Metal Detector

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peacemaker

Metal Detector

Post by Peacemaker »

OK, so 4 shots in the field, and 3 lost (expensive Rage) broadheads. One went down in tall grass and buried, and two were shot at deer on the edge of an open field, but the bolts went into super-thick brush with lots of dead wood and dead brush on the ground. I can't find em to save my life.

I don't know if lumenoks would have helped or not...they probably would....but I didn't have em. So there are $40 worth of broadheads and maybe another $15 worth of bolts (I know that one of them broke) that I can recover (maybe) right away if I can find them (bent/dull blades notwithstanding).

Has anybody used a metal detector to try to find bolts and broadheads? "Hobby" detectors seem to be available for around $100. They detect ferrous and non-ferrous metal, so that would include stainless and aluminum.

Thoughts?
Xbowkiller

Re: Metal Detector

Post by Xbowkiller »

Take the hundred dollars and buy more arrows and broadheads. Then perhaps try to get closer to where the deer are ussually. Miss that many it is obvious they were not shots most would take.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Not that it should matter, but 2 of them were direct fatal pass-throughs. :D One was a deflection off of a branch. One was a funky shot where I think the bolt was not all the way back on the string....it just went funky.

So, to rephrase my question, has anyone successfully used metal detectors to find missing broadheads?
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Yes, i have a fischer F2 i bought from E bay the metal detector store.It's also a fun hobby looking for stuff.I'm never bored with all the hobbies i have.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

It's doubtful that you'll be able to recover your arrows. The only ones I ever find are the ones that have gone through a deer and that's barely more than 50% of the time. I'd put the money towards more arrows.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Peacemaker wrote: I don't know if lumenoks would have helped or not...they probably would....but I didn't have em. So there are $40 worth of broadheads and maybe another $15 worth of bolts (I know that one of them broke) that I can recover (maybe) right away if I can find them (bent/dull blades notwithstanding).
Thoughts?

Probably not. It doesn't matter how bright the nock is if the arrow is buried.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
strum

Post by strum »

i tried with a M detector in a little field once ..no luck ..but I can see where it may work.. to me it was worth a try..but no I borrowed it ..I didn't go out and buy it..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
rayman

Post by rayman »

Haven't tried in a long time. Years ago when I went to vertical bow 3D shoots, someone always had one around to look for missed shots. Unless something has changed, I shot XX75s then and the metal detector would pick them up ok. Carbon arrows would not be detected except for the field point, making them tough to find. Never tried to detect carbon arrows with broadheads.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

yeah seems like it is worth a shot (pun intended). Besides, I have plenty of other opportunities to use one...

But yes, I have already bought extra bolts and broadheads, since I am expecting a productive crossbow season.
Fishous

Post by Fishous »

I've done it before. A field tip would probably be easier to find, but if you turn off the discrimination on the detector it should be able to find them. Mine can find an aluminum pull-tab 6 inches deep, so the inserts and broadhead should pick up fine.

I just hope your area doesn't have as many .22 casings as my target area has. :lol:
Mike
Excalibur Matrix 355
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I remember someone (PydPiper perhaps) posting about using a blacklight in the dark? I might have that wrong, but it was something about how the vanes would glow.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Yes I think you or someone else had directed me to that blacklight thread. Very interesting. The only problem is that the blacklight will only work if the vanes are visible or at least above ground, and at least two of my bolts are buried completely (at least I think so). The other bolt broke in half after passing through the "target;" I found the back half....but I can't find the front half with the broadhead......
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have used metal detector with good success .
Tom

Post by Tom »

I was using 2117 arrows with hunting heads and a borrowed (cheaper older) unit found the 2 arrows I was looking for faster then it took me to walk into the area. One arrow was completely buried and the other was almost with only the end out of the ground, feathers buried.

A quality head should show up on any detector, even if buried.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

The $100 will be worth it. And if you were to get a better detector, you just might find another hobby that you love and one that keeps you outdoors! ;)
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4