Axiom and Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Knymc

Axiom and Broadheads

Post by Knymc »

Searched trying to find the answer, but nothing I am sure of. I just purchased a new Axiom online. Being shipped out today. I am wanting to use the bolts that came with it, which according to the online description are the 350 grain Firebolts.

What I want to do is buy some Broadheads that work well with this bolt, but not sure what grain or weight I should get or even a brand that will fly just as accurate or close to it as the field tips that are coming with the new bow. Considering the bolt cutters but I doubt I can find them around here, may have to order. A small bow shop here has some but can't remember the brand.

Understand I am new to crossbows, and hunted very little before with regular bows. I have been reading as much as I can on the Internet.

Also as I understand it, it is best to sight them in with field tips, then shoot Broadheads to see how they fly. So if the bh, is say shooting a little high, would you recommend scope adjustment so bh it's dead center and the field points now a little low?

Thoughts???
vixenmaster

Re: Axiom and Broadheads

Post by vixenmaster »

I think it comes wid 150gr field pts. Some use the Excal Boltcutters others use Slicktricks & so on. Sometimes you jus have to sight the BH's in & go huntin not worry wid where the field pts hit after that.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
genghisrock

Post by genghisrock »

I too was in the same boat as you with the same bow. I couldnt find much information or guidance on this so I just used best judgement. I heard about Slick Tricks, found out that they make a 150 grain magnum xbow brodhead and bought them. They hit hard, too hard. I tested them on my black hole target and at 30 yards they were hitting deep, to the flights on my arrows. I was previously using 125 grain field tips and 125 grain Toika brodheads and at 30 yards, they went in half way. I suggest these and cant wait until October 1 here in London to test out what they will do to a deer.

I hope this helps
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
Slick Trick Magnum xbow broadheads 150 grain
Easton Bloodlines
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Two guys i know both use 150gr boltcutters
with their Axiom.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Knymc

Post by Knymc »

Thanks for the responses. After more Internet searching, I felt it was going to be a try and see approach to this. So I ordered some 150 grain Boltcutters along with some 150 grain SlickTricks. Once the bow arrives, I will try em out, see which one if any make a difference.
Knymc

Post by Knymc »

Just received the axiom and assembled. Sited in the field points that came with it at 10 yds. Also using supplied 20 in Firebolts. Out of the box, shooting 2 in high, and 1 1/2 in right. Not bad. So after 6 or so shots, had it dialed in at 10 yds. Move out to 20 yds, FP' just tad high and little left like half inch or less from center. Switched to excalibur boltcutter and firebolt bolt. Hits in the same spot as FP's or at least less than half inch. Made few very slight scope adjustments, now both hitting dead center within a quarter inch of it, which may just be me.

Anyhow, to sum it up, the Firebolts with 150 grain Boltcutters hit almost identical to the FP's at 20 yards so far. Very impressed with this bow! I also bought some 150 grain slick tricks, will shoot them next and see.
Knymc

Post by Knymc »

So after shooting it a few more times, the FP's are actually hitting about an inch high and an inch left of where the Boltcutters are hitting. They are still within the bullseye, where the boltcutter is hitting dead center of bullseye at 20 yds.

The Boltcutters are also hitting hard and bury the bolt up to the vanes in my "The Block" target. So much so that if I hit in the same spot twice, only about half of the vanes are sticking out. This is why I am shooting once and pulling them before I shoot again. Can't afford to Robin Hood these bolts. Lol.
Knymc

Post by Knymc »

Ok, so I just finished shooting the Boltcutters vs the 150 gr slick tricks. The Boltcutters are consistently hitting 1 inch left of center, up/down perfect. The slicks are dead center period. This is at 20yds. Basically if you use or sight either BH in, I wouldn't be scared to use the other at all. They basically hit within an inch of each other, more than accurate to knock down a deer.

Had I not done the shoot once, then pull it, I would have robin hooded both with a second shot. These Broadheads are so bad to the bone that they are destroying my block, and if I hit the second spot again, I have to push the bolt out from the rear as there is nothing to grab in the front.