New 355...2nd Impressions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

New 355...2nd Impressions

Post by Drew »

Ok so it's been a week or so since I picked up my 355 and I have about 125 shots thru it. Got it all dialed in nicely shooting the 20" BE Zombies with 125gr field points. Overall I'm extremely impressed with the accuracy. I totally believe everyone when they say do not shoot at the same bullseye more than once. The zombies are weighing 446gr and the few readings I had time to get off the chrony (distance 2'), are right around 320fps with these. This also matches the reading on the speed ring of the TactZone scope.
40yds
40yds
40yds.JPG (42.53 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
I really want to thank Danny Miller for his conversation and insight what a great guy to chat with. I added his version of the REDS to the bow along with one of his flemish strings. This seemed to quiet the bow down quite a bit.

Danny also sent me some medium height scope rings to mount my Nikon Bolt XR scope but they proved to be still too low. The Nikon's bell contacted the rail so I guess I'll send them back. On first impressions I was not impressed at all with the Tact-Zone scope and I mentioned this in a previous post after I first picked up the 355. After using it and getting it sighted in I think I will continue to use it this year for hunting season. While I don't care for the chevrons, I do like the illuminated reticle (my first), and the adjustments are positive and repeatable.

I did notice a few things though. And before any takes this as criticsm I will just say I love the bow and I love it's accuracy, it's a heck of a hunting tool. First, the channel the arrow rests in is not symetrical side to side. One side of the channel has a beveled chamfer, the other a radius. I thought it odd. I also noticed that where the riser is milled out to provide broadhead/fletching clearance, doesn't provide enough clearance for blazer vanes. The cock vane probably interferes with the riser by about 1/8". Enough that the fletching is getting very slightly peeled as it passes over the first riser attachement bolt hole (there is a sharp edge here from the tapping operation). Has anyone else noticed this?

[at
Fletching Contact
Fletching Contact
fletching contact.JPG (22.54 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
Riser Fillet, chamfer, fletching shavings
Riser Fillet, chamfer, fletching shavings
Riser.JPG (30.33 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Re: New 355...2nd Impressions

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Hi Drew,

The rails are extruded and the top radius can vary slightly but will not influence performance. There looks to be a slight bur on the outside of the tapped hole as a result of the tapping process. This is not typical however, if you would like to give me a call we can discuss this further.

800-463-1817 ext. 210

Peter
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Hi Drew,

The rails are extruded and the top radius can vary slightly but will not influence performance. There looks to be a slight bur on the outside of the tapped hole as a result of the tapping process. This is not typical however, if you would like to give me a call we can discuss this further.

800-463-1817 ext. 210

Peter
Now thats service Why would anybody not buy an Excalibur with reps like this Awesome is all I can say :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Milan

Post by Milan »

Hey Drew!

I have the same problems with the vanes. At the moment I am shooting a tad smaller profile easton vanes. But I am gona get Nap quickspin vanes (3").

Peter, in my case is not the problem tapping bur, but the whole riser is higher than vane rail - slot.

Drew

Post by Drew »

JPjunkie, I agree what fantastic service! Excalibur is a top notch crossbow company that's for sure. Only other company I've had service anywhere near as good is Cabela's.

Marketing Dude called me right back after I left him a message. Kudos to him!!!
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads