss

Post by rbcss »

new to crossbow, yes. new to archery no. I been shooting for better than twenty years. I shot a Ibex for a first time at Cabela's last week and hit the bulls eyes each time. I'm not afraid to ask questions if I don't know. I hope to get the knowledge from this sight from experience crossbow shooters. I'm pretty sure I'm level. I took the scope rings and hardware apart and repositioned them to the first and last part of the scope mount. they were closer together. I will shoot again in the morning.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

bobcattrapper wrote:I am probably in the minority but still say its your scope.I used a bench and a rifle rest and to have one dead center and the next about 18" off tells me all I need to know.Scope mounts or bow.Most likly scope.Really only you know your level of experience with scopes and rifles.I hope my new scope cures my problem.I did have the option to send in my new bow but chose not to.
So you don't think there is anything wrong with the second arrow.
Shoot a dozen different arrows and if the all are all over the target, then it is the scope.
I've been at this a long time and it's tough to get matched arrows that come with a packaged bow.
I buy my bows bare and buy my scope and arrows separately.
Arrows are spine matched and indexed but I fletch them myself.
I want and expect 2" groups at 40 yards and I don't think one can expect that with arrows that are off the shelf.

Hard for me to say it is the scope when so many factors come in to play.
The original poster will have to decide if the scope is a problem or not.
I certainly cannot tell from here.

I don't know who his dealer is but I can drive to mine and let him deal with issues that I cannot solve on my own.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

rbcss:
No need to panic as I'm sure Excalibur will take care of the issue for you.
Not sure how helpful Cabelas would be to you.
I'm lucky to have a full time archery dealer to handle my issues. So far none to worry about.
I too started out with vertical bows but crossbows are a different animal altogether.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Yes I always try to isolate certain things.I switched arrows around.Unless all mine are bad lol But I do see what your saying.If this was a firearm I'd try several brands and weights of bullets or float the barrel etc...it does really relate to ones experience when issues do arise.I'm confident my new scope will cure my problem.Thanks again for the reminer though as I will definatly recheck with my arrows on my new scope. :D
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

With firearms I made sure to season the barrel. Not many manufacturers point that out to a purchaser or the don't read any material related to their firearm of choice.

My muzzleloader as a case in point, I shot 200 patch and ball through it to season the barrel. Just let it get hot enough to season then clean with patch and mild soap.

After the seasoning it would shoot a 3" group at 100 yards with iron sights.

Not sure if we can season a crossbow or not.
String will settle in and it might not hurt to see if one could float the rail as well.
On a new Excalibur, the trigger will have to wear in a little for best performance.
I don't rule out anything that might help.