AM or PM?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

Re: AM or PM?

Post by Shotnbeer »

i've always had better luck evenings, but i've got some good ones mid day. normal gun season. sit all day
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

I have seen many more deer in the AM and definitely harvested more in the morning :!:
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Mostly PM because of work.I am concerned about potential issues with recovery after dark though.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I used to like PM hunting more. I really liked the last 30 minutes of shooting light. The big boys always seemed to be moving more at that time. Over the years I've come to enjoy the AM hunt more. I hate dragging one out in the dark. Especially if it doesn't have horns. I've left some overnight only to find part of a deer in the morning. Though I have taken a handful of bucks right before dark, the majority of the bigger bucks I have taken have been early morning. Since 2009 I've taken two 8-points, a 9-point and two 10-points all before 7:48am during the rut.

Though I have a preference, PM is all I get during the week due to work so PM is what I hunt. I only get AM on weekends and holidays.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I hunt both but I've killed most of my big bucks in the mornings it seems I see a lot more smaller bucks a nd does in the evenings. The only thing I don't loke about evening hunting is tracking the deer at night its a little harder to find them
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

hankenhunter wrote:After 25 years of getting up at 4 am, I've reverted to the dark side. If I sit in the morning and things are slow I tend to zzzzzzzzzzz. Lord only knows how many walked by. :lol: If I shoot one late in the evening, I use my dog Scout to find it. It's slow going as Scout has to lick up all the blood before he will continue looking. :roll:
I think he is part vampire. :lol:
Hank
I am with ya on this one HH-Too many 4:00 am wake up calls for work. Rather hunt in the Pm-But have shot deer early morn too :D
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i hunt mostly afternoons i will work till noon then the rest of the day is mine. killed almost all my deer this way i hunt some morn in the rut. my son hunts hard on morning hunts he does good
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I like to hunt evenings now a days. Sleeping in is a big part of my day after retiring
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I like hunting both morning and evening but I've always had better luck in the evening. Nothin' better than being out in the woods as the sun's coming up and listening to the woods come alive. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
roly

Post by roly »

I like both, the property we hunt is a pass through bush, so we see most deer in the am on their way back to their beds.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I wish I would have done a pole on this - looks pretty evenly split. I can say the only additional thing I prefer about morning hunt is having lot of light for the tracking. but I must say tracking at night is fun...when you find your quarry... :D
toytruck

Post by toytruck »

I prefer evenings, but will get out before daylight depending on where I hunt an deer movement. Missed a big doe earlier in the season, operator fault... :roll:

I've had small does an yearlings within 25- 15yds, I like watching them too, but not in a hurry as muzzleloading comes in next Saturday. Let them try to jump that 480 lead conical!! 8)

Not seeing acorns in the Valley either, hickory nuts are plentiful, so some squirrels. We had a freeze last night so hope this gets them moving this evening!!
Life may change us, but we begin and end with family.
White's and TC Renegade
2010 Ibex
rayman

Post by rayman »

Seems like some years you see more deer in the mornings and some years more in the afternoons. Some stands seem to be better either early or late too. I used to would sit until at least 12:00 and killed a lot of deer around 11:30, especially bucks. Doesn't mean that much anymore. If I had to pick one or the other, I would go with mornings. That way you would have all afternoon to watch football, drink beer, and cook something on the grill. :)
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I prefer the afternoon. It's generally a little warmer. But I hate tracking after dark. Over the years, all my big bucks have been shot before noon. This year, I'll be spending a lot of time hunting mid day because I have to be at home for my daughter to catch the bus and get off the bus. This may prove huge in the upcoming weeks as the Rut kicks in!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Personally, I leave right before it gets light, slow, quiet walk into my stand. I have always had the upper hand because of the surprise factor, they just don't seem to expect anybody walking around their house at this time.. Think of it like somebody coming into your home, what time would you least expect a visitor? Deer are the same way; They know if they hear something or smell something that is not right, guard goes up, your chances go down; Just my 2 cents...