Whitetails and Turkey with our Excalibur Matrix 380's !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Whitetails and Turkey with our Excalibur Matrix 380's !

Post by R.J. »

Hello everyone > Looks like you are having a fun season to date > Congrat’s to all > Keep the stories and pictures coming !

Here are some pictures off misc camera’s from end of September till now . ( Sorry in advance for some of the blurry images , some were off my Pentax and others ranged from pocket camera , phone camera , trail camera )

Sept 2013 ... Wylie H. Drops by to confirm his bow sight in ... Still shooting as accurately as ever .

Farmers cut hay fields and tend to the occasional breakdown. My barn cats lounge on the lawn tractor seats during the day and prowl at night .

Caught up on chores , Pool closed for the year and I look out over the corn towards my South/East stand .

Here is a view from the stand back towards to house … This stand usually see’s lots of deer traffic , but action is slow so far .

Here is a picture of a doe directly under that stand back when I first used that location as climber stand spot .

Last grass cut of the season … Only leaf pick-up later … I bush hog new trails at the back of the property and tend to stands ( trimming / adjusting etc ) .Chris H. helps out with stand adjustments … Randy and his boys help as well , and we bush hog travel paths and shooting lanes at pinch points around other stands .

In and out from Knee Surgery Sept 16th ... Everything went well and I'm getting around better day by day ... Can only hunt ground blinds 1st week of the season , because tree climbing just isn't working for me right now .

Last week of Sept I got a magazine from the USA " Better Beagleing "... They featured a two paged article about " Jack Rabbit hunting in Ontario " with my pictures and stories ... Kinda cool for the scrap
book !

I scout out new spots for the Ontario Fall Turkey hunt ( which opens Oct 15th - 27th ) ... Man check out the beards on this crew !

My daughter is home from the Yukon ( some of you may remember the Yukon trip thread in the OT section ) ,
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... on#p463546 > but not home for long ... She and two of her girlfriends head out for a cross Canada road trip / camping adventure ... Visiting friends and relatives along the way , before she starts a new Fish/Wildlife course returning to College in Jan .

Oct 1st ( opening week ) ~ Wylie H /Randy S / Rob S / Joe S / David L / Chris H and myself set up in different locations thru the week > David L and I even tried a canoe trip ( weather is way too hot and moon phase isn’t good either ) = poor deer movement in our area .We all saw deer at one point or another but none close enough or cooperative enough to get an arrow thru . I set up a few ground blinds including this one overlooking a small patch of clover the farmer left on for me . Sounded good at the time , but later while on stand the bailer came by and then after that they spread manure , so I let that place settle for awhile .

Randy see’s a buck ( still completely “in velvet “ ) . It walked under a stand at the South / West back corner of my property on the 2nd day of the season .( I can’t remember a previous year where I’ve seen a buck in our area still in velvet ? ) ( And we are seeing large spotted fawns > strange season so far ) .

Into the 2nd week of the season some bucks start to show up on Chris Trail Cameras > This young buck during the daylight hours .

Young Jacob G , another happy Excalibur owner from our neighborhood scored a doe opening week … His 1st with his Excalibur Matrix 380 while he was still hunting some standing corn . Walking the edge of a corn field along a pond near his home . Doe stood up off her bed and was taken at 15 yards quartering away > Black Eagle Executioner with a 125 grain Slick Trick Mag on board .
Approx 30 yard recovery distance …

At another one of my favorite properties , Randy hikes in with a pruning pole to trim and hunt at one stand that we hadn’t been in for awhile . Later into 2nd week , a view from that stand shows ideal openings and where some spotted fawns came into the field ( Early out approx 5:15pm )

By 2nd week , I’m able to climb short stable ladders > There is one at the back South / West corner of my property with a corn cut shooting lane .We all see deer here and there > the warm weather keeps up but the moon phase gets better . And of course there are other visitor’s while you are on stand like this cottontail rabbit and the nightly geese flight

We continue to see a few deer here and there > I miss an opportunity on a nice 8 point buck at one sitting , but Chris H. and I connect on doe’s this week past . Mine was a 22 yard shot from a ground blind overlooking a clover field , Mature doe’s have been showing up approx 6:45pm . ( Excalibur Matrix 380 > Boo Custom String > Camo Munch Mount ) Excalibur's Diablo illuminated Carbon arrow with a 150 grain Excalibur Boltcutter broadhead onboard > ( Lucky for me she bolted after the shot into the bush but back towards a cut trial , total run was approx 80 yards but only approx 15 yards from the trail ) . The shot looked solid , but she ran hard , so I waited till after dark to track > easily found my arrow with the lighted Luminock .

Chris H arrowed this doe at 21 yards from a tree stand position ( Excalibur Matrix 380 Blackout > Boo Custom String ) Again Excalibur Diablo carbon with 150 grain Excalibur Boltcutter broadhead > 30 yard recovery distance .

October 15th > I wasn’t feeling well enough to hunt , so Wylie H. hunted the morning on his own at my place ( slow morning , no action ) > We met for breakfast to catch up and by lunch time I was mobile enough to get out ( day was off and on sun / cloud ) Good thing I went out > with my 2013 Ontario Fall Turkey tag in hand I was lucky enough to fill it today !
I switched my quiver over to some 18” Diablo’s with 130 Grain Wasp Broadhead’s ( no Luminock’s on these arrows ) and headed out to an area I scouted earlier .I busted some birds on the way in > So I set up at a funnel area did some loud locate yelps and clucks … I had two hens and a Jake reunite thru the funnel approx ½ hr later , and I was going to arrow the Jake , when I see a long beard approx 50 yards back .I whistled an arrow thru him at 15 yards and he somersaulted / flew into the pines > Turns out he was a beauty double bearded Tom ! Culled with my Excalibur Matrix 380 as he came back looking for the group .

On a side note > I thought I would type , what I feel is a helpful "Rule of Thumb" guideline for Whitetail behavior during Oct/Nov/Dec for Southern Ontario Whitetail .

Oct week 1 and 2
Feeding : Alfalfa , Soybeans , apples .
Bedding : Small upland deciduous forests .
Rutting: Boundary scrapes and rubs

Oct week 3 and 4
Feeding : Standing corn , corn and bean stubble.
Bedding : Larger deciduous forests , standing corn .
Rutting : Secondary scrapes and rub lines .

Oct end week into Nov beginning weeks ...Feeding: Does and fawns ~bean and corn stubble ... Bucks very little
feeding leading into the rut peak ( est peak rut 1st week of Nov ).
Bedding: Larger deciduous forests and valleys .
Rutting : Breeding scrapes .

Nov week 2 into weeks 3 and 4 .
Feeding : Corn and Bean stubble.
Bedding : deciduous and coniferous forest valleys .
Rutting : Secondary scrapes and rub lines .

Nov end week into Dec begging weeks ...Feeding : Does and fawns ~ corn and bean stubble ~ Bucks very little
feeding leading into the 2nd rut .
Bedding : deciduous and coniferous forest valleys .
Rutting : secondary breeding scrapes ~2nd rut ( yearlings and doe fawns )

Dec 2nd week till Dec end week .
Feeding: corn and bean stubble as well as browse .
Bedding : coniferous forest valleys .
Rutting: Secondary scrapes and rub lines in coniferous forest ..

Watch for 3rd rut peak signs ( late dropped doe fawns )

Note : Date/week/timing is approximate and will vary according to your area and area land make-up ( swamps etc ) ... Also moon phase and
weather fluxuations / seasonal advances from year to year .

Myself , I take note of what I think is peak rut in my area ( seeing
rut drunk bucks out mid-day etc. ) ... Mark the calendar and count
approx 28 days ahead for the 2nd rut and approx same for 3rd rut .

Bottom line ... Believe 50% of what you read and 110% of what you
actually see and experience when you are out in the field !

Also moon phase charts for Oct / Nov / Dec is good tool to have .

And deer vital diagram is a good reference as well .

Here are some pictures of what I saw in the field this week ( between Innerkip Ontario and Arthur Ontario )

My truck picks up some wheel dressing as we drive from farm to farm.

Always looking for fresh tracks from mature doe’s and bucks .

Good bean stubble with lots of missed pods .

Good supply of apples this year …

Lots of deer trails through the cover …

And fresh boundary scrapes …

As the season progresses > We will keep scouting and looking for the next Outdoor Adventure !

Going to take a break from hunting this week ( I have a cold coming on ) and I’m schedule in on Nightshift this week … So it’s Extra Strength Tylenol Cold pills and back to work !

Good luck ... Have fun in the field and take lots of pictures !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
slider

Re: Whitetails and Turkey with our Excalibur Matrix 380's !

Post by slider »

Thanks RJ!! Superb post once again >>>I always look forward to your photo/story adventures. Seems like your gang loves Yota trucks...great means of transportation!

Congrats on the gobbler...nice tag fill.
2008 Phoenix
Illuminated FireBolts
100 g spitfires
Varizone
Flemish String

Always try your best!
kamont

Post by kamont »

Great pics and story :)
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Allway's look forward to you posting your hunts RJ good to see your surgery worked out for you and CONGRATS on your harvests.
The best things in life are not things!!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great story and pics! Congrats on the turkey and deer!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
leonk

Post by leonk »

I hope the knee is doing well.
Good report as always.

Leon
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great pictures & story!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting!
wabi
roly

Post by roly »

Always a good read.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D great pics!!!! congrats!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Rj- I deeply enjoyed your pictures and stories-Congrats to you on hunting bunnies in the magazine publication :D
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ... Strange > I cropped a couple pictures to enlarge but when I uploaded to Photobucket they actually show smaller than normal ? Weird ...

The Moon Phase is good right now in our area and it's getting colder > I saw a monster buck cross the road on my way in to work tonight near my place > I called my neighbor to get permission > Will set up on him for a PM hunt today > He is probably in another county right now , but can't get em without trying > Hope I get lucky !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Anybody have any issue with Photobucket lately !

Again difficult to get links / slow response / slow upload and odd picture sizes ?

Maybe its my rural internet connection or older PC ?
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great picture story thanks for posting and congrats to the lucky hunters.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Cool pics and get well!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Thank you for an entertaining and educational post. You sure live in a beautiful area! I'm jealous.