Shoot through mesh?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred T

Shoot through mesh?

Post by Fred T »

I have been looking online at ground blinds and many have said window mesh,suitable for guns and arrows with fixed blade BH's.I can't see how it would'nt have some affect on trajectory?Has anyone tried shooting a fixed blade broadhead through this stuff?
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
LongCarbine

Re: Shoot through mesh?

Post by LongCarbine »

I have , it works ok but you should keep shots inside 30 yards . I open the window that I think the deer will come in from and keep the back one closed so I don't get back lite . I can't see out of the screens very well at dusk.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2
"Eze 18:21"
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

X4.

with firearms last year I got 3 deer and two turkeys by shooting through the openings above the mesh. made 3-4 inch slits by adjusting the zippers, and tried to avoid backlighting and showing any movement. The slits might have to be a bit bigger for the bow, to leave room for limb movement during shooting.

the mesh is hard to see through, especially during low light conditions, and I would trust a deflection or even opening a mechanical.......
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Fred T wrote:I have been looking online at ground blinds and many have said window mesh,suitable for guns and arrows with fixed blade BH's.I can't see how it would'nt have some affect on trajectory?Has anyone tried shooting a fixed blade broadhead through this stuff?
I have tried many times to get a shift in POI shooting through mesh, and it simply does not change a thing.
I did testing years ago with Slick Tricks, I tried at different angles, different temperatures, different distances, wet, dry, frozen.. No matter what I did I could not find a difference.
If you are shooting a good fixed blade, do so with confidence.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks for the replies gents.Pydpiper that is great info ,you have done all the research for me. :D
I went ahead and ordered one of these.
http://www.costco.ca/ALTAN-Safe-Outdoor ... 52910.html
There are not a lot of user reviews available on it but it looks to be atleast of reasonable quality.It's plenty big enough for two of us and with lots of visibility.
The mesh is removable if I feel the need.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Someone on here replaced the Velcro on the mesh with magnets or something, your first opportunity to pull off one of those mesh windows in the woods, and you will understand why.
In my experimental stage I went through close to 20 of those windows before my blind went in to the woods. Also worth noting that all 3 of my dry fires happens during those tests too.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Pydpiper wrote: ...your first opportunity to pull off one of those mesh windows in the woods, and you will understand why.
Might as well be setting off explosives eh? :lol:

I hope not to experience any dry fires.I have been vigilant so far but it will happen someday. :cry:.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

I have a Double Bull Matrix 360 ground blind and have hunted both deer and turkey out of it. You can leave the windows open and turkey will walk right by it. Deer will spook if the windows are open, they show up as black holes in the woods. Even with the mesh screens up deer will really look you over. It seams that they see something new in the woods. Use fixed blade broad heads and shoot through the mesh.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

If you can (not everyone can), it's best to set up your blind(s) a week or two (or more!) before you start to hunt, so the local game get used to seeing it, and so that it gets a chance to air out any chemical or other smell.

I am fortunate enough to hunt my own property so I will set up the blinds and ladder stand a week or two before the season starts, and leave them up all season. Of course once the leaves and brush fall, I might relocate one blind deeper into the woods......
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I've been using shoot thru mesh for many years I shoot Slick Trick BH's and have never had any issues. From early season straight through the end of December No deflection, no change in point of impact. I wear all black clothing and insure no light comes from windows behind me. I have had deer walk close enough that I could touch them if I wanted to. I put my blinds up at least two weeks before i hunt from them so deer become comfortable with their presence.
I have to replace the mesh after the second year as it gets pretty ragged from shooting thru it not it's a small price to pay for the concealment
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks guys,it showed up today so I put it up in the back yard to gas out for a few days.Unfortunately I don't think I will get a chance to set it up much before Oct1 when our hunt starts.
I'll be using muzzy fixed blades so looks like I'm good to go with mesh in place.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

I took my mesh windows from my blind and cut holes in all of them, just as wide as my foot stirrup on my exocet and high enough from my stirrup and top of my scope....no need to shot through any junk :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Another test I did that I forgot to mention, is using a Windex bottle of water, coating the mesh with water and letting it freeze.
Still no change in POI.
Somebody was thinking when they designed that stuff.
WMU 91
Boo string
lscha

Post by lscha »

Thanks David!! For the first time, I gathered the courage to shoot through the mesh this year based on what your experiences were.

My arrow hit exactly where I aimed and recovery was only 40 yards. I'm a believer! :D
Last edited by lscha on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381