Hawks Are Cool

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rayman

Re: Hawks Are Cool

Post by rayman »

Nature can be a little too AWSOME sometimes. One day last week when I got home there was a disturbance around my son's chicken coop. Start walking back there and see a large bald eagle that appears to be trying to get to the chickens from ground level and hasn't figured out to fly down in from above yet. Robert sells the eggs at church for spending money and we aint having any of that around here. I run in the house, grab the shotgun and a couple of shells, and run back out to the chicken coop. The eagle flies about a hundred yards and lands in a tree back in the woods. I shoot in the air to let it know that it is not welcome around my kid's chicken pen. Hasn't been back so maybe it got the message. And no, I am not going to kill the bald eagle. :)
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

I keep yard chickens. In the spring when they hatch young I have to keep the shop Bay door closed as they often try to escape Hawks by coming in with a Hawk in pursuit. Hawks and custom paint jobs don't work. On a regular basis the Hawks will hit the closed door when they catch one. Loads of fun when you are in the zone working and BAM. Chickens are cheap and the Hawks were here first so it's become something I enjoy. Now the bobcat that jumped on my hunting partners back while we were turkey hunting was not as harmless.(he was calling) The look on both of their faces(his and the cats) was priceless and when I found out he crapped his britches I laughed till I about died. That was years ago and I laughed as I typed this. Minor physical harm, ruined jacket and priceless memory.
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Gotta love the big birds!

I was researching falconry last year and looked into starting an apprenticeship, but those plans were squashed when I checked the bylaws and discovered that it's illegal to keep hawks and eagles in my city. :roll:

It would be cool hunting crows, squirrels, rabbits, and waterfowl with a hawk....
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great stories!
Everytime I see this thread title I think about my Hawk, LaGana Vtac by American tomomhawk..
Hawks are very cool!

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Interesting thread. My contribution goes back several years. Once when fox squirrell hunting w/ a ml, I shot one on a dead branch that 'hung up'.

As I was thinking how to retrieve it, a red tailed hawk landed and proceeded to have lunch.

Thanks for reminding me of it! :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Tomahawks are kool I teach my Scouts to throw them . My sons and I throw on a regular basis. We have several.
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

awshucks wrote:Interesting thread. My contribution goes back several years. Once when fox squirrell hunting w/ a ml, I shot one on a dead branch that 'hung up'.

As I was thinking how to retrieve it, a red tailed hawk landed and proceeded to have lunch.

Thanks for reminding me of it! :mrgreen:
He must have read the federal laws making it illegal for you to shoot him. Did he wink at you when he landed? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

From my Rendevous daysImageImage
Its a Charlie Boles "hammer back" Hawk. It throws super and you can drive your tent stakes with it. Blade is much thinner than most hawks so it balances much more like the knife. Much fun!
Some of the guys at Rendevous were REALLY good at the hawk and knife stuff. It always amazed me to watch some of them as they could pretty much do anything with them. ie. stick a hawk in the back of the target!
Zap

Post by Zap »

KU Jayhawks..........Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duck or Bleed.....
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

What amazed me the most was he just sat there tearing up my squirrell. I had no thoughts on shooting him.

You hawk throwers need 4 toothpick and 2 rubber bands. Put the t-picks to form a 4" square, then 'X' the rubber bands. Or use old playing cards w/ a circle on the back same size as a silver dollar. You get 5 throws.
1 pt for sticking the hawk, 3 if it hits the card, 5 if it cuts the circle.

I 'threw' at the cards at Friendship, In one time in the late 70's at the above. I had a 3 and 3 Fives. Last throw was a '5', but the hawk fell before I grabbed it so I ended up w/ an 18. Had I been a little quicker on the retrieve [23] I 'd of won a S&W jeweled m/l and a Bowie knife w/ jewels. Oh well.

Next 'vous I won the Loaran Bobbett memorial throw at hot dogs stuck on tooth picks horizontally.
"Eze 18:21"
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

the lorena bobbitt memorial could be expanded to be a family event; throw the severed hot dogs in a field....let the kids try to find the matching pieces...then rush them to a triage area where they try to reattach the severed pieces..... :mrgreen:
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Wrong on soo many levels :lol:
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Good stuff........it's nice to see "funny" trump political correctness every now and again. :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><