Store Bought Scents

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Store Bought Scents

Post by vixenmaster »

I hope i don't offend anyone today that reads this topic. Save yer money, best you usually do is get a deer curious enuff to come close enuff to offer a shot. Most of the time its young deer! Ppl. 2 things you need other than good luck n skill. Location location location, set up where yer deer are be as scent free as you can on the ground or low tree stands. If'en you can get above their nose. Use other deer as yer scent makers closer to the rut the better it gets. I really prefer to kill my Doe's no later than Oct 20 th here. Our rut starts early Nov. til about the 20th of Nov. After that i go back to shootin Doe's. I see a good many Bucks of all sizes from Oct. 26th til Nov. 20th, let them bald heads bring'em by yer stand area :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Oppie

Re: Store Bought Scents

Post by Oppie »

Well said! Lotta truth in your comments for sure.

On a side note, Here in Pa the PGC is considering a ban on deer urine scents, concern is the spreading of CWD in the deer herd.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We are already restricted to synthethics here.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

VixChix wrote:We are already restricted to synthethics here.
My favorite is no scents at all!
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have never found pure Doe urine! Some makers says theirs pure & undeluted, hogwash! Synthetics are the worst! Of course they're be some that like makin ppl. a good livin :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Have pretty much given up using scents - don't seem to make much difference where I hunt. I try to stay as scent free as possible in gear and clothing.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

vixenmaster wrote:I have never found pure Doe urine! Some makers says theirs pure & undeluted, hogwash! Synthetics are the worst! Of course they're be some that like makin ppl. a good livin :lol:
Amen! Ya know some Goat or Cow urine in the mix goes a long ways! And of coarse Joe hunter knows not a bit of difference, it all stinks!

Me and Mrs Oppie are hunting apple trees till the apples are gone, guaranteed to see deer, might not be in range or dark but, they'll be there.
When the apples are gone, we'll move to the trails where they enter the feeding areas.
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've tried a lot of the scents out there, never really had much luck with them--have yet to pop the top on a bottle of estrous and have a buck come crashing through 2 minutes later lol. Others swear by 'em so go figure, if it works for you keep doing it. Often wondered if it actually spooks them away. I still think your best bet is to find some good spots between their bedding areas and food sources, they're gonna eat.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

About 20yrs ago I had the end on doe urine, Had to keep it refrigerated and surely worked, it was 300.00 bucks a gal, so any thing to me should be kept cool until use.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

VixChix wrote:We are already restricted to synthethics here.
Actually unless things were changed, the last time I looked, we could not use natural fluids from the deer family. Likely due to CWD and other diseases the MNR wants to control.

I use fox or other scents as curiosity scents. Put them on the bottoms of my boots and many a deer has followed my trail in. I always do a loop so I see the deer before it gets right to my stand.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

I've used a dripper over a scrape with good results.
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used buck Bomb in Michigan once. I had a nice doe coming to the bait pile until she took a wiff of the Buck junk. She bolted away before I could line her up for a shot.

Scents make no sense.....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I've been playing this game for a long, long time. And it comes down to this. If you're breathing, you're creating scent and there is NOTHING that is going to eliminate it. If you're breathing, your breath emits scent as does your body. (actually body oils and sweat allow bacteria to grow that emit scent)

Knowing where deer are going to come from and the prevailing winds of your area, as well as treestand height, is the best way to combat a deer from scenting you.

When I was younger I smoked. I tried dipping while on stand as well as a million other things. I just couldn't stay in the stand very long without fidgeting. So I started carrying my smokes with me to the tree. I figured as long as I have my smokes, I might as well bring along my coffee too. I've killed some 140 inch class deer with a cigarette in my hand or a cup of coffee. The closest being 17 yards.

It's all about keeping your scent from reaching the deer, cause we all stink and there isn't anything that's gonna "trap" it or destroy it short of death...then we'll be doing another kind of stinkin'!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4