faulty cocking aid

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Re: faulty cocking aid

Post by strum »

schrona1 wrote:
Dereck wrote:In the video he says Excalibur told him he was cocking it wrong. So it sounds like he did talk to them prior to making the video.
Of course I contacted them first, this is why I put the video up, so they could tell me what I was doing wrong?
it would help if you posted a pic of the roller you are speaking of..
if im understanding you correctly ..your roller is misaligned or sticking out in a way that's doing this...why not try putting a piece of blue tape over the scratch and see if when you cock it again it scratches the blue tape?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Deerstalker wrote:I can not understand how the rollers can contact the rail on your Equinox. I have the same crossbow and my rope comes down the side of the rail and through the rollers and out to the handles on each side with the hooks over the top of the string. When I cock the CB the rollers on each side are 1/4" away from the rail again on each side. There is NO WAY that the rollers can come in contact with the rail. What is the exact method that you are using to cock your CB and where do you see the contact???
the exact method is shown on my video on youtube..
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

maine hunter wrote:
Dereck wrote:It's not hard to have the rope cocker drop in behind safety with out noticing and that would result in a scratch.
x2, i have done it a few times, it's a easy thing to do.
I have tried that for my own reassurance but the string won't even latch in the trigger mechanism so I know I would have caught that?
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

strum wrote:I spent a little time this evening before I went out trying to recreate the issue..
its not possible unless you hook it in a manner that the handle is in between the rail and hook..then when you pull it the hook will make this scratch..
I think Peter is right on with his call..
how and why would you hook it so that the handle is in between the rail and the hook??
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

strum wrote:I spent a little time this evening before I went out trying to recreate the issue..
its not possible unless you hook it in a manner that the handle is in between the rail and hook..then when you pull it the hook will make this scratch..
how and why would you hook it in such a manner that the handle is between the rail and the hook??
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Simple is better, simple minded, simply trying to figure out why siderail on my thousand dollar crossbow is gouged; yes indeed. I tried to use it incorrectly by looping it around the scope mount, guess what, wouldn't even latch into the trigger assembly. I think a guy might notice that one eh? A no- brainer hey Peter, well that might be asking somebody to ship their cocking aid my way,that is what I would do if in your shoes; just saying...
strum

Post by strum »

schrona1 wrote:
how and why would you hook it so that the handle is in between the rail and the hook??
I di it just to try and recreate the scratch.. its defiantly the wrong way to do it..
im just wondering..did you talk to peter ? ..and did you ask for a new rope cocker?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I went & watched yer video of cocking aid. You attached hook openin down. I hook mine wid hook openin up, try that n see if'en it works better fer you
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Fishous

Post by Fishous »

I took a close look at mine and determined that the only way for the hook assembly to touch the rail is for the rope to be out of the slot on the rear. Period.

You might have started with it in the slot, but it probably slipped out one time and ended up behind the safety. This could be done without noticing since it would still end up cocked.
Mike
Excalibur Matrix 355
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

A no- brainer hey Peter, well that might be asking somebody to ship their cocking aid my way,that is what I would do if in your shoes; just saying...
We have sold hundreds of thousands of our rope cocking aid and I have never seen one cause the problem you described except when used incorrectly. However, I guess there is a first time for everything. Send me your rope cocking aid and I will let you know if its faulty. If it is indeed faulty I will let everybody know and replace your cocking aid free of charge.

Peter
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

This is what my cocking aid looks like in the un-cocked position on my Equinox. Can you provide a similar picture for your CB?
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Fishous wrote:I took a close look at mine and determined that the only way for the hook assembly to touch the rail is for the rope to be out of the slot on the rear. Period.

You might have started with it in the slot, but it probably slipped out one time and ended up behind the safety. This could be done without noticing since it would still end up cocked.
As mentioned in a previous post, I did this purposely and my string wouldn't engage in the trigger assembly; If it did your point would certainly be a possibility..
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

East to see what happened.
The only possible way to get the rope cocker to touch the rail, as illustrated in your pictures is to have the rope over the safety. It happens a lot, it happens fast and it will cause the issue you described.
It is physically impossible for the rope cocker to touch the rail if it is in the groove.
Either you, or someone else has let that rope drop over.
When Excalibur gets your rope, and determines that the hooks and bearings are exactly to spec, you will see that this is what happened.
When you got your marks, this is what your rope looked like, without doubt. A half inch shift. Been there, many times.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Pydpiper wrote:East to see what happened.
The only possible way to get the rope cocker to touch the rail, as illustrated in your pictures is to have the rope over the safety. It happens a lot, it happens fast and it will cause the issue you described.
It is physically impossible for the rope cocker to touch the rail if it is in the groove.
Either you, or someone else has let that rope drop over.
When Excalibur gets your rope, and determines that the hooks and bearings are exactly to spec, you will see that this is what happened.
When you got your marks, this is what your rope looked like, without doubt. A half inch shift. Been there, many times.

So this caused a gouge on your bow, if this is the case, then my question has been answered. Some newbie must have done this before I got it and somehow I missed it, as it was already assembled and on display. Thank you everyone on the forum<especially Peter, much appreciated..
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:
A no- brainer hey Peter, well that might be asking somebody to ship their cocking aid my way,that is what I would do if in your shoes; just saying...
We have sold hundreds of thousands of our rope cocking aid and I have never seen one cause the problem you described except when used incorrectly. However, I guess there is a first time for everything. Send me your rope cocking aid and I will let you know if its faulty. If it is indeed faulty I will let everybody know and replace your cocking aid free of charge.

Peter
I will send you the aid, as I am too sceptical to use it now anyway, if it was cocked incorrectly before I bought it and somehow missed it, I apologize for my wasting everybody's time, it was on display and somebody may have cocked it wrong; If you find it to be in specification let me know, either way I look forward to hearing from you, and will delete my youtube video in the meantime. My only intent was to figure out what I was doing wrong, it is possible I wasn't doing anything wrong I may have missed previous damage somehow. Thanks again for everyone's time and effort, MUCH APPRECIATED!!