Crossbow for the whole family?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Crossbow for the whole family?

Post by learn2flyfish »

Okay, we tried a friends Equinox and had a BLAST this past weekend. Now we want a Crossbow and I'm sold on Excalibur.

So, which one? I was looking around on the site and believe that a smaller sized, lower powered bow would better serve us.

I had no problem cocking the Equinox but I don't think my kids could have. My daughter is 15 and grown woman size, 5' 7" and 160 or so. Cheerleader strong.

My son is 12 and an average sized kid.

From what I can see the Phoenix seems like a good compromise but I'm concerned that the lighter weight bow won't be as accurate but I don't know why I think this.

The Axiom/Ibex seem okay too but I'm concerned about the synthetic mainframe instead of Aluminum.

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks,

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
onebigskittle

Re: Crossbow for the whole family?

Post by onebigskittle »

Paul all of the Excaliburs are accurate so any of them will be a great bow for your family but with the kids you might want to look at something that would suit you all and the lower pound crossbows are more of a joy to shoot just because its a little more easy to cock than the higher pound ones are but even then you can buy the c2 crank aid.
Welcome to the forum
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome, any of them are great bows. you are better off to go a dealer near you that sells them and try them out. hold them and see what feels good for all of you. even the smaller ones are deadly, my wife shot her first black bear 2 weeks ago with her pink vixenll. good luck.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Phoenix is a great platform. There are many forum members here that swear by theirs. There are also a lot of Vixen and VixenII shooters who wouldnt trade for anything in the line. The VixenII has a slightly shorter stock that some folks like and its still long enough that you wont complain about it being too short. All Excals are accurate and easy to set up and get shooting. Have fun deciding. :lol:
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Go with the vixen, you won't be sorry. The Phoenix would be a good option for the fam too. Can't really go wrong with either of these two. A factor to consider here is not only draw weight, but the overall mass of the bow. My wife doesn't like to shoot my equinox because its heavy for her to hold on target. But she is steady with the Vixen and very accurate too.

I, personally, would avoid the Axiom and Ibex with those SMF rails, although many people on here own them and like them. Happy hunting.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Go with the Vixen. If they outgrow it they can move up later.

There is a difference in amount of strength it takes to cock and uncock it even with the rope cocker. You want to keep it as much fun as possible for the younger folk and the Vixen is a great place to start.

There also seems to be a niche market for Vixens as well - always seem to be people looking to pick up another one. Shouldn't have trouble selling it again down the road.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Accuracy and stopping power will never be a problem with any of the hunting bows. I bought a Phoenix for my wife and 3 daughters to shoot. My wife and two oldest daughters can cock it but my youngest cannot. She is very fit and about 5'4" tall and maybe 110 lbs soaking wet.

The Vixen II may be the best way to go for the whole family to enjoy.

I'm actually considering swapping out the Phoenix rail for a Vixen II rail so the youngest brat can pull it back herself. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I have 212 1/2lb, 200, 175, 150, 125, 90lbs and one 60lbs. All recurve crossbows. Get enough on your wall and they can just pick one to shoot. Hope this helps. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I would go with the Vixen or wait to see what Excalibur comes out with next there is a rumor out there that they will have one like the Vixen is with the narrow limb design.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wheelie wrote:I have 212 1/2lb, 200, 175, 150, 125, 90lbs and one 60lbs. All recurve crossbows. Get enough on your wall and they can just pick one to shoot. Hope this helps. :oops: :lol: :lol:
It would take too long to decide which one to shoot!! :lol:
lscha

Post by lscha »

You will not be disappointed in the Vixen II. If, for some reason, you think you need a bigger bow, you won't be able to part with the Vixen. All the Excaliburs are great, but the Vixen is your go-to bow for comfortable hunting.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We have 7 Excaliburs at home, when it comes to target shooting everyone gravitates to the Ibex, and now with a Vixen in the family it is a very close second.
I like the Vixen because it very closely mimics my hunting bow, the Exocet, but way easier to handle and cock.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Thanks everyone for the help thus far. I've narrowed down the choices to two. Both are in excellent condition.

One is a Viper. It's a little more now than I was looking for but comes with over 20 bolts and an "EZ fletch" (maybe thats correct). Price is $600 plus shipping.

The other is an Ibex with an Aluminum barrel, extra string that is $400 shipped.

Both have scopes. I'm leaning toward the Ibex.

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Thanks so much. I've been reading and the consensus seems to be that the smaller/less powerful bows have a lot going for them. Less stress on the bow/strings, more compact, lighter, etc.

Another thing I've noticed is that there are few used Vixen bows for sale but many more of the heavier bows are available........interesting.

I've got a line right now on a used Ibex with an Aluminum barrel. I'll let y'all know what I wind up doing.

Paul