Newbie hunter ? Regarding tree stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Newbie hunter ? Regarding tree stands

Post by taz3 »

I picked up a a two man ladder style tree stand and they recommend not leaving it up for more then 2 weeks at a time because a tree can grow enough to place stress on the straps. The unit is not something I care to put up and down and I have permission to leave it on the property I hunt, so I figure if I back the straps off a bit when I'm not using it, it should be ok.

What are you thoughts and opinions?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Kegbelly

Re: Newbie hunter ? Regarding tree stands

Post by Kegbelly »

I've got two 2-mans that I put up every year in late September and leave in place until after the season ends Jan 31--about 4 months altogether, never had a problem with straps pulling tighter, and that's attached to fast-growing pines planted for pulp wood. I have a real hard time believing the average tree grows that fast. I'm guessing the lawyers wrote those instructions.
I'd be real leary about loosening the straps every time... you'd be climbing a loosely attached and unsafe stand every time you go up or down the ladder since the straps attach at the top, and IMO that would be even more unsafe that leaving the straps alone.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

mines been up since July and i have not decided if i will take it down or just slack off the straps, but i'm leaning towards just slacking off the straps or just replacing them next year
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I've had one ladder stand up for about 8 years.Another in a tree for about 3 now.They seem fine.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I figured it was a legal disclaimer, but thought I'd ask here, knowing there would be real world answers. I am glad I read the instructions though, I did find the harnesses were brand new, but had a 5 years old date on them. I contacted the store and they said bring them back and they'll give me up to date ones with no questions.

Thanks folks, it's good to know what other do and how your equipment stands up.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

If you leave it up year round I'd replace the straps periodically, they will eventually get rotten and weak with exposure to the elements, UV rays, etc. It's cheap insurance.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've got some that's been up for I don't know how many yrs, at the end of the season I loosen the straps, but still have enough tension to keep it standing.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

Or you could have someone come along and steal the straps off the treestand and not have to worry about loosening or tightening them. :evil:
This happened to me on private property :evil:
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
strum

Post by strum »

Kegbelly wrote:If you leave it up year round I'd replace the straps periodically, they will eventually get rotten and weak with exposure to the elements, UV rays, etc. It's cheap insurance.
the trees don't grow too much in the winter. but as already said those straps can rot.
I put my wife in a ladder stand we have had on the same tree for a few years..she climbed up and as I was walking away she called me back saying it didn't feel good. so I climbed up with her a little irritated. reached around the tree and cranked on the ratchet.. well it broke :shock:
scared the tar out of me and her.. the way hill was it would have been a long fall. I held the tree and stand while she got down( amazing how fast she can move when scared) then I got down ..went to my truck and got a couple of good straps but she was so shook she would not get back in it..
lesson learned? replace those straps every year
Last edited by strum on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
strum

Post by strum »

Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Not to preach but you can't be too careful when climbing, I got better ways to spend my time than dangling from my harness. :shock:
Matrix 380
Exomag
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D :lol: i like my 2 man stand, enough room to get comfy, the 1 man are good but at 6'4'' 260lb not much wiggle room. about every 2 years i put new rachet straps on it to be on the safe side.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

maine hunter wrote::D :lol: i like my 2 man stand, enough room to get comfy, the 1 man are good but at 6'4'' 260lb not much wiggle room. about every 2 years i put new rachet straps on it to be on the safe side.
I'm not a big guy, but everyone has said to invest in a 2 seater if its not going to be for traveling with.

And preaching safety isn't a bad thing, I've seen my share of serious preventable injuries. I figure I don't bounce like I did as a kid so I don't mind be safer rather then sorry. More then likely the stand will be up for the duration of deer season and I'll take it down at the end. I'll be sure to inspect the ratchet straps, to safe too.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

As others have done, I put mine up in October and take it down in January. I can put it in my shed for the summer without disassembling the perch.

Now, someone else posted something that makes me want to ask a question. Of course safety and common sense presumably requires that you use the safety harness.

So, my question is, how many of you use the safety harness with a ladder stand? What about with a climber stand?

Be honest.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

It's a hassle sometimes, but I use a harness even in ladders. Mine are 12 foot to the platform, plenty high enough to break something when you hit the ground. The ground's a lot harder than it used to be, and I'm not. :lol:
Absolutely in a climbing stand. It's even state law here if you're above 12' you have to use a harness. I might be the oddball here but I'm a firm believer in coming home alive. :D
Last edited by Kegbelly on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380
Exomag