Do you unstring your bow after season?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcattrapper

Do you unstring your bow after season?

Post by bobcattrapper »

I seen the DVD and it says if you do to take off the some kind of pads too.But does not really make it clear if you need to unstring your bow or not? Say its new in the box and it never sells from a store for maybe 3 yrs it still strung right? So I have a new Axiom and just thought I may not unstring it.But I don't want to make that bad for the limbs.Thoughts?
prossbow

Re: Do you unstring your bow after season?

Post by prossbow »

My Vortex has been strung since 2009 plus whatever time it was on the rack.

I have changed strings, but it's always strung.

Kevin
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Had my bow 7+ years, it is cocked for almost half of that.
I have never let it sit without a string.
It shot 300FPS the day I got it, now it shoots 300FPS.
I think they tell you that because they don't want it hanging beside a furnace, so a rule of thumb, take it off.
You will absolutely not hurt your bow by leaving it strung, if you store it correctly.
Cant hunt when your string is in a drawer.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

In the 5+ years I've had mine I've always unstrung in the off season. The previous owner said he always did, so I just continued. They say to remove the rubber pads on the ends of the D-bars if you unstring--the limbs will move forward and could squash the pads and ruin them. Bow is about 10 yrs old, rated at 330, shoots 328. Unstringing may be completely unnecessary, I dont know, but it makes me feel better about off season storage so I do it, it takes all of 5 minutes. I did read in some old Excal FAQs somewhere that said something like your limbs will appreciate being allowed to relax when not used for long periods of time.

edited...
" 16. How often should I unstring my Excalibur?
You don't have to unstring your crossbow every time you use it, but it will appreciate having its limbs relaxed at least between seasons when you aren't using it. The #1 concern is that you NEVER leave the string on if your bow is exposed to high heat, such as in the trunk of a car in the summer sun!"

From http://www.crossbow-hunting-crossbows-e ... p#Unstring
FWIW these are some *old* FAQs and they may have been referring to carved tip limbs, I dont know.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not sure how many years I've owned my Phoenix but I bought it within a few weeks of when the Phoenix was first introduced.
I always took the string off over the "off season" which is about 6 months here.
I have 2 friends who bought the Phoenix model after I let them shoot mine, and both of them leave it strung year-round and store theirs like I do (in an un-airconditioned shop/garage. After seeing no change in performance on their bows from year to year I finally decided it was un-necessary to remove the string for the summer and left mine strung this year.

I actually replaced the limbs (had a splinter and Dan Miller exchanged them for me) right after deer season ended in February. When I got the new limbs on I sighted it in and left it strung (with the new string I had put on) so the string would "settle in".

When I got it out for the annual pre-season sight check it was still right on after I adjusted the brace height!
wabi
Fishous

Post by Fishous »

What is this "off season" thing you guys speak of? :lol:
Mike
Excalibur Matrix 355
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

^^lol^^ yeah is there such a thing ??....

I never have unstrung my 2008 exocet 200 since new with no problems :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.