Metal Detector

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

Re: Metal Detector

Post by Deaf jeff »

members of my family have used them to find arrows with much success. not just broadheads but field points also after passing through hay bales(yes, back when hay/straw bales were used) and still using the detector these days with success
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Rogue_wave

Post by Rogue_wave »

Absolutely worth it! Have used a metal detector at an archery club I used to belong to. Went for a walk to find a couple of my arrows from previous shoots. Came back to the clubhouse with over 50 in a hour or two. It even found lost cedar arrows just by the metal tip. if there's metal on the arrow it will be found. Now granted I was looking in a high volume area, the club< but it does work. It worked so well the club bought one.

Cheers

R/W
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

I do metal detecting all the time and have taken one of my detectors to a club I use to go to. Not only did I find lots of arrows along with a few of my own but also found some jewellery and old coins. I found one bow release and a few other thing. A decent MD will find broad heads down to 5 inches under ground. I will say it depends on the type of soil as well. Lots of iron in your soil you might get down 2 to 3 inches.

Steve
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Well I went ahead and ordered a "hobby" MD (Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, for those in the know). It seems that there are basically 4 levels of MD's. Cheap toys for $60 or less (actual "street" pricing), "hobby" or recreational devices for under $200, more serious devices in the $200+ range, and serious professional devices for $1000 plus.

It seems like they are all good at detecting metal, but the more you pay helps you better distinguish treasure from trash, and perhaps can reduce your digging by pinpointing better.

It seems that most "recreational" users tend to recommmend models in the $250 range. I'll give the cheaper Quicksilver a try and if I like digging stuff out of the dirt (and if it helps me find my buried broadheads) then maybe I'll get a better unit (but I doubt it)......
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I've been detecting off and on for about 25 yrs, currently own a Fisher CZ3-D.

It's a good machine, but I wouldn't attempt to try and find a carbon arrow w/ it.

You will be amazed at the amounts of metal in the ground, all of which you'll have to investigate to find your bheads......no discrimination or you will null the bheads out.........

Have fun!
"Eze 18:21"
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Well it seems like I made the right move. It took me about 15 seconds to find the first Broadhead (unfortunately mangled), and about 3 minutes more to find the second, intact, arrow and Broadhead. Tomorrow I look for the other ones at my "other" hunting grounds......

Update: found em all. The detector has just about paid for itself (plus I have 3 old bullets, a rusty file, and two unidentifiable metal things).
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

Peacemaker wrote:Well it seems like I made the right move. It took me about 15 seconds to find the first Broadhead (unfortunately mangled), and about 3 minutes more to find the second, intact, arrow and Broadhead. Tomorrow I look for the other ones at my "other" hunting grounds......

Update: found em all. The detector has just about paid for itself (plus I have 3 old bullets, a rusty file, and two unidentifiable metal things).
's

that's the way to do it..good job
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
Waif

Post by Waif »

Have bought from Bart and he has been great to many others as well, call him for best price when you decide what to buy.. The AT-Pro is been selling well. I run 350's.
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

I have used my White's detector for many years to find cedar, alum, carbon, fiberglass, arrows arrows. Picks up field points and broadheads and alum and brass inserts.
Then have used it for coin shooting, and have found enough coins to buy several dozen arrows.

Bucktail
Matrix 355 Tact-Zone TriggerTech ADF Laser11 Pro 385gr 100 gr WaspBoss 18in Diablos 150gr Boltcutter Dan Miller R.E.D.S .

ExoMax Vari-zone S5 18in Laser11 18in 2219 100gr WaspBoss

Phoenix Shadow-Zone ADF S5 18in Laser11 100gr WaspBoss
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

A detector will work perfectly. A local club has one they use on their flat field 3D shoot and It works great....and it's i don't know how many years old. If it works for you to bring it in i say go for it.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I have the Garrett Ace Model 150.Paid $152 on Ebay free shipping also came with a free pair of stereo head phones which plug into the locator.Found my arrow I was looking for at the outdoor archery range.Also found 7-10 additional arrows that I couldn't use with my bow.I was only searching the 20 yard target lane.Got tired of digging up all the crap arrows.Haven't even checked the the other shooting lanes.Not very many crossbow shooters where I shoot.
Venango41

Post by Venango41 »

I have successfully used a metal detector to find my buried arrows. The carbon are really tough, because you must find the tips. The aluminum arrows I find perhaps 95% of the time.
Athena01

Post by Athena01 »

If you all need any information about this handheld metal detector,you need to come to Detectorall to have a look yourself.