Montec G5

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gtonini

Montec G5

Post by gtonini »

Which is the correct montec broadhead that everyone shoots I see the have a few some you sharpen some have replaceable blades which is the right one? I'm
looking for 100grain for my 355
Rev X
Boo String
Rev X arrows
Swacker 150 grain
3x9 leuopold scope
Boo

Re: Montec G5

Post by Boo »

With the low FOC you're set up with I would go 125gr. The carbon version of the Montec (CS) is supposed to be easier to sharpen and keeps it's edge longer. If you are going Montec then get the Preseason for practice.
Along with Montecs I have 100 gr Strikers, 125 gr Strikers and 125 gr Striker Magnums. They all fly really well but the 100 gr Strikers seem to have the closest POI of the field points if that matters to you. I was shooting the Magnum yesterday and at 50 yards I can keep them well inside a 2" circle out of my 380. All Strikers are scary sharp!!!! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:With the low FOC you're set up with I would go 125gr. The carbon version of the Montec (CS) is supposed to be easier to sharpen and keeps it's edge longer. If you are going Montec then get the Preseason for practice.
Along with Montecs I have 100 gr Strikers, 125 gr Strikers and 125 gr Striker Magnums. They all fly really well but the 100 gr Strikers seem to have the closest POI of the field points if that matters to you. I was shooting the Magnum yesterday and at 50 yards I can keep them well inside a 2" circle out of my 380. All Strikers are scary sharp!!!! :shock:
Don, do they make the CS in anything heavier than 100 gr. ? I havent seen 'em. And the Montecs are not easy to sharpen. Been workin on some.
massbow

Post by massbow »

Im shooting the 125 gr strikers out of my 355 they fly great!
Team 355
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

We really like the 125 montecs. Very Sharp and solid made. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Boo

Post by Boo »

As far as I know the CS only comes in 100 gr.
I start with a black diamond bench stone and push point forward. After a few strokes they shave. Then I go threaded end forward on a paddle with leather coated with a green abrasive. I can't sharpen them with the method they suggest.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

i love my montec cs and yes they are only available in 100 grain. if you get them then i would highly suggest you also purchase these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360465035092?lpid=82
because it will make the transition between the arrow insert and the base of the broadhead a lot less noticeable. im sure you can buy them somewhere cheaper but this website had a good picture.
good luck
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

I use the g5 montecs 125 grains. Like said before they can be a pain to sharpen. I do like how they fly and group nicely. I do have the slick tricks in 125 grain but the cutting width is smaller.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I used the Montec CS on a buffalo last year. It performed great. But I do have trouble getting them really sharp with their stone/method. I just looked at the website and they now offer a "crossbow version" of the Montec, but I can't find any info on it. Does anyone know what is different?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

tradshooter wrote:I use the g5 montecs 125 grains. Like said before they can be a pain to sharpen. I do like how they fly and group nicely. I do have the slick tricks in 125 grain but the cutting width is smaller.
If you have the "Standard 1 inch" Slick Trick in 125gr, you can use the "magnum" blades to get to 1-1/8" cut. Not sure if it increases the wt a bit or not, though now that I'm thinking of it. Doesn't affect flight.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><