Plant food plot in fall? Or spring?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kenreich

Plant food plot in fall? Or spring?

Post by Kenreich »

Just quickly, can or should I plant food plots in the fall? I live North of Toronto, Ontario...and any recommendations on what to plant?

Thanks...
rattlerun

Re: Plant food plot in fall? Or spring?

Post by rattlerun »

I like fall. Less competition with weeds.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Need more info on what your considering planting . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

You really don't have any growing season to speak of. I would bait with apples and corn before spending money on seeds, fertilizer etc.
Here's some good reading in regards to food plots etc. http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/ ... 9dd8e1f93d
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

We do both. Summer fields are high protein stuff for antler growth and milk production but it's also to keep them used to coming to the fields regularly. Once the acorns and natural forage are gone the deer usually hit the fall fields pretty good around here. Our fall fields are a blend of wheat, oats, rye, winter peas, turnips, turnip greens, white clover, sugar beets, brassica, white radishes, and whatever is in 'big buck blend'. One side benefit is if you get stranded in the woods you can make yourself a heck of a salad. :D What you plant will depend a lot on your location, find something that draws deer to a field and can still grow well in your climate.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Kenreich

Post by Kenreich »

Okay, thanks for the help guy's

Ken
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

From someone that thought food plots would be simple enough, just throw it and grow it, right? Wrong.

Very time consuming, labor, chemical and machinery intensive if you want to do it right $$$$$. I wasted a lot of good time over the years without anything in the way of trophy buck production, which to me was always a myth. Your area either grows big bucks or it doesn't and my farms in MI just don't. They were fun to hunt over, but so is just about any crop.

To your point, depending on the seed, soil type and geographic location, planting times vary and the supplier will be forthcoming about those details. I had better success with spring plantings for perennials and fall plantings for annuals. I recommend wildlife institute products for their customer service alone, very helpful.

Proceed knowing that it'll be time consuming and expensive at best.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

You need to log on to qdma.com forums and do some reading . VERY smart people on there and glad to help you with any questions you have.
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]