Target Recommendations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Target Recommendations

Post by learn2flyfish »

I need a target that will handle broad heads but won't break the bank. Would like to stay in the $50-$70 range if possible.

Thanks,

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
wheelie

Re: Target Recommendations

Post by wheelie »

learn2flyfish wrote:I need a target that will handle broad heads but won't break the bank. Would like to stay in the $50-$70 range if possible.

Thanks,

Paul
Buy a big bag of beach sand. :wink:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We use a Block for sighting-in. It handles broadheads, but to extend the life of the target we don't shoot broadheads more than we need to. It's been great for field points, arrows pull out fine and it works for the two of us.

Also, Reinhart makes great targets. We have their target ball which is a lot of fun to shoot up and it holds up great. We don't use it for broadheads tho.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

It's around $95 for a 18-1 rinehart which is the best.
If you can't swing it shoot into a dirt pile.
Gander Mt has free shipping,and search for online coupons for their store.

Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I got the Rinehart Rhino Block for the price of the 18-1 by using a Gander Mountain promo code online.

I cannot remember where I saw it, but there was a place selling Rineharts at a reduced price because of some small flaws, maybe someone here knows.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Lancaster Archery carries the blems,

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/rinehar ... 27289.html

FWIW with the 'oversize' shipping surcharge plus regular shipping costs though, the price wasn't much better than i found locally.
I went to buy the 18-1 but looking at them side by side I ended up with the rinoblock instead. Any target is gonna get sliced up with BH's, that's what they do, and I liked the idea of the replaceable insert, it feels like its made from a denser foam than the rest of the target and I thought it might hold up better to BH's, and when it gets cut up you can just replace the insert.

Last edited by Kegbelly on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

18-1 is the way to go for a broadhead target. Cheap out and you'll need to buy another one next season if you shoot BHs a lot. Got mine for $100 at BP, a little steep but I've owned too many commercially made targets to count and the 18-1 is the best. The homemade broadhead targets, (sand, dirt), are great for at home, but traveling with them is a chore.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I have a Block and would NOT recommend it. I've lost a couple broadheads in that thing when trying to pull them out! Sure, they stop the arrow, but are a real pain pulling them out, even with field points.

Buddy has the RhinoBlock and it's a different story. 'Stops BH's and they're easy to pull out. When I go to buy another target, it will be a RhinoBlock!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

The reason I picked the Rhinoblock over the 18-1 is because of the different target patterns it has, this one being my favorite for field points, though I know this does not help you since you were looking for something less expensive. Image.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Bullzeye wrote:The reason I picked the Rhinoblock over the 18-1 is because of the different target patterns it has, this one being my favorite for field points, though I know this does not help you since you were looking for something less expensive. Image.
How do the arrows come out
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

No issues at all using field points or broadheads . I read reviews where some people said arrows were hard to remove so I purchased some Scorpian Venom, but I have yet had the need to use it. You just need to give it a twist and then pull it out, gets even easier using a pair of Danny Miller pliars, and my mechanical broadheads come out super easy.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

This might be something to look into, and in your price range, I've never seen a Rinehart bag target before, must be new, might look into one myself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rinehart-Target ... 4d1357e461 .
Last edited by Bullzeye on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Bullzeye wrote:No issues at all using field points or broadheads . I read reviews where some people said arrows were hard to remove so I purchased some Scorpian Venom, but I have yet had the need to use it. You just need to give it a twist and then pull it out, gets even easier using a pair of Danny Miller pliars, and my mechanical broadheads come out super easy.
Thanks Ive been looking at them but wasnt sure about removal :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

The only time I've had a problem pulling arrows out it was hot and humid and my hands were real sweaty. Other than that, broadheads, field points, and my buddy's Rage practice tips come out easy enough with one hand. They get easier to remove the more it gets shot.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I've used several kinds for 'heads and make my own rag bag targets for field tips. Frankly, I don't practice with broadheads since switching to Slick Tricks. Shoot so much like my filed tipped arrow - from all three bows - that I see no point in doing it.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!