Broadheads for moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Broadheads for moose

Post by vixenmaster »

G5 strikers or Magnus stingers or Slicktrick mags & standards!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot a bison last year with my Vortex and got the BH completely through the animal 3 out of 3 times, and got a complete arrow pass through on 1 shot (31, 18 and 25 yds). The arrow was an Easton FMJ Bolt with brass inserts, 2" Blazer vanes, and was tipped with a 100 gr G5 Montec CS. Total weight was 525gr.

I have since come to understand that good arrow penetration comes from momentum (not KE), impulse force, and arrow/BH integrity. So while my setup was good, when I go back in 2014, I will use the same arrow but tip it with a 150gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade. That will put me at 575gr, and I expect to put all arrows through the animal.

If I were to go hunt moose today, that would be my setup.

I wish the Montec CS came in heavier weights because that is a super tough head. One shot went straight through a rib ( about 2" wide and 1" thick) and you cannot even tell it was shot.

Hope that helps.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

This is just my preference I use zwikkies and a lot of cut on contact bladed broad heads. I feel that as soon as the blade touches the animal it starts cutting right away compared to the punch through like thunder heads and mechanicals. Don't get me wrong here I love my thunder heads and the montecs and a few other broad heads. I just know when a bolt hits a moose it has to do one of two things...... either stick inside or come out the other side there is no two ways about it. Hit it in the boiler room and it is going down!!!

Steve
rej

Post by rej »

My all round favorite is the Slick Trick 175 gr. crossbow magnum. Also like the NAP 125 gr. Hellrazor xbow. This is a cut on contact and went right through a moose. Many think a COC head is best for tough skinned game like moose or elk. The tip was deformed but that is cheap for a freezer full of meat. Wish you success with your hunt.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I wouldn't have a problem taking my Axiom with 125 grain G5 Strikers on a Moose hunt. I know any moose I wanted to take home would have a bad day!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

rej wrote:My all round favorite is the Slick Trick 175 gr. crossbow magnum. Also like the NAP 125 gr. Hellrazor xbow. This is a cut on contact and went right through a moose. Many think a COC head is best for tough skinned game like moose or elk. The tip was deformed but that is cheap for a freezer full of meat. Wish you success with your hunt.
I understand the thinking, but the deformed tip it hurting penetration more than one might think. That is why I would go with something like the Magnus. It's COC but also a very tough blade.

Check out Dr. Ed Ashby on alaskabowhunting.com. He has been doing testing on large African game for 20 years.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
doublelung911

Post by doublelung911 »

Boltcutter on a Firebolt passed right through the bull in my avi, just personal experience, hope it helps...

DL
They're there if you can get em'
sbox

Post by sbox »

There are many great broad heads out there. I just returned from South Africa where I shot Kudu, Warthog, Blue Wildebeest, Nyala and Blesbok all with my Excalibur Exocet. All were one shot kills, short blod trails (except the Warthog) and all with SLICK TRICK 125 gr. Magnums. I'm new to the crossbow world and used them because people on this forum and Archerytalk forum said thatthey are very accurate on out of a crossbow. And they are.
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
mitch

Post by mitch »

Hello .I am from Alma lac st.jean move in ontario 28 years a go. The bolt cutter is a good strongly built broad head very good for moose.