deer attractant

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drags

deer attractant

Post by drags »

I was looking for a deer attractant mix at the store and I see that they are very expensive. Does anyone have a homemade recipe where I can buy the ingredients and make it myself.
Thanks
drags
Oppie

Re: deer attractant

Post by Oppie »

Villana! Cheap an deer love it!
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
the elf

Post by the elf »

Bears also love it !
_woods

Post by _woods »

Your location, and bait laws in your area would be helpful.
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

You can also make a mock scrape.Just clear out a spot and pee in it.No I'm not kidding! Being a trapper has taught me many things over the years.One being animals associate human odor with what we smell like on the outside.Plenty of things out there to seperate you from your money! If there are deer around do like I said and you can see for yourself.I have seen them tear up the ground.I would still use something like primos big red.If your really cheap just throw out some gronola bars.The trouble with food is squirrels and other stuff eat it too though! Right now i have a feeder set up for my first time with corn.I kinda laugh at the lengths folks go to complicate stuff.Like using a pee bottle in a tree stand.As for me I'll just pee right off it .Why waste it.Kinda like making a coyote set and try to cover up all your odor buy using rubber gloves and rubber boots etc... well I got news for you..the coyote already knows you were at that spot .You can take what i say and apply it or chalk it up as internet crap talk.Its free.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

bobcattrapper wrote:You can also make a mock scrape.Just clear out a spot and pee in it.No I'm not kidding!
X2

Tried this one year in front of my stand. Had a doe come in and check it out and pee in it... a couple steps later she had an arrow fly thru her...

Fn
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

bobcattrapper wrote:You can also make a mock scrape.Just clear out a spot and pee in it.No I'm not kidding! Being a trapper has taught me many things over the years.One being animals associate human odor with what we smell like on the outside.Plenty of things out there to seperate you from your money! If there are deer around do like I said and you can see for yourself.I have seen them tear up the ground.I would still use something like primos big red.If your really cheap just throw out some gronola bars.The trouble with food is squirrels and other stuff eat it too though! Right now i have a feeder set up for my first time with corn.I kinda laugh at the lengths folks go to complicate stuff.Like using a pee bottle in a tree stand.As for me I'll just pee right off it .Why waste it.Kinda like making a coyote set and try to cover up all your odor buy using rubber gloves and rubber boots etc... well I got news for you..the coyote already knows you were at that spot .You can take what i say and apply it or chalk it up as internet crap talk.Its free.
Yes indeed! Been wizzin in front of trail cams an outta tree stands for many yrs. Deer will stop in front of a trail cam just to smell where I peed. Seems though they prefer beer urine over coffee though, just my unofficial results :lol: :lol:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Oppie wrote: Yes indeed! Been wizzin in front of trail cams an outta tree stands for many yrs. Deer will stop in front of a trail cam just to smell where I peed. Seems though they prefer beer urine over coffee though, just my unofficial results :lol: :lol:
I try to cut back on coffee and eat more apples during deer season for that reason. It works.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Only 2 deer lures I will actually buy are Russ Carman Trophy Deer Lure and Hawbaker Big Buck Lure.You have to order them but they work!They will work all season too.Not specific to the Rut.If they get a wiff and are around they will come.The Carman one is actually a very pleasant smell.The Hawbaker one is kinda strong smelling.I think that one has some kind of Asian musk in it.
rbcss

Post by rbcss »

I have had deer I didn't see come running over to where I peed. then became cautious when they didn't see a deer there. but never looked up.
also the peanut butter works I got pic's of the deer licking peanut butter from the plastic container I had screwed to the tree and also raccoons and squirrels hanging from the container eating the peanut butter.
drags

Post by drags »

Thanks for the replys but I was thinking of a food or a mix of salt and other ingredients. Also is the vanilla used by itself or mixed with something else.
drags
_woods

Post by _woods »

If legal, you can't go wrong with corn and apples.
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Oil of Anise works really well and it only takes a drop :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

_woods wrote:If legal, you can't go wrong with corn and apples.
X2
In front of my field cam I have a salt lick ,a partial bag of AcornRush and apples.The pics of the buck and doe appear as though they prefer the apples.The salt lick and AcornRush is untouched as far as I can tell.Today I added some corn to see how they take to it.
Last edited by Fred T on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I've hung one if those cotton scent keys from a branch, soaked in vanilla extract with success.

I've also had some success with whizzin in a mock scrape.

And I've baited with all kinds of food. Corn, apples, carrots, oats, c'mere deer, planted wild flowers and they have worked but you feed more raccoons and squirells than anything else!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-