Got a little careless..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Got a little careless..

Post by Cossack »

last night. Wind wasn't exactly right for the stand I wanted to hunt but I went out just to watch, as the freezer is full. Old doe came out as if on cue, caught the quartering wind - even though I was 14 feet up - and let me know she knew I was there. Stayed until dark hoping for coyote to come trotting by without luck. Great sit nevertheless.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Re: Got a little careless..

Post by wabi »

Sometimes I think those old does are tougher to fool than most bucks.
Years of watching out for the little ones really educates them!
wabi
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wabi wrote:Sometimes I think those old does are tougher to fool than most bucks.
Years of watching out for the little ones really educates them!
I agree 100%! If a buck makes up his mind he's going some place, he GOES! Old does are always over cautious.
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Definitely agree with you there. Old does are tough to fool. Got busted by the same doe twice in 1 day....2 different stands. Only reason I know it was the same one is that she's got this really wide white mark on her neck. Been around about 3 years now. I'd love to get her, but have my doubts that's going to happen. Lol!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

She blew twice and moved off; would have been a chip shot with a gun but out of range with CB. She stayed there until until her fawn joined her, then moved off downwind. I respect her and have no intention of killing her because she's a worthy challenge. She made me previously - before I moved the stand - when I had trimmed too much. She SAW me as something out of norm. Live and learn, and shes there to teach me.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Cossack wrote:She blew twice and moved off; would have been a chip shot with a gun but out of range with CB. She stayed there until until her fawn joined her, then moved off downwind. I respect her and have no intention of killing her because she's a worthy challenge. She made me previously - before I moved the stand - when I had trimmed too much. She SAW me as something out of norm. Live and learn, and shes there to teach me.
The old doe is there to teach YOU. Lots of wisdom there folks. That is one to absorb. Thanks. :)