Shooting Distance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tradshooter

Shooting Distance

Post by tradshooter »

I am curious as to distance shooting. Has anyone shot an animal over the 50 yard mark? say 60 to 90 yards out? I know a lot of people wouldn't do this or some think it is not a good shot to do or even ethical. Everyone has their own beliefs and point of views. I am just wondering if anyone has made the shot and made the harvest? OR if you just tried to shoot at a practice target at or over the 60 yrds. and what the outcome was.
* please note* I am not asking if this is ethical or not like I have said everyone has their own preference.*

Steve
wheelie

Re: Shooting Distance

Post by wheelie »

Did you recover him? :roll:
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

There are threads here showing people shooting much farther than 90 yards....and nailing their target.

I'm not sure that there really is much room to argue against any bow, including crossbow, being a short range weapon. Anyone who has shot and missed, or shot and wounded, or shot and harvested big game at extreme long range (over 50 yards), I hope would be too afraid to make the claim.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have been hunting yearly with my Excalibur since 1991 and I certainly would NEVER take a long shot like that. I have shot 30 deer+ under 20 yards in those years. A crossbow is NOT a long range hunting tool.
Last edited by Normous on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
_woods

Post by _woods »

hankenhunter wrote:Nope, wouldnt do it. To many variables involved to make a clean kill a certanty.
Hank
X2
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

my hunting range is 30-35 tops, hate to wound an animal for doing long shots like that.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Haven't done it or tried it. 35 is about the max I think.
I shoot at 40 and 50 and the bow is deadly accurate - as everyone on here knows so that is not an issue. Noise at 40 would be an issue......but........just talking here........at 60 or 70 or 80, a heavy arrow would have plenty of momentum to do the job and the noise might not become the issue it was at 40. Guys shoot elk at 50 to 60 yards all the time with vert bows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

double post
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I know a man who shot a elk out in Colorado at 84 yrds The group were drinking and one came by them but it was pure luck. They say he didn't even us a sight and yes they got the elk there were several witness it. I would say over 30 yrds and I would have to drop out
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I mostly shoot Vixen's so Huntin 40 yds & under is all it will do properly. Targets i have shot out to 80 yds wid it, drops like a punkin, real fast
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've taken two doe at 40 yards with my Exomax. I would only take a 40 yard shot in perfect conditions (distance ranged, no wind, clear shot, calm/feeding deer, broadside). I've never attempted a shot on game farther than 40 yards. I had an alert doe at 38 yards jump the string severely, but I got a lucky hit anyway and a quick recovery. Many aren't so lucky. If I was really interested in taking the animal home (ie, trophy buck), I'd prefer him to be much closer than 40 yards.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

My on experience is just shooting at 40 yards maybe 50 but anything under 40 is what I have shot. Now saying that...... that was with a vert bow. My recurve is total max 40 yards. Now my new ibex???? I have sighted it in as to what the scope will allow me to. The next part....... shot at a distance that ifeel confident and comfortable with which would make it around and under the 40 yard mark.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

You can shoot a target all day long and hit bulls eye every time but your target is not going to move and your not thinking about killing your target..I don't know anyone that has ever had target fever :lol: . 30 yards for me 40 tops depending on what stand I am hunting
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

xcaliber wrote:I think shooting long distances for practice is great for tuning, and building your confidence in your equipment, and ability. I would not take shots on game past 40 yards though due to lost K.E. and the possibility of a bad hit. Injuring an animal without recovering it makes me sick! I want my shot to do the job as quickly, and effectively as possible.
It's not KE (0.5*M*V*V)that determines if arrow penetration but momentum(MV) - and specifically momentum that is derived more from arrow mass than velocity. A sufficiently heavy arrow would easy pass through an animal at longer distances.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
cthunt

Post by cthunt »

I shot 17 deer since i have been hunting with a xbow were allow 4 a year the farthest shot i took was 35 yards it was relaxed and looking away from me.
The average shot i took was 20 yards or less i feel its not ethical to take a shot over 40 yards ,
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazer
nap nightmares 100grn.