More penetration test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

More penetration test

Post by Masboy »

My son has not been happy after our penetration test with his 2 blade crossbow rage that done poorly compared to other broadheads we tested . he is shooting 29 inch maxima hunters from his 70lb switchback an gets about the same penetration as my vixen with the same weight arrows. they weigh around 400gr with 100 gr tips

I told him to try some heavier arrows an see how they do because it works in my vixen so he had some big fat 2413 super lites that he had bought cheap laying around so I put blazers on them an a 125 tip an weigh around 500gr an I said don,t expect much from them fat things compared to the maxima hunters but we gave them a try .

Could not believe he got 9 inches of penetration at 30yds in my compressed carpet an that was compared to 7 inches with the maxima hunters . then he shot at 50ys an got 7 inches of penetration with the fat arrows an those fat arrows surprised me.
so now I got him talked into getting some 125 Magnus stingers an he will be happy after seeing how the Magnus penetrate an digging them out of the dirt after shooting a deer :lol:
Masboy

Re: More penetration test

Post by Masboy »

I don,t seem to gain much penetration in my crossbows with an arrow weighing over 450 gr but just get more drop. but most of my testing was done with lower poundage bows. the equinox might be totally different? I really don,t know hank but will give it a try soon. good luck Hank!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I don,t know about a knockdown :lol: but should be sticking in something on the other side of him :lol: good luck Hank!
Three Bears

Post by Three Bears »

Hmmmm. I wondered about penetration with my Equinox(Nov 2012). I made up some 2219, blazer fletch, used broadhead that came with the set and lighted nock = Weight ? Did not have a opportunity to shoot last season. Last week while hog hunting I downed a boar from 25yds, tree stand(Tree Lounge) and the arrow went thru the boar cuting ribs on each side both lungs and nicked the heart - stuck in the ground about 10" and could not pull it out - the broadhead was in a root so I unscrewded the shaft and used another head from the set...Using same arrow yesterday evening I shot a large doe at 27yds the arrow cut ribs and a shoulder blade and both lungs and stuck in the dirt half the length - she went down about 60 yds away....Will used same arrow again...Yep - it has passed my field tested penetration - do not know weitght of arrow? Good luck...
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I've always liked a heavier arrow in a bow or crossbow myself. But if you go to heavy you might just need a back hoe to dig your arrow out from behind the moose or the deer you shoot :lol: