Bucks are moving!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lake shooter

Bucks are moving!!!!!

Post by Lake shooter »

Went out to the lake today to work. While there I went to check my camera which was aimed at a nice scrape, about 40' away. Same one I posted about before. The last time I Changed cards was the 20th and I'd hung a scrape dripper there the day before. Today is the 25th. There were 14 events, so I changed out cards, did my work and headed home for supper and to upload the videos. One was a coyote, one had three turkeys, one a doe and ALL of the rest were bucks of varying ages and antler size!!!!!!! Two were really nice deer that I'd be tempted to shoot, but not monsters. There were at least 6 different bucks in the bunch, and I got many of them rub/urinating under the scrape dripper! :D

The really cool part is that since I hung the scrape dripper the place has come alive with bucks coming in at all hours of the day and night. Before the dripper I only got 3 videos, two of the one nice buck in 5-6 days time. The tuff part (but it's a good problem to have) is that I have videos just before dawn, just after dawn, 11:00 AM, early afternoon, late afternoon, just after dark and all through the night and early morning hours. Getting in and out without spooking something is gonna be touch and go come November first when my permit starts!

You can rest assured that I will be sneaking in as quietly as possible with my Summit on my back and a cocked and loaded 380, glassing as I go if the time of day permits!!!!

Videos to come, I gotta get them to photobucket first . :wink:
Last edited by Lake shooter on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
onebigskittle

Re: Bucks are moving!!!!!

Post by onebigskittle »

maybe its time for me to put my dripper out because since the 1st of October I have not seen anything in day light ...only at night in my front yard and all around the hood
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

You know it! I gotta tell ya, with as much action as this one spot is getting, two more weeks and it might be unreal!!! :shock: I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch though, the big ones are still nocturnal at this scrape. But, come another couple of weeks when things get crazy all bets are off, and there are way bigger bucks around than these two! :D

Here are two video links that you can hopefully open:

http://s472.photobucket.com/user/sample ... 8.mp4.html

http://s472.photobucket.com/user/sample ... 5.mp4.html
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

You folks please let me know if you can view these links or not. If not I'll try something else.

Thanks,
Dave
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

Link worked for me!

What brand of attractant is dripping as it obviously works?

Thanks for sharing
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Wildlife Research Active Scrape in the dripper with a dose of Code Blue Grave Digger in the scrape itself. Most, of the larger bucks on the videos have peed over their hocks while there, but if not for the camera I'd have no idea of how busy this place has become! :shock: One of the younger bucks stood up on his hind legs to smell the thing closer!

To look at the scrape itself there doesn't look to be anything out of the ordinary, activity wise. I was really surprised by that! Just goes to show how freaking valuable the camera is, and the video setting in particular. Many of the events would have shown nothing to very little if set on photo, because more than a few showed something late in the 30 second window.

I get REALLY clean and spray down hood before going in here and gave yet to see any negative reactions on the many videos. Some of the deer (like the wide sucker!) look straight at the camera and some have actual come up yo a few feet and looked straight in it with no spooking, there's a video on YouTube that wants us to believe the opposite. They show many videos of deer coming up to the camera and then running off spooked, but Zi tend to think that's more from human scent as they get closer than the camera itself. JMO, works for me so far!

Very darn cool...... I'm looking forward to November first!!!! 8)

Oh yeah........ I use that quote a LOT, as the world and internet are full of them! :roll: :roll:
frisky

Post by frisky »

Nice bucks!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Thanks, it's all I can do to stay out of there and check the card again!

I'm not going back in until Oct 31 to change out the card, check batteries and add a little lure to the scrape dripper. The next day is when my 30 day permit starts, and there's no modern gun or muzzleloader hunting in the area!!! :shock:
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

There on the move here now as evidenced by the increase in car/deer collisons.Local news reports several reported in the last week.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Exactly: the animal rights crowd never reports such things, or do they stop to realize how animals die in the natural world. As in a deer's teeth wearing away to the point that it can no longer eat enough to stay healthy, then winds up being caught and shredded by coyotes, wolves, bears or whatever!

Many decades back I drove up to Rhode Island to pick up a boat. It was late October, and the number of dead, vehicle killed deer on the side of the road was absolutely unreal up around Pennsylvania...... As in every few miles!!!! :oops:
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Lake shooter wrote:Exactly: the animal rights crowd never reports such things, or do they stop to realize how animals die in the natural world. As in a deer's teeth wearing away to the point that it can no longer eat enough to stay healthy, then winds up being caught and shredded by coyotes, wolves, bears or whatever!

Many decades back I drove up to Rhode Island to pick up a boat. It was late October, and the number of dead, vehicle killed deer on the side of the road was absolutely unreal up around Pennsylvania...... As in every few miles!!!! :oops:
Oh so true, son has hit two here in the last month, he's driving to work between 10 pm & 3 am, told me a few nights ago he saw 21 deer in the 12 mile drive :shock:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Your area has SERIOUSLY too many deer, and probably 90% does!!!!! :oops:

I just did some quick searching. Arkansas is about 20% larger than your state but the estimated deer population here is something over 1,000,000, while yours is 1,500,000.
Last edited by Lake shooter on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

There quite a few bucks also, son has been seeing a slammer 10 pt on his drive to work.
I've stressed it to my kids, don't swerve to miss a deer, hit em. Bad things happen when ya swerve and lose control. Try to miss them but, stay on the road....
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Funny there: I preach the EXACT SAME THING to my wife!!!! :shock:

Brilliant minds think alike! :lol:

Looking at your state's deer season dates and bag limits it's an absolute no brainer why there are so many deer........ And deer/vehicle encounters!!! :oops:
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Lake shooter wrote:Funny there: I preach the EXACT SAME THING to my wife!!!! :shock:

Brilliant minds think alike! :lol:

Looking at your state's deer season dates and bag limits it's an absolute no brainer why there are so many deer........ And deer/vehicle encounters!!! :oops:
Getting way off topic here!
That's what happens when politics get involved.
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100