$1.50 Fix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FNARSCOT

$1.50 Fix

Post by FNARSCOT »

After shooting my 380 about 150 times .I had to quiet It down. I have read all the "they will be hit before they hear it " posts and I do not disagree I just like quiet and hate vibration. That said I like all the energy/speed I can get!! Why detune a race horse? I have heard the stirrup can be wrapped to quiet it down. I read tape works but hate the gooey mess that comes with time. I love shrink wrap and used it with great success on my arrow hold down tab. But the stirrup is a loop so slipping on shrink wrap was out. I cut some 2 pieces of 3/8 fuel line long enough to cover each side of the stirrup (leaving the front uncovered) then split the hose length wise so it would wrap around.. Split to the inside . One zip tie on each end and one in the middle.$1.50 in parts and 5 min . Out to shoot it took out quite a but of twang/vibration. More than I was expecting. Well worth the effort. Now I see a cap on the end of the rail. Hunting season is here so I won't even take it off. If the rail is hollow I plan on filling it with spray foam like we do with handle bars on the Motorcycles talk about removing vibration. I must resist the bow shoots great and it's hunting season. Then again I can bow hunt pigs year round :roll: NO!!! Need meat back away from the bow and drop the tools :lol: Besides If I take it apart enough to foam fill the rail I would change the trigger :D
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
DaveShooter

Re: $1.50 Fix

Post by DaveShooter »

FNARSCOT wrote:After shooting my 380 about 150 times .I had to quiet It down. I have read all the "they will be hit before they hear it " posts and I do not disagree I just like quiet and hate vibration. That said I like all the energy/speed I can get!! Why detune a race horse? I have heard the stirrup can be wrapped to quiet it down. I read tape works but hate the gooey mess that comes with time. I love shrink wrap and used it with great success on my arrow hold down tab. But the stirrup is a loop so slipping on shrink wrap was out. I cut some 2 pieces of 3/8 fuel line long enough to cover each side of the stirrup (leaving the front uncovered) then split the hose length wise so it would wrap around.. Split to the inside . One zip tie on each end and one in the middle.$1.50 in parts and 5 min . Out to shoot it took out quite a but of twang/vibration. More than I was expecting. Well worth the effort. Now I see a cap on the end of the rail. Hunting season is here so I won't even take it off. If the rail is hollow I plan on filling it with spray foam like we do with handle bars on the Motorcycles talk about removing vibration. I must resist the bow shoots great and it's hunting season. Then again I can bow hunt pigs year round :roll: NO!!! Need meat back away from the bow and drop the tools :lol: Besides If I take it apart enough to foam fill the rail I would change the trigger :D
Scott you are having way to much fun :lol:
westbrooks

Post by westbrooks »

I always went to the auto store and bought the liquid rubber that you dipped tools in to give them a rubber handle. It works great and the smell of the chemicals in it go away very quickly so you don't have that chemical smell while your hunting. Worked very well for vibration dampening. But what you did will work just as well. Good idea.
David W.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Allen cloth tape over 1/2" foam pipe insulation.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Thanks. :D
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

One of the biggest sources of vibration is the arrow retaining spring. A little shrink wrap will take care of that. I have a vortex that has a spray foam filled rail. I think it does help the vibration some but it also increases the weight and for some reason the riser screws always seem to have sticky foam reside on them (even after two years). You also have to watch that you don't get too close to the trigger as the foam will not improve its operation.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

That's why I'm waiting to foam fill .I want to up grade the trigger at the same time. I already put heat shrink on the arrow hold down. If you did yours 2 years ago and its working out thats what I was wanting to hear .Thanks
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

A few years ago I bought a Limb Saver bow grip wrap and wrapped it around the stirrup and it quieted my Axiom way down. It eventually came apart so maybe this year I'll try that rubber paint mentioned above :)
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

All my Limbsaver products kind of "melt" or get sticky with time . They are pricy so I have learned to use other stuff. I have a Remmington 700 with a factory Butt pad (made by Limbsaver) That is 10 years old that if fine.
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String